Half of American Teenagers Feel Addicted To Their Phones

HardOCP News

[H] News
Only half of the teens in the U.S. feel addicted to the phones? That number seems low. The other half were probably too busy using their phones to respond to the poll. ;)

Half of teenagers in the United States feel addicted to their mobile phones, with most checking the devices at least every hour and feeling pressured to respond immediately to messages, a survey released on Tuesday found. Its survey is the latest indication of American families struggling to balance mobile devices in an age of ever-evolving technology. It also underscores the ongoing debate over Internet addiction and its consequences.

Only half?

haha More like the other half felt ashamed and didn't respond to the poll. :)

Only half?

haha More like the other half felt ashamed and didn't respond to the poll. :)
Yeah I was going to say, another study "Half of teenagers are delusional about being addicted to their phones"

And they weren't ashamed to respond to the poll, they just have too much stuff they need to tap away at to respond to the poll!

I'm so NOT addicted to my phone that I had to Google where the call button was so I could use the damn thing. I despise phones unless it is an emergency.

I'm so NOT addicted to my phone that I had to Google where the call button was so I could use the damn thing. I despise phones unless it is an emergency.

funny part about this... the phone is probably the least used portion of a smart device for kids these days... from video chat, text etc... actual phone coversations are rare I think.

When we go out, I have my family leave the phones in the car. We have a much better time. Sad to see four college aged kids eating dinner, all staring at their phones.

I don't think that 1,240 parents represent the entire population of the USA: Google

I'd like to see a larger sample size and where the samples were taken from.

funny part about this... the phone is probably the least used portion of a smart device for kids these days... from video chat, text etc... actual phone coversations are rare I think.

I can verify that.
We have 3 phones on a family plan. Each month, I always have the most call minutes (mainly due to work), the wife has a small amount of call minutes, the kid usually has zero minutes.
The amount of texts are the reverse of that, with the kid usually having 10x more than me and the wife combined :confused:

I think it's a little short sighted to only point at the teens.

My old lady is pretty much a phone junky.

I have to bring her phone in the morning along with her coffee. If I bring the phone first she don't say nothing, but if I drop off the coffee first, I'll hear about the phone immediately.

This is probably my typical usage,
iphone battery 2.JPG

So, I think this is getting blown out of proportion.

First off, MOST physiologists would argue that 'Addiction' is not the correct term for a non-chemical attachment. The correct phrase is 'Dependency'. Teens feel dependent on their phones and devices. This has NOT CHANGED. Remember in your youth Pre-Millennium of sitting in your room for hours talking on the landline, having your parents nag that they want to use the phone? Nothing much has changed, just another way for news sites to incite undue anger amongst the "good 'ol days-ers".

First off, MOST physiologists would argue that 'Addiction' is not the correct term for a non-chemical attachment. The correct phrase is 'Dependency'. Teens feel dependent on their phones and devices. This has NOT CHANGED. Remember in your youth Pre-Millennium of sitting in your room for hours talking on the landline, having your parents nag that they want to use the phone? Nothing much has changed, just another way for news sites to incite undue anger amongst the "good 'ol days-ers".

It's just dopamine hits; same as playing the slots.

Well the fact the phone can be put in a pocket and used almost anywhere seems to be different. Though I agree with your comment that the behavior is basically the same, technology just has made it capable to replace other forms of interaction, which is happening. As with anything, extremes are generally not good.

Back