Half Of All Software In Brazil Is Pirated

HardOCP News

[H] News
Half of all software in Brazil is pirated? Half? Wow. If these numbers are even close to being accurate there is a serious piracy problem in Brazil. :eek:

The number has been released as part of the National Anti-Piracy Day last week, when the Brazilian software association destroyed over 2 million fake software copies. The material had been confiscated as a result of search operations for pirated software carried out by the police over the last few years.

national anti-piracy day......

is this up there with days for diseases or veterans.

next up Anti-Breach of Non-Disclosure Agreement Day. Gotta make people aware of that for the alphas they play and take videos of!

Well hello, every country with a lot of poverty is filled with pirates. And pick pockets.

Doesn't Brazil have some kind of ridiculously high tax on game consoles? Does that extend to games and/or software?

I've been there and this is very very true. I my old company had an office down there which I visited on several occasions. They have a huge import taxes to try and promote in-country manufacturing and development so everything imported has massive taxes sometimes approaching 100%.

I thought it would be a lot higher than that realistically. But then again the way they calculate these numbers is utter bullshit anyway so they can say anything they want.

I didn't read the article but did it mention the fact that a lot of the software (and movies) that are pirated in these countries aren't actually available to purchase through legal means?

The same thing is true in the Philippines.

However, 50% sounds too low.

There are way too many computers here in the Philippines running the Ultimate edition of Windows, and I've already encountered some that have pop-up nags about how 'this copy of Windows is counterfeit / not genuine'.

50% sounds low to me. I've been to Brazil about 20 times, including once trying to build a new pc with a legitimate copy of windows & 8 major retailers (think Wal-mart) didn't even have a Retail Box copy of windows on the shelf.

With that being said, that saves me from having to fix pcs while down there. If people don't have a hologram sticker and/or original media I shrug my shoulders. NOT my problem.

On the other hand a few have taken me up on installing linux...

Back