Half Of All Smart TVs Aren't Connected To The Net

HardOCP News

[H] News
You mean to tell me that half the people that buy smart TVs don't use them the way they were intended? Pfft. Next thing you are going to tell me is that most people watch SD content on their HDTVs and 3D still sucks.

Internet-enabled televisions have become the next big thing. LG, Sony, Panasonic, Samsung and Sharp, among others, offer TV sets with apps and Wi-Fi connectivity. Just because someone has an Internet TV, however, doesn’t mean he or she it using it. “People are buying connected TVs, but they are not all using them,” said Norm Bogen, vice president for digital entertainment at research firm NPD In-Stat.

Most of the people that buy these from me don't care that they have the internet features, they just want the better quality TVs, which just happen to also have internet features. On the other hand, I have sold a few of them to families that wanted something cheap, but once they realized they could use their netflix sub with the better TVs, decided to upgrade. To each his own, I guess.

Mine isn't connected. For Netflix I have the Xbox 360, my main TV watching is done on a Windows Media Center so pretty anything you can do on a smart TV I can do better on a PC platform. (Netflix being the one exception where the Xbox 360 version just looks better than Windows Media Center's version of Netflix both in UI and the actual movie once it's playing)

Representing here. 55" Vizio.

At approx. $9 an app per month to use? ummm...fuk dat. Oh, and I also view in SD because I just don't give a krap about TV content. I just got the damn thing to keep the wife quite and out of my hair. Worth every penny. :cool:

The net features are generally so slow on the TV's its not worth it.

Its also such a slap in the face that they increase the price because of these features that no one uses.

I have a 42" HDTV and HD service through Comcast, yet my roommate is bound determined she will NOT learn how to turn to the HD channels. She always comments "wow, that looks so much nicer than when I watch tv." but refuses to listen to me when I tell her certain channels are the same as what she watches, but in HD. Some people are just too stupid to handle using HD service.

(Seriously, though, I HATE my roommate. She's voluntarily stupid, just because she doesn't want to listen, and hardly does any chores around the apartment. She won't even take out the trash or put away the dishes. The worst thing is that there are a LOT of people out there like her, and too many on the road.)

I have a "smart" TV, but since my TV is already hooked up to my PC I don't need a kludgy TV-specific app to do what I can already do using the computer of a console. In the case of Hulu, Netflix, and the like - my 360, PS3, Wii, PC, etc. can all do those things better.
With some of them that have things like Facebook and Twitter...do people really need a 50th device that can do those things slower and more inefficiently than their phone?

IMO, the internet functional TV's won't really hit their stride until everything is integrated into them better than other sources. Things like being able to click on football players in-game and search for info on them and the like.

Most of the people that buy these from me don't care that they have the internet features, they just want the better quality TVs, which just happen to also have internet features.
This is me. The Smart stuff is ok but i want the better panels and back lighting.

Really just need to start selling big assed computer monitors. Top of the line panel, mess of HDMI, Display Port, maybe even a DVI just for shits and giggles. No tuner. Who the fuck uses those anyhow? Hell I cant with Comcast now its 110% digital. Cable line directly into my TV = Minnesota.

Couple issues here.
1) Not all "Smart" TVs have built in WiFi. Samsung wants $80 for their dual band USB dongle. Note to Samsung and the rest, if the TV is over a grand throw in a wireless adapter. On top of that most people don't know about products like this adapter that will work with anything with an Ethernet port. Then there's the whole usefulness of Smart TVs. The apps are crap (Samsung) and load slow as hell. If you want to search anything you better have the Samsung app for your phone otherwise it will take forever to type in what you want on the standard remote.
2) I've been with Dish Network over 5 years. I decided to call them yesterday about upgrading my old receivers to HD receivers. No problem, but they wanted me to upgrade my package, pay a higher rental fee for the new receivers, and I still wouldn't have a DVR. I told them to go pound sand. I don't understand this. I have a huge 10' antenna in the attic (from the old residents) and I can pick up every local station in HD and I"m on average 45 miles from broadcast stations. But Dish wants me to pay for those channels? Uh, I'll stick with SD stretched to HD.

Bought my TV specifically for the ability to watch Netflix directly through it. I don't use any of the other installed apps, but the built in Netflix gets used more than anything else.

I don't even want internet connection for my TV because it just becomes another tool for them to spy on me with and is another security risk vector. I have a PS3 if I want that but even that I disco from the internet 99% of the time. 2 PCs out of 5 is all I allow to connect to the internet and that is how I like it. Far less maintenance getting bloody security updates all the time.

I don't even want internet connection for my TV because it just becomes another tool for them to spy on me with and is another security risk vector. I have a PS3 if I want that but even that I disco from the internet 99% of the time. 2 PCs out of 5 is all I allow to connect to the internet and that is how I like it. Far less maintenance getting bloody security updates all the time.

Did you have your hat custom tailored, or is it off the rack? Do you prefer tinfoil or aluminum? ;)

Computers are of little use anymore without an internet connection. TV's will soon follow.

Also don't forget that a lot of people are just plain dumb and either don't know that their HDTV has the capability or just can't figure out how to connect it.

Mine is on the internet only to get firmware upgrades. I don't use any of the services my TV offers... I'm just hope they fix the 1:1 pixel mapping scaling defect....

This is me. The Smart stuff is ok but i want the better panels and back lighting.

Really just need to start selling big assed computer monitors. Top of the line panel, mess of HDMI, Display Port, maybe even a DVI just for shits and giggles. No tuner. Who the fuck uses those anyhow? Hell I cant with Comcast now its 110% digital. Cable line directly into my TV = Minnesota.

I use the tuner on my 73" TV. I was wondering lately if I upgraded to a projector what the heck I need to receive OTA broadcasts. Why the hell would I want to pay exorbitant cable or satellite rates for the few hours I watch TV vs. gaming or Blu-Ray movies/television shows.

It's almost impossible to buy a high-end HDTV these days without it being considered a "Smart TV." Same goes for having 3D capabilities. You want a nice high-end Panasonic Plasma set? Well it's going to have shitty internet-connected "apps" and 3D capabilities. But I certainly wouldn't use any of those useless features.

Most of these tv's are probably the ones that have to be wried. If the manufacturers had built in WiFi the internet features may have been adopted a lot better. Most people aren't going to take the effort to run a Cat5 cable to their entertainment center.

I actually use the Netflix and Amazon apps on my tv, because they give HD streaming that I can't get through my PC.

When I went to visit my parents for Christmas, my stepfather was showing me his new Samsung "Smart TV" that he bought from Best Buy. I asked him where the network connection was and he said "I don't know". I asked him if the salesperson said anything about buying a USB dongle and he said "No".

The end result of a technology ignorant person shopping at a store that doesn't care. I'm sure this happens over and over everyday.

my mom has two HDTV's in her house, a 40 and a 55" and neither of them get used to watch hd media, she has satellite and just the basic, and a dvd player, no blu ray. silly old people. I've been trying to talk my dad into getting a Smart tv because he HATES commercials. I told him I'd hook him up with my netflix account, and he thinks youtube is awesome for music videos.

Mine is on the internet only to get firmware upgrades. I don't use any of the services my TV offers... I'm just hope they fix the 1:1 pixel mapping scaling defect....

This right here. Firmware upgrades only.

Did you have your hat custom tailored, or is it off the rack? Do you prefer tinfoil or aluminum? ;)

Computers are of little use anymore without an internet connection. TV's will soon follow.

You only think that because "they" told you to think that. My laptop is a music server connected to my stereo via HDMI and has no need for IC at all. 2 of my PCs are retro game boxes and have no need for IC either. PS3 is only used for movies and games, don't need Sony snooping how long I play games or watch movies. Using the web on a PS3 sucks too.

Lastly, I just like beating them at their own game. For example, my OS is identified to web sites as OSX and my browser as Safari, neither is true. I do it just because I don't like snoopers and not because I wear a tin foil hat.

My TV is connected to get firmware updates. LG Tv's suck for their Plex apps, which is the only stupid thing I could find useful on the thing.

My Samsung C8000 has 3D and "Smart" features that I'll never use. I bought the thing for better image quality. Its DLNA capabilities may have seen use, but it's hooked up to an HTPC.

If I could get the same TV without "smart" features for a couple hundred less (it's an expensive TV to begin with) I would... especially because that's about what I built my HTPC for, and it can do so much more than any built-in app can.

I'm not shocked at all. The main selling points of HDTVs is that they are thinner than a normal TV and can be hung on the wall. A distant third would be that they use less power.

Most people don't give a flying fuck about 1080p, smart TV, or 3D and don't pay attention to those things. They simply get the biggest, slimmest, screen they can afford and whatever else happens to come with it, oh well!

Likewise most people didn't give a crap about any "quality" improvements that DVD brought. What people liked were smaller discs, not having to deal with tape in your VCR getting stuck, and not having to rewind them. Which is why blue-ray having "better video and audio" is not a selling point or an improvement that most people care about.

I have a 42" HDTV and HD service through Comcast, yet my roommate is bound determined she will NOT learn how to turn to the HD channels. She always comments "wow, that looks so much nicer than when I watch tv." but refuses to listen to me when I tell her certain channels are the same as what she watches, but in HD. Some people are just too stupid to handle using HD service.

Unless you live in an area where they haven't done it yet, just tell her to hit ok on the remote twice. At least where I live the box prompts that what you are watching is available in HD, but won't turn for you unless you hit enter when it prompts.

In another year or so the numbers will be standard nationwide anyways. 1000 will be HD channels, as an example if say TNT is channel 40 in SD it will be 1040 after the change.

Also don't forget that a lot of people are just plain dumb and either don't know that their HDTV has the capability or just can't figure out how to connect it.

I think people are starting to know better now, but the problem is that Comcast still charges more for HD converters than they do for DCTs and standard convertors in some areas. I know several people now who have HD sets but old GI convertors simply because they don't want to pay $10 more on their bill to use it.

Only thing I wished my Smart TV had was ESPN3. That would be awesome.

But I do use it for Netflix. It's just easier than turning my PC on to watch it, and easier to navigate with my remote. Has Hulu as well... but I'm not paying for a service that makes me watch commercials. Has MLB and NHL, but I don't watch neither of those sports.

Pandora as well, which is neat if you got a party and want some music playing.

Unless you live in an area where they haven't done it yet, just tell her to hit ok on the remote twice. At least where I live the box prompts that what you are watching is available in HD, but won't turn for you unless you hit enter when it prompts.

In another year or so the numbers will be standard nationwide anyways. 1000 will be HD channels, as an example if say TNT is channel 40 in SD it will be 1040 after the change.

That is one thing I love about AT&T U-Verse is that they already do this.

You only think that because "they" told you to think that. My laptop is a music server connected to my stereo via HDMI and has no need for IC at all. 2 of my PCs are retro game boxes and have no need for IC either. PS3 is only used for movies and games, don't need Sony snooping how long I play games or watch movies. Using the web on a PS3 sucks too.

Lastly, I just like beating them at their own game. For example, my OS is identified to web sites as OSX and my browser as Safari, neither is true. I do it just because I don't like snoopers and not because I wear a tin foil hat.

can't tell if you're serious or trolling.

Mine is on the internet only to get firmware upgrades. I don't use any of the services my TV offers...

My Sony is connected, but mainly for firmware and the program guide updates.
My local cable still broadcasts in analog and the local channels also available in Qam/HD, so having the on-screen guide works.

I rarely use any of the smart apps because they are worthless. The TV has Netflix built in, but if I try to watch anything in HD, it will pause or drop the connection multiple times during the movie (This is over a wired 100mb connection). Watching the same Netflix HD using my HTPC has no problems and looks better.

Stupid Industry. They all seem to forget the main reason people by TVs are to watch TV, movies and maybe console gaming. I mean, you can do all that on your phone, your laptop, your desktop, why would I want to do it on my TV?

My favorite is when I come into our living room and find people in our house watching SD channels on our HDTV when we actually have the same channel in HD :rolleyes:

I wish there were a way to remove all SD channels from the lineup, so only the HD channels are visible.

Yep, you win alright.

I liked the idea of using just the tv for Facebook, Youtube, Netflix and local media. We even bought a switch so that its hardlined to our network. But all those apps are much faster and much easier on a HTPC that has a mouse and keyboard.

The current status of Smart TV's are akin to floppy disks in terms of where they need to be to be useful and enjoyable. I suppose the merging of computers, internet and TV will soon be upon us.

If I could get the same TV without "smart" features for a couple hundred less (it's an expensive TV to begin with) I would... especially because that's about what I built my HTPC for, and it can do so much more than any built-in app can.

You can't get that kind of price break because the cost of adding media features to a TV is relatively slim. Think about the cost of an entry-level HD streaming box (roughly $60) and cut that in half, and you have your cost of materials.

They just use the extra features of the Smart TV to give people more reasons than "better panel" to spend extra on their TV. You might not care about it, but somebody will...and with such a low cost to add it to premium models, why wouldn't you?

Back