Half-Life: Ray Traced

Armenius

Extremely [H]
This person is developing a way to easily port fixed function OpenGL rendering to real time path tracing through hardware acceleration using Vulkan and applying it to Half-Life. They have already done work on Serious Sam, as well.

Too bad it’s not ray traced Black Mesa
Seriously. Half-Life was great in its day, but it's very old now. The geometry of the models and the low polycounts do not look good anymore. Why ray trace it? Ray tracing old games is the gaming equivalent of having 4,000 wheels and tires on a beat 1980's land yacht.

Seriously. Half-Life was great in its day, but it's very old now. The geometry of the models and the low polycounts do not look good anymore. Why ray trace it? Ray tracing old games is the gaming equivalent of having 4,000 wheels and tires on a beat 1980's land yacht.
Because they can mostly. The reason we see this happening on old games is two fold I think:

1) The source code is out there so someone can. IF they get a bee in their butt they can just do it.

2) It will actually run ok because it is so simple. I imagine if you tried to fully path trace a modern title, it would run too slow even on the beefiest hardware.

Also in this case I imagine the fact that the OG goldsrc is heavily based on the Quake engine, and that has already been RT'd, makes it easier.

Crappy HL + RT, or fantastic re-make called Black Mesa... decisions, decisions.

The trend really needs to stop. It’s like people enjoy looking at old ass games that run like hell on modern hardware.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
Half-Life: A Full RT/Path-Traced Upgrade for the OG PC Classic Tested

821440_t02g890t70na1.jpg

It's still better than a lot of modern games, dated graphics or not. Doing this with older titles gives RT a chance to really shine (pun entirely intended) and show what's possible when there aren't the performance concerns of current titles. I find the work people are doing with these games impressive and interesting. That said, if you don't like it, simply don't play it. I don't see the point of shitting on the work of modders just because you can't enjoy games with dated graphics.

Back