Half Life and Portal Writer is Back at Valve

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by AlphaAtlas, Jan 4, 2019.

1. AlphaAtlas

AlphaAtlas [H]ard|Gawd Staff Member

Shacknews says that Eric Wolpaw, the writer behind Half Life, Portal and Left 4 Dead, is back at Valve. Following several other high profile departures, Eric left the gaming company about 2 years ago, and many saw it as a symptom of Valve's shift away from actually developing games. Shacknews first heard about his return via an (allegedly) leaked email floating around social media websites, but they ended up finding Wolpaw's name in the Artifact credits. As they note, Valve is facing some stiff competition in the PC gaming storefront space, and some newer titles from Valve could make the Steam store more competitive.

Before our readers start confirming Half-Life 3 or Left 4 Dead 3 or Portal 3, it is important to remember that Valve recently demonstrated the ability to count to three. It may take some time for the creative juices to start flowing at the company. Valve's boss man Gabe Newell is on the record saying that "Artifact is the first of several games that are going to be coming from us. So that's sort of good news. Hooray! Valve's going to start shipping games again." Wolpaw's return along with the acquisiton of Firewatch developer Campo Santo definitely adds some credibility to Gabe's claims. It also makes sense that Valve Software is going to get back to making games as they face increasing competition in the PC digital software storefront landscape... Shout out to shirif for bringing this to our attention with his Chatty post.

Krazy925 likes this.
  2. U-238

U-238 Limp Gawd

This doesn't really mean anything... This doesn't really mean anything... This doesn't really mean anything... Ah screw it.

HL3 cOnfIrmEd yOU gUys!!!!1!1!!!!!!One!!!1!!!

3. Monkey34

Monkey34 [H]ardness Supreme

I'd believe a new Portal or L4D....but I'd eat my shorts if they ever did another HL.

{NG}Fidel likes this.
  4. djoye

djoye 2[H]4U

Artifact is apparently doing poorly, maybe that'll convince them to get make to making games that appeal to a broader audience. I'm probably just out of touch, but card games seem very niche to me.

The pessimistic side of me says that they don't need to make popular games because they can ride on the income the store makes.

5. Accursed

Accursed Limp Gawd

Concerning Artifact; did we really need yet another card trading game? Way to innovate, Valve...

6. sc5mu93

sc5mu93 [H]Lite

My kids are getting into Portal and Half Life now. It would be great to let them experience one (produced by Valve) that isn't a decade old.

DoubleTap likes this.
  7. Jagger100

Jagger100 [H]ardness Supreme

8. fightingfi

fightingfi Look at Me! I need the attention.

2019 Game of the Yr is...............HALF LIFE 3

{NG}Fidel likes this.
  9. fightingfi

i bet your video of you eating your shorts goes viral :p

10. JavaLava

JavaLava [H]Lite

FTFY

{NG}Fidel, cyclone3d and SticKx911 like this.
  11. Yock

Yock n00b

If they are going to make another game then please for the love of every thing holy don't let it be another battle royal game!

Or online game for that matter..

DocNo, tempertantrum and Balzac like this.
  12. SticKx911

SticKx911 2[H]4U

Reboot half-life? Compromise between inability to create but an audience desire to return to the series. It worked for tomb raider.

13. Domingo

Domingo [H]ard as it Gets

I'd even settle for another L4D game. It has been long enough that the first two are pretty dated now.

14. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse [H]ard|Gawd

I think they need to finish the HL story since it ended on a huge cliffhanger.....
    I'm not holding my breath for HL 3 though.
    Probably a whole new title, they need to get back to creating games because that's where they made their bread and butter. The store is just the finical support for the development! (one can only hope)

15. DejaWiz

DejaWiz Oracle of Unfortunate Truths

Half Dead Portal confirmed!

16. seanreisk

seanreisk Gawd

I have wood.

If someone were to announce a new chapter in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. franchise they would probably find me unconscious from lack of blood.

Silverlok, deton8 and Jeremy C like this.
  17. Gweenz

Gweenz [H]ard|Gawd

18. Lakados

Lakados [H]ard|Gawd

But they cost nearly nothing to develop, implement, and maintain. Yet can produce disproportionately huge revinue if they take off.

19. mullet

mullet [H]ard|Gawd

Please, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. IKV1476

IKV1476 Lurker

I was thinking the same thing. I am to slow this morning, need more caffeine.

21. atarumoroboshi18

atarumoroboshi18 [H]Lite

Half Life Mobile Edition confirmed!

"You guys have Steam Boxes, don't you?!"

22. Woody1150

Woody1150 [H]Lite

If HL3 does come out, how many people would pre-order it?

mullet likes this.
  23. ThatsAgood1jay

ThatsAgood1jay [H]ard|Gawd

If any new game from Valve comes, I imagine it will just, appear one day. No hype train, no pre-release beta system.

I would love it if they just dropped Portal 3 on the world some random friday in June.

Silverlok and {NG}Fidel like this.
  24. TheOne&OnlyZeke

TheOne&OnlyZeke 100% Irish

Well I've never played any of the HL games, but after reading all the Wiki stuff there on the plots, man I can't wait for episode 3
    That'll be out soon right?
    Right you guys?

:D

Denpepe likes this.
  25. illli

illli [H]ard|Gawd

by this point i'm convinced that if we see another Hl game, it'll be some kind of vr game, to help push vr/units/sales.

26. SecretStash

SecretStash Limp Gawd

Valve is getting uncomfortable with others competing wih steam. They have to do something.

27. fightingfi

28. fightingfi

all *3* of them?

cyclone3d likes this.
  29. Jeremy C

Jeremy C Gawd

You're not the only one. Stalker is easily one of my highest replayed games in modern gaming.

{NG}Fidel likes this.
  30. piscian18

piscian18 [H]ardForum Junkie

There was a documentary where they toured Valve and talked really indepth with Gabe a few years ago. He stated pretty bluntly that no one had pitched a script to him that made since for HL3 so he'd refuse to spend any money or cycles on development until a good script was ready. I wonder if the writer had some yureka moment and popped out a feasible script. I think youd have to jump ahead a bit and reset things but I could see it. Still wouldn't preorder it. A portal 3 or L4D3 would be cool too.

31. piscian18

piscian18 [H]ardForum Junkie

I stilled haven't beaten COP :(

32. Woody1150

Woody1150 [H]Lite

I have no doubt they would have some kind of "Collectors" edition that you could pre-order to get all of them. In fact, I could imagine them having all sorts of weird pre-order "perks". One edition coming with a crowbar for example.

33. NickJames

NickJames [H]ardness Supreme

This is definitely for their VR project.

34. cyclone3d

cyclone3d [H]ardForum Junkie

working anti-gravity gun or they can shove the collector's edition where the sun don't shine! :D

35. Pongo

Pongo n00b

6 months ago I would agree, things have changed. Epic is snagging Unreal engine games to be exclusive to their store and have the most popular game on twitch presently. I wonder if Valve is feeling some pressure to release a killer app on their platform. :) One can hope.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  36. GMcDougal

GMcDougal Gawd

HL3 confirmation!!

37. deton8

deton8 Limp Gawd

I'll just leave this https://twitter.com/gsc_gw?lang=en

38. Accursed

Accursed Limp Gawd

Almost out of principle I would avoid it. Billionaire @sshole Gabe never even gave us a proper ending to HL2. We played Ep1 then in Ep 2, he leaves us in a bad spot and decides to f*ck his fan base and leave us there since Oct 2007! He Owed us the promised closure and never delivered! Gabe eat a d*ck!

LightsOut41, DooKey and {NG}Fidel like this.
  39. maxius

maxius 2[H]4U

I and the rest of the forum will hold you to that.

imagine this valve releasing the 3's on us all HL3, Portal 3, L4D3, CS3, TF3, DOTA3 and ect...

40. capnstabn

capnstabn Limp Gawd

I would pay up front for HL3 or a new Portal. Anything from EA or Activision requires vetting from now on.

mord likes this.