Half Life: Alyx

You're all making me jealous, I still have 2 months to wait for my Index. At the very least, any bugs that crop up should be handled by then.

Do you play it sitting down, standing, walking around a room??? My VR experience is nil.

interesting comments at the 5:43 mark..."if you already have a VR setup then this is a must have game but if you don't have one then don't bother, it's not a system seller"...all 3 say it's the best VR game they've ever played but it's not worth buying a $1000 Valve Index for...all 3 got motion sickness with it and couldn't continue playing (and they have never gotten motion sickness in any VR game prior)...they switched to the Oculus Rift S and had no issues all the way through

I need to use teleport to move or I get sick. I guess you can get used to a “joystick” type movement but I like my teleport. I noticed none of them were using teleport.

I love this game. My eleven year old was too freaked out by it though lol.

Which tends to work the best? It's hard to imagine playing a long game standing up the whole time.
Standing and turning is what I said in my previous post, before it got deleted.

I only play for 30 min to an hour at a time anyways. I don't think I've ever sat once and done VR.

Standing and turning is what I said in my previous post, before it got deleted...I only play for 30 min to an hour at a time anyways. I don't think I've ever sat once and done VR

so you do get motion sickness if you try and play for 2+ hours?...I think that's what Angry Joe and others were referring to when talking about getting sick after playing for long stretches

Just played for about three hours, having a damn good time so far. Little slow though maybe, I find myself wanting some more action.

so you do get motion sickness if you try and play for 2+ hours?...I think that's what Angry Joe and others were referring to when talking about getting sick after playing for long stretches
The only time I ever got even a slight motion sickness was in the beginning of Blade and Sorcery when you're looking at yourself in a mirror. My wife couldn't even get passed that part. She would lean to the right and fall on her ass, LOL.

I've played maybe an hour tops in VR and I don't even remember what game I was playing at the time. It just doesn't keep my attention span for that long.

Ok which of the cheaper headsets is the best? I might be willing to drop $400 and give VR a shot with this game. The Samsung Odyssey looks good for $300 ish dollars. Is the rift worth the extra money?

Last edited:
Ok which of the cheaper headsets is the best? I might be willing to drop $400 and give VR a shot with this game. The Samsung Odyssey looks good for $300 ish dollars. Is the rift worth the extra money?
Imo yes the rift s or quest is worth the extra, you get 5 cameras on the rift s and 4 on the quest which improves hand tracking by alot vs the Odyssey and it's 2 cameras. For me the Odyssey is what you buy if your more into flight/space/driving Sims with other VR games as a second thought.

The quest has 1 less camera but you get the perk of a pc-less VR experience as well which is very cool. The rift s is pcvr only but has slightly higher refresh rate and 1 extra camera.

Imo yes the rift s or quest is worth the extra, you get 5 cameras on the rift s and 4 on the quest which improves hand tracking by alot vs the Odyssey and it's 2 cameras. For me the Odyssey is what you buy if your more into flight/space/driving Sims with other VR games as a second thought.

The quest has 1 less camera but you get the perk of a pc-less VR experience as well which is very cool. The rift s is pcvr only but has slightly higher refresh rate and 1 extra camera.
Yea the rift s looks good. I think I might spring for it.

Last edited:
How is the rift with glasses? Is it actually usable with them on.
It's supposed to work well. The lenses in the headset have an adjustable depth, so you can adjust them to get the viewport correct. I demoed an original Rift and PSVR with glasses and it was doable, but not very comfortable. I have no experience with the Rift S, though. Thankfully my astigmatism isn't so bad that I can play VR without glasses. There is also a company that makes VR lenses for your prescription for a number of popular HMDs.

$1000 for sold out index is a hefy price to pay. prolly watch used ones go on ebay or somewhere else after people get tired of it.

The only way to get motion sickness in VR is with continuous motion controls. I tried it and immediately knew I couldn't play that way. If you use the teleport controls you'll be fine to play for as long as you want.

Can you remove attachments once you spend resin on them? I think the iron sites are way better on the pistol.

anyone playing on a 1st gen non-S Oculus Rift?...how is the experience?

Works well for me.

I have no complaints and don't see a reason to upgrade for what it's worth.

I ended up moving my pc to the living room for a bit more space. Not much work really, but helps a hella lot for this game.

Tracking works great, visuals are fantastic on my 2080s

If anyone is having any issues with jittering or lag, I turned off AA and that seemed to help a lot. I'm on a mobile 2070.

Can you remove attachments once you spend resin on them? I think the iron sites are way better on the pistol.

Glad I'm not the only one that thinks that.

Irons are easy to use and those holographic sights are just odd to me

Also, am I the only one that keeps trying to grab birds before they fly away?

Had the exact same thought. I got used to it after a while.

Also, am I the only one that keeps trying to grab birds before they fly away?
Nope.

I'm about 8 hours in and looking at the chapters list I'm probably just over half way through. I'm still loving every second of it. I cant convince my brain that the heights don't actually exist. Every time I'm next to a ledge I get that nice feeling in my stomach. I've also stumbled a few times either while on stairs or on a tight platform when I'm taking a step and suddenly look down. My brain keeps telling me I'm about to fall in real life. Definitely not something I was expecting.

I only wish my play area was a little bigger. I can only take a few steps in any direction before the boundaries pop up.

so Valve lied when they said that VR was the only possible way to play this game?...the presence of the "vr_enable_fake_vr_test" flag implies that the tools needed to play Half-Life: Alyx without VR are already in place

so Valve lied when they said that VR was the only possible way to play this game?...the presence of the "vr_enable_fake_vr_test" flag implies that the tools needed to play Half-Life: Alyx without VR are already in place

If you count half implemented half assed test version of an experimental feature that someone forgot to remove from the Retail veersion the same as something fully implemented and tested a lie, then yes they lied. (not so ironically a lot of games these days actually release in that state so who knows)

Valve has released its first update to Half-Life: Alyx and among the bug fixes and changes is a big improvement for the way the VR game handles movement...players can now 'continuous turn' with various associated turning speed options, a highly requested feature from fans who have played so far...the previous turning mechanic, quick turn, has been renamed 'snap turn' - which better fits its functionality...

https://steamcommunity.com/games/546560/announcements/detail/2100307193365928745

Last edited:
Valve has released its first update to Half-Life: Alyx and among the bug fixes and changes is a big improvement for the way the VR game handles movement...players can now 'continuous turn' with various associated turning speed options, a highly requested feature from fans who have played so far...the previous turning mechanic, quick turn, has been renamed 'snap turn' - which better fits its functionality...

https://steamcommunity.com/games/546560/announcements/detail/2100307193365928745

This was the only bug i was hoping would be a quick fix
quick turn could be disabled in the launch version, but the setting didn't make a difference.

Mind boggling that people still won't give VR a try "just for one game" . There's tons of good VR content and games to stay entertained . (I love VR racing Sims/won't ever play a racing game that's not vr again) . I think some people just dislike the idea of actual physical activity requires for a VR game (I'll admit, standing for an hour can be tedious in some VR games, but alyx kept me enthusiastic to keep playing ) .

I really enjoy exploring in this game .. picking up stuff, reading the box labels, searching bodies for ammo. Putting on a hardhat etc.

I was watching the PC world YouTube vid on which they were talking about this game and the guy was very dissapointed due to the lack of interaction with stuff in the game and all I could think of was, if you want that lvl of interactivity it would take centuries to make games.

He was dissapointed you could not open a box of matches and light one on fire, you could not read all the books in game, there was a vhs tape you could not playback etc..

I mean it's true it is somewhat immersion breaking, but it would be pretty unrealistic to think you could make a game world as interactive as the real world even with the money vavle has.

I was watching the PC world YouTube vid on which they were talking about this game and the guy was very dissapointed due to the lack of interaction with stuff in the game and all I could think of was, if you want that lvl of interactivity it would take centuries to make games.

He was dissapointed you could not open a box of matches and light one on fire, you could not read all the books in game, there was a vhs tape you could not playback etc..

I mean it's true it is somewhat immersion breaking, but it would be pretty unrealistic to think you could make a game world as interactive as the real world even with the money vavle has.
That just sounds like nitpicking. The game is amazing. The combination of never having played a VR game plus the length of time that's passed since Episode 2 added to something so unexpected when I first launched Alyx. I actually got emotional when I spawned on that roof top for the first time. It was mind blowing to me. I'm a massive fan of Half Life, I guess I really missed being in that world. :oops:

I mean, you could, but the game itself would be very small and short. Time is a capital resource and you have to decide where it is better spent. Seems Valve is more apt in this area of game development than this armchair commentator.

Back