Half Life: Alyx

I also ordered the Index. It seems that the ship dates for my order are showing 3 to 5 weeks instead of 8 weeks. With all the virus drama happening lately I won't hold my breathe.

I wish they'd push the release date up to Friday - would love to try this before the beginning of the next work week. Monday is such an odd release day...

I wish they'd push the release date up to Friday - would love to try this before the beginning of the next work week. Monday is such an odd release day...
MavericK Value is sending out emails now to confirm and pay for the Index. It looks like they might be shipping earlier then the estimates show. I got my email today.

Gabe Newell Talks Half-Life: Alyx & Valve's Past and (Unexpected) Future – IGN First

In a rare half-hour conversation, Valve co-founder Gabe Newell talks about the studio's past with Half-Life, the surprising answer to what his favorite Half-Life game is, mistakes that Valve has made, what keeps a man worth billions of dollars coming to work every day, how he spends his days, what the next decade looks like for Valve (hint: it involves a brain-AI interface), and more!...

10/10 from IGN. I know a ton of people hate IGN, but they don't exactly hand those out like candy (only the 6th AAA game this generation to get a 10), so I'm excited. Stuck working until 5 though...

10/10 from IGN. I know a ton of people hate IGN, but they don't exactly hand those out like candy (only the 6th AAA game this generation to get a 10), so I'm excited. Stuck working until 5 though...

80/100 from https://venturebeat.com/2020/03/23/half-life-alyx-review-a-great-game-vr-for-the-wrong-time/ mainly because the reviewer is feeling stress from having to practice social isolation due to covid-19's presence and is having a hard time balancing IRL with a video game. What a joke of a reviewer lol, I'll trust IGN's write-up that at least approaches it from an artistic perspective and acknowledges the ground they're breaking with the game.

Last edited:
It's well done from what I played so far. Only real thing that feels off to me is the quick switching of the Gun. I'd rather they have a holster like device like H3 or boneworks. The current way they do it feels like a magician doing a slight of hand trick (presto it's gone, and presto it's back). All items you gather like ammo get thrown in your backpack, and when you reload, you can just reach back and it puts a clip in your left hand if you have ejected a mag.

I've played a few hours so far and all I can say is wow. That first time you're suddenly out of ammo and there is a zombie or headcrab coming at you is quite the rush. The controls have taken some getting used to but I think I'm good now. This is definitely a whole new experience and I'm loving it.

I could buy a VR system right now but with all the craziness going on in Seattle with you-know-what, I'm just going to wait. I'm jealous of you guys playing. Enjoy!

I've played a few hours so far and all I can say is wow. That first time you're suddenly out of ammo and there is a zombie or headcrab coming at you is quite the rush. The controls have taken some getting used to but I think I'm good now. This is definitely a whole new experience and I'm loving it.

I could tell from the start menu it was going to blow me away. It's soooo good.

A resident evil type game with this quality would really do it for me too.

Okay I just got in an hour or so and this game is fucking BOMB. Miles ahead of most other VR games so far, and it looks and performs incredible on my setup.

That first time you're suddenly out of ammo and there is a zombie or headcrab coming at you is quite the rush.
Dude! That shit was terrifying! I was panicking big time! One got right on top of me... This game is amazing.

Mine is running like shit but the walking dead was too. A gaming laptop with a 2070 should be able to run this just fine, right? I've haven't done any tweaks to the steam VR console so I'll mess with that tomorrow.

Actually, as I'm typing this, I just realized all of my games running from the Oculus app play just fine.

is the visual difference in VR between Low and High/Ultra settings the same as a regular non-VR game's Low to Ultra settings?

Mine is running like shit but the walking dead was too. A gaming laptop with a 2070 should be able to run this just fine, right? I've haven't done any tweaks to the steam VR console so I'll mess with that tomorrow.

Actually, as I'm typing this, I just realized all of my games running from the Oculus app play just fine.

SteamVR likes to add supersampling on top of the games you play. Check that it isn't set to something silly like 200%.

interesting comments at the 5:43 mark..."if you already have a VR setup then this is a must have game but if you don't have one then don't bother, it's not a system seller"...all 3 say it's the best VR game they've ever played but it's not worth buying a $1000 Valve Index for...all 3 got motion sickness with it and couldn't continue playing (and they have never gotten motion sickness in any VR game prior)...they switched to the Oculus Rift S and had no issues all the way through

interesting comments at the 5:43 mark..."if you already have a VR setup then this is a must have game but if you don't have one then don't bother, it's not a system seller"...all 3 say it's the best VR game they've ever played but it's not worth buying a $1000 Valve Index for...all 3 got motion sickness with it and couldn't continue playing (and they have never gotten motion sickness in any VR game prior)...they switched to the Oculus Rift S and had no issues all the way through
I like Angry Joe but I have no idea how he's experiencing motion sickness. I played for 3 hours using the teleport movement and had zero issues. If they changed the movement option then it's their fault that they got sick.

I like Angry Joe but I have no idea how he's experiencing motion sickness. I played for 3 hours using the teleport movement and had zero issues. If they changed the movement option then it's their fault that they got sick.
Agreed. I learned with Boneworks that I cannot handle smooth locomotion. In fact it messed me up so bad that I only played 45 minutes and had no urge to go back into it for a couple of weeks. I tried every movement option in this and stuck with one of the teleport options and I'm having zero issues.

My thoughts exactly. The default motion is teleport so he shouldn't have had any issues.

Agreed. I learned with Boneworks that I cannot handle smooth locomotion. In fact it messed me up so bad that I only played 45 minutes and had no urge to go back into it for a couple of weeks. I tried every movement option in this and stuck with one of the teleport options and I'm having zero issues.

Same here, it made me refund the game. I really wanted to like Boneworks but locomotion only with all of the up and down and physics puzzles and stuff made me really nauseous.

Any sense to buy VR headset for this game? I have 9700K and 2080 Super Rtx Aorus WF

I did find this, don't have it myself, not worth spending the money for just one game. IQ has come a LONG way:

1585066611156.png

Any sense to buy VR headset for this game? I have 9700K and 2080 Super Rtx Aorus WF
If I were you unless your willing to dump $1000 on an index look at the oculus rift S or oculus quest + pc link cable. I have a rift S and its a great device for a way more affordable price tag that works just fine in Alyx and gives you access to all the other great VR games out there. The index is a great device and is by all account the better piece of hardware but it is super expensive compared to the rift and I wouldn't buy one just for this game.

if your serious about entry into VR try and hunt down the Oculus quest, with VR link its basically a rift S but it can also go fully untethered which is a huge plus.

Last edited:
Back