Half-Life 3 Will Probably Never Happen, Says Valve Insider

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
While this source can’t be fully verified, his words reflect much of what we have assumed for a long time now. The Half-Life saga will be in limbo forever—heck, there were never any real plans for a third game to begin with. I say that Valve should just hire someone to write a book.

…an unnamed Valve insider says of the Half-Life series, "I don't think there will be any more," and then goes on to say, "The idea of delivering a third episode of Half-Life 2, that's dead. There's no universe where that will happen. I think there is a universe where a standalone thing could come together to fill in that hole, but that's tough." More important, the unnamed insider says, Half-Life 3 was never a thing that existed at Valve. "There is no such thing as Half-Life 3. Valve has never announced a Half-Life 3. The closest they've come is after Half-Life 2, they said there would be three episodes." So why not do a sequel now? The risk of disappointment and the difficulty of deciding on a direction are both factors, the source says.

RIP the dream. I call bullshit on them never having plans. The ending to Half-Life 2 EP2 was foreshadowing such a huge threat that we were left in perpetual darkness. I am really disappointed in Valve for forgetting who they are. You can be rich and please your fans too, Steam basically takes care of itself.

I don't care about having HL3. I just want HL2 Episode 3 like we were originally promised. You can't leave one of the greatest games of all time on a cliffhanger like the end of Episode 2 and get away with it.
And yet, with every day that passes, they do get away with it.
/Gonna go home and play some non-Valve games on Steam now.

Reactions: Nokia
like this
This is kind of what I've been saying forever.

It's probably tempting to go out there do a money grab, license it to some 3rd party studio and have them to a final installment that concludes the story. There would be guaranteed money in it. Good or bad, people would buy it because it is the conclusion of the longest cliff hanger i can think of in video games.

That being said, HafLife3 has been saddled with soany expectations over the years that if it were to be made today, even by a great studio with a large budget and good intentions, no matter what they do, it is going to be a major disappointment.

Nothing can ever live up to the expectations of Half Life 3 at this point.

So, it's funny. Half Life 3 will be both a guaranteed success and a guaranteed failure at the same time!

This is kind of what I've been saying forever.

It's probably tempting to go out there do a money grab, license it to some 3rd party studio and have them to a final installment that concludes the story. There would be guaranteed money in it. Good or bad, people would buy it because it is the conclusion of the longest cliff hanger i can think of in video games.

That being said, HafLife3 has been saddled with soany expectations over the years that if it were to be made today, even by a great studio with a large budget and good intentions, no matter what they do, it is going to be a major disappointment.

Nothing can ever live up to the expectations of Half Life 3 at this point.

So, it's funny. Half Life 3 will be both a guaranteed success and a guaranteed failure at the same time!

Agreed, it is on a pedestal that nothing could touch it. Honestly I know it is heresy to say here, but it was a good game but after trying to play it again, it isn't like I remember it and couldn't captivate me like it used to.

Nostalgia is a feeling that can never been appeased by new.

Agreed, it is on a pedestal that nothing could touch it. Honestly I know it is heresy to say here, but it was a good game but after trying to play it again, it isn't like I remember it and couldn't captivate me like it used to.

I can replay HL2 and still remember every bit and detail about the levels. The game invented FPS action adventure. The gradual change in tone and scenery was great and the way you used physics to solve problems was a great addition. I love how you slowly made your way through the various areas of the game to reach your goal of the citadel and make your climb up. The game was a showcase in video game technology and it wowed me when it came out. The cinematics and scenes that would play out during gameplay like Kleiners Lab or Breens Office were memorable moments in game history for me. HL2 still stands as one of my top 10 games and one of the first to get me into upgrading my PC on a regular basis to keep up with the engine updates.

Yeah, but you also have to judge games like this by the climate in which they came out. Games like Half-Life and Deus Ex were - of course - going to stand out more in a world of Quake and other run and gun high action, low story games. Today, games with engaging story lines that suck you in are not as novel as a concept, and thus if you go back and play the original - even once you adapt to the dated graphics - they are never going to feel the same as the first time around back in the late 90's or early 2000's

I think ending on the cliffhanger in Episode 2 and giving no resolution is one of the biggest dick moves in all of gaming development history.

For me - however - It's been long enough that I can't even remember what the cliff hanger was anymore.

Occasionally I am tempted to go back and re-play the games, but why would I, if it is just going to result in unresolved frustration again :p

I'll never understand why Valve abandoned one of the great single player games of all time. It makes no sense to me.

+1 Although I truly have to admit I just don't give a shit anymore. I've grown too old to care. I'd buy if released, but I don't care if it never makes my bucket list.

I remember reading that hl3 was and is being made sometime back its just not finished yet. For Valve NOT to make one of the Greatest Games ever made in Pc History just doesnt make sense to me. The more i think people deny or choose not to beleive its not coming out prolly means its alot closer to actually coming out than we think.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net...ision/latest?cb=20120414115931&path-prefix=en

pic of the hl3 shirt did you forget allready?

"Flatland" is just a buzzword way of saying "I couldn't run a hot poker into a snow bank".

It worked briefly but now not only does Valve not make great games with their huge game-making staff (Yeah, they're still there at the company), they don't make games period.

I have replayed the original Half Life and it still holds up. Even Black Mesa, the new re-imagining of the game that is in Steam Early Access, just proves how great the original game was and that it stands the test of time. If you liked HL you'll love Black Mesa.

I have replayed the original Half Life and it still holds up. Even the re-imagining of the game that is in Steam Early Acess called Black Mesa just proves how great the original game was and the it stands the test of time. If you liked HL you'll love Black Mesa.

I agree. it's still a good game. (I replaced the original in ~2010. it was painful at first due to the dated graphics) but it was still fun (and a hell of a lot easier than I remember it being.)

The first time around, I remember it being a god damned horror game. I was on the edge of my seat forever always on the brink of death, and finally you think you are getting to the surface, and then the soldiers show up...

In my re-play, I found that while still a good game, it was far too easy, and while the story was still cool, it wasn't as developed as it was in Half life 2, with other characters and friendships coming out.

I do like Black Mesa. I played it back in 2012 before it was a steam greenlight title when they put up their work in progress for free, and really liked it, but got stuck at one scene due to a game breaking bug.

I've bought it in Steam since just to support the project, but haven't tried it again in a while. I really should.

Last edited:
Rumor has it that HL3 will be bundled as a free game to redeem on STEAM when purchasing the RX 490..

hl3.jpg

I'll never understand why Valve abandoned one of the great single player games of all time. It makes no sense to me.

better to stop on a high note then ruin the franchise, especially now with the toxic community who will bash everything for any reason.

Reminds me of that comment from some player who said Legion is wow's worst expac because you can't choose which legendary you get, but if you could choose it would be the best expac ever.

This is like being 8-9 years old and while you're starting to have doubts about Santa being real, you still try and hold on, and then an older sibling finally comes out and shows you a video of your parents putting the presents under the tree after you go to bed. Valve, you've ruined my adult childhood.

They ought to license the IP for it out. Explicitly forbid a Half Life 3 and direct references to Gordon Freeman, but allow for spin-offs. No risk for disappointment directly tied to Valve and some funds to do other things, like string us along for Steam boxes :)

better to stop on a high note then ruin the franchise, especially now with the toxic community who will bash everything for any reason.

Agreed.

Would have been nice if they hadn't ended it with a cliff hanger though. Wouldn't have been too much to ask for them to just wrap up the story line before killing it off.

The episodes were major ripoffs though. Priced way too high, and took way too few hours to play through.

For me - however - It's been long enough that I can't even remember what the cliff hanger was anymore.

Black Mesa

yada yada yada

Aliens

yada yada yada

Aperture science

yada yada yada

saving humanity

on a serious note

I would've loved an Episode 3
maybe with a Portal Gun

RIP the dream. I call bullshit on them never having plans. The ending to Half-Life 2 EP2 was foreshadowing such a huge threat that we were left in perpetual darkness. I am really disappointed in Valve for forgetting who they are. You can be rich and please your fans too, Steam basically takes care of itself.

You are living the game. That threat, was called STEAM...

:woot:

If they ever were going to release Half Life 3 they'd start by feeding the hype and lowering expectations... maybe use a Valve 'insider' to leak some 'story'... OMG Half-Life 3 confirmed!!!!

In all seriousness, I'd love it if someone Kickstarted a fan-made Half Life 3 to be made available for free. While they are a corporation focused on money, I would think Valve might allow this to go ahead.
HL2 graphics or whatever, I'd just like to see the end of the story.

At this point, I think the expectations would be so high, that anything they release would be considered a failure unless it was truly epic.

Sad that they're basically doing fuck all with the franchise, as said above Steam makes them so much money they don't do much besides sit around and watch the companies bank balance increase.

Back