Half Life 3 ladies and Germs

I enjoyed EP1-EP2 they were fun... but two episodes in the last 5 years on the same engine as HL2 just doesn't cut it for me.I'm not even a big Half-life fan I haven't even played the first one,I can't imagine what a hard core fan has been going through waiting like every 2 years for each episode.

What plot? Theres maybe 60 minutes of dialog total in the series. The rest is just implied from your gameplay experiences. In addition its just another alien invasion story.
I had no idea what was really going on until I looked up the Half-Life story and read a big summary of what was occurring throughout the events of the games. You're kinda left in the dark as to what is happening in the background unless you use the innernets to look up just WTF is really going on.

Regardless, I don't care for tons of boring cut scenes in games so I like the way they did the Half-Life games even if I had to read-up to learn the details of what was happening.

100% of games out today are just another <insert word> story. Half-Life's story is at least a bit deeper than aliens just showing up and taking over.

I enjoyed EP1-EP2 they were fun... but two episodes in the last 5 years on the same engine as HL2 just doesn't cut it for me.I'm not even a big Half-life fan I haven't even played the first one,I can't imagine what a hard core fan has been going through waiting like every 2 years for each episode.
They've been improving the Source engine bit by bit over the years but I have been wondering when they were going to use a new engine. For some reason I thought I read that they were majorly updating the engine for Episode 3. Not really sure there.

I hope half-life 2: episode 3 turns out to be good and worth getting. My favorite
half-life games has to be the original and half-life 2.

oh i understood what you meant. i still would not expect anything from valve concerning half-life in 2010. :rolleyes:

I think you are being sarcastic but please don't say that.2+ years is enough....let's not jinx ourselves and make it 3+ years.

Half-Life 2: Episode Two release date Oct 9, 2007 :(

Last edited:
I kinda lost interest in the Half-Life storyline by the time I finished with Half-Life 2. The additional episode chapters were completely forgettable for me. They were nice to play through, but the story feels so aimless that each new chapter really doesn't feel like it's taking me in any particular direction. Long story serials that are broken up into short episodes only work if you're able to deliver them in very short intervals where the story is still fresh in the mind. They'll probably still get my money for the sake of completion, but the anticipation is hardly eating at me.

if you don't enjoy the characters in Half-Life you probably won't care much about the story. Since I happen to love the characters, I want to play through it just to see what happens with them...

but the episodes have/are taking way too long to get out. well over 2 years for an "episode" is looooooooooooooooooooong. that's full-on expansion pack time.

i dont care, im buying the game anyways.

i grew up with HL, 2. So if a new one comes out, I have to play it

I have boycotted the L4D series. I want my f'ing Hl EP3! I will not buy another release from Valve until they give me my game.

I enjoyed EP1-EP2 they were fun... but two episodes in the last 5 years on the same engine as HL2 just doesn't cut it for me.
ep2 was (is) on a newer engine iteration than ep1. Referred to as either the Orange Box engine or 2007 source, it's the one Valve used for TF2. L4D has additional changes from the OB engine and L4D2 is probably another iteration. My guess is Ep3 will either be on the L4D or L4D2 engine. They're all called "Source" but they are all capable of different things.

ep2 was (is) on a newer engine iteration than ep1. Referred to as either the Orange Box engine or 2007 source, it's the one Valve used for TF2. L4D has additional changes from the OB engine and L4D2 is probably another iteration. My guess is Ep3 will either be on the L4D or L4D2 engine. They're all called "Source" but they are all capable of different things.

They all look the same to me.It's like giving a new paint job to my 92 dodge spirit, yeah it will look nicer than what it did before but we all still know it's old and the miles on it are still the same.

"Good at picking out talent" is not tantamount to "talented". That's all my point was, no need to get defensive.

With the Internet being devoid of tone of voice, perhaps I seemed defensive. I was not attempting to be. Your post clarified, which was all I was trying to do. Sorry if it did not come out that way.

--

Although BioWare is much bigger than Valve, I do agree. Mass Effect is one of my favorite games and I am eagerly awaiting ME2. I think Bethesda did an excellent job with Fallout 3 as well, though not free content.

--

I have boycotted the L4D series. I want my f'ing Hl EP3! I will not buy another release from Valve until they give me my game.

I'm not boycotting anything (L4D series really is not my thing anyway), but apart from that I fell much the same. Little news from Valve piques my interest unless it's about Episode 3. I could give a hoot about anything else until then.

Eli dies in Ep2.

There period of time between ep2 and ep3 is just ridiculous.

I'm not too worked up over this. I liked HL2 okay but not enough to play through Ep1 and 2, even though I think I got it with the Orange Box (which I got for Portal alone.)

Even so, I'll buy and play Ep3 (or HL3, whatever) based on expectations from HL1.

it doesn't help that they suck as well. EP2 was boring and monotonous from start to finish.

Did you not play the end when you had to defend the rocket? Most agree it's the toughest and most enjoyable objective in all of HL2...if you can think of a more challenging mission let me know. I play COD a lot still, but SP-wise, this blows COD's missions out of the water.

I don't know about Bigbacon but I never made it that far into ep2. The tunnels were so incredibly boring that I just quit there. That was probably only 30 minutes into it.

But then, I felt that the majority of HL2 and ep1 were boring and monotonous from start to finish (except for the the bridge sequence). I played them because of my love for HL1 and the hope that there was a glimmer of it's awesomeness within. No luck. :(

IMO, The story isn't really any more exciting or interesting than your average FPS. Thief/Halo/CoD all have stories that are just as deep and they forego the need for hour long hoverboat sequences.

Did you not play the end when you had to defend the rocket? Most agree it's the toughest and most enjoyable objective in all of HL2...if you can think of a more challenging mission let me know. I play COD a lot still, but SP-wise, this blows COD's missions out of the water.

Actually,I found that part more frustrating than challenging.It's like they stacked the deck against the player and threw everything at you at the end to make up for the lack of action throughout the game,it kept getting sidetracked with the problem solving to the point that it ruined the flow of the game.And after finally beating the strider assault,you're rewarded with a real downer of an ending.

Actually,I found that part more frustrating than challenging.It's like they stacked the deck against the player and threw everything at you at the end to make up for the lack of action throughout the game,it kept getting sidetracked with the problem solving to the point that it ruined the flow of the game.And after finally beating the strider assault,you're rewarded with a real downer of an ending.

The ending was amazing, not only the epic battle with the oncoming Striders and the shock of the death of a main character. Simply blew me away and left me desperate for more. The long wait has been painful, but I know it will be worth it. The HL games are amongst the best ever made, I would put them up there with the Ultima games, System Shock, Doom and the Thief games

The ending was amazing, not only the epic battle with the oncoming Striders and the shock of the death of a main character. Simply blew me away and left me desperate for more. The long wait has been painful, but I know it will be worth it. The HL games are amongst the best ever made, I would put them up there with the Ultima games, System Shock, Doom and the Thief games

I agree with this completely except for the Ultima and Thief statement. ;)

Outside of the final stand-off, I thought Ep.2 was too easy. It seemed that Valve was overly focused on lowering the difficulty level to encourage more players to finish the game (a comment they made in an interview) that they dumbed it down a little too much for my taste. HL was challenging. HL2 was also challenging, but in spread out fashion. The episodes were almost console easy... but still enjoyable. I will be a Half-Life fan till the end (unless some dorf gets control of Valve and decides to EA it).

Personally I'm starting to wonder if Valve is making a much longer "episode" for 3 since it is the conclusion of this particular storyline. They've stated it would be longer, but I'm guessing as they got into it, it became apparent to cover all the story elements they had in mind, it was going to take a full length game. THAT, if true, would be just fine with me. :D

Back