Half Life 3 almost confirmed?

we should fillet him alive and serve him raw to carmack with mustard until theyre both at the same weight those doom 4 half life 3 motherfuckers :mad:

Carmack now works for Facebook under their Oculus Rift subsidiary. The people you need to yell at are Tim Willits and those running the show at Zenimax

Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades....and I don't see anyone playing either atm.

Chances of HL3 being announced tomorrow is equivalent to a snowballs chance in hades.

Carmack now works for Facebook under their Oculus Rift subsidiary. The people you need to yell at are Tim Willits and those running the show at Zenimax

wow no shit genious what else the earth is round the moon is not made of cheese and all that? wow i didnt know carmack was working for facebook/rift for over a decade now :D

Chances of HL3 being announced tomorrow is equivalent to a snowballs chance in hades.

I'm not getting my hopes up, and i'm not going to allow myself to be disappointed if nothing comes of it, but there's no harm in speculating. We can assume HL3 will come... eventually. One day, the game has to be actually announced. So why not tomorrow?

When HL2 was first shown, it was to show off physics and emotions in Source. It was basically a tech demo. So why isn't it plausible that Valve would leverage HL3 in the same way, as a tech demo for their new VR headset?

Furthermore, I can't help but think Valve would be wasting an opportunity to not launch a AAA title (If not HL3 then L4D3 or Portal 3) alongside their VR. When any/all of those games see a release, we all know they are going to sell several million copies. They will basically sell themselves. But a VR headset, not so much. It's a market that doesn't exist; it's a device they have to convince people they need. What better way to do it than to launch a game along side it where they can say "Hey, look at how much more immersive our game is on this stupid fucking thing! Go buy the thing!". Maybe even bundle the game up with their thing for free. Software sells hardware.

I know, it's a pipe dream. But at least there are reasons why it could make sense for Valve to announce a game tomorrow. Guess we'll see.

I'm not getting my hopes up, and i'm not going to allow myself to be disappointed if nothing comes of it, but there's no harm in speculating. We can assume HL3 will come... eventually. One day, the game has to be actually announced. So why not tomorrow?

When HL2 was first shown, it was to show off physics and emotions in Source. It was basically a tech demo. So why isn't it plausible that Valve would leverage HL3 in the same way, as a tech demo for their new VR headset?

Furthermore, I can't help but think Valve would be wasting an opportunity to not launch a AAA title (If not HL3 then L4D3 or Portal 3) alongside their VR. When any/all of those games see a release, we all know they are going to sell several million copies. They will basically sell themselves. But a VR headset, not so much. It's a market that doesn't exist; it's a device they have to convince people they need. What better way to do it than to launch a game along side it where they can say "Hey, look at how much more immersive our game is on this stupid fucking thing! Go buy the thing!". Maybe even bundle the game up with their thing for free. Software sells hardware.

I know, it's a pipe dream. But at least there are reasons why it could make sense for Valve to announce a game tomorrow. Guess we'll see.

I'd love to see Valve engage in some really out of the box thinking and hire someone like Ken Levine to write HL3 ... with the Bioshock writing team they would definitely have a bonafide hit on their hands ... or contract a Hollywood screenwriter like Joss Whedon or Kevin Smith ... now that would be a HL title for the ages :)

Gabe's announcing he lost 3 pounds.

db2.gif

To my knowledge I don't think anythings come out since that has been able to lay down the staple as "Here is where we start at". I think if Order 1886 hadn't come out as such a crapshow it would have made the cut as the next level.

I don't think HL2 is actually all that good a game. lots of great design document stuff. Actual gameplay/game played, meets par with physics for a handicap.

HL1 has much better actual gameplay/game played. And that's not nostalgia speaking. I played HL1 for the very first time, 1 month before HL2 released.

Episode 2 was the game HL2 should have been.

http://www.actiontrip.com/news/world-asking-for-halflife-3-again/030215_3

Someone clearly thinks this is still happening. Now either Gabe has gone completely mad after the whole world still dishing out lame Half-Life 3 jokes or it could be that Valve is finally making the decision to unwrap the thick curtain that's been around for one of of the most anticipated games of all time.

Apparently there was a recent Steam update with a mysterious “App 323900?" This app came out with a Half Life 3 logo. Valve actually responded and pulled App 323900, but not before the hungry eyes of the Internet had their peek and say. Gabe Newell himself took the time to respond to this by saying that they're not ready to make any announcements for HL3 - the usual kick in the balls by Gaben.

The rumor mill about HL 3 has started turning again now that Valve set their appearance at the Game Developers Conference set for March 3, 2015, with plans to host a “Physics For Programmers: Physics Optimization Strategies” panel. And because it's March 3, now everyone is interpreting that as a sign from God, sorry, Gaben.

Think what you will. I'd rather sulk and hum, like GLaDOS, while gently stabbing myself in the eye.

2222222222-jpg.jpg

HL2 at its time was like no other game, even the physics today have aged very well dont see why everyone says how bad the game was, why did it win over 50 game of year awards or something then? name any other game thats better back then... i cant

HL2 at its time was like no other game, even the physics today have aged very well dont see why everyone says how bad the game was, why did it win over 50 game of year awards or something then? name any other game thats better back then... i cant

2003, 2004, and 2005 were full of great games.

2003, 2004, and 2005 were full of great games.

Such as? Some major game launches around HL2 that I can think of were...

Doom 3 - Pretty, sure, but lackluster corridor shooter otherwise. Gameplay doesn't come close to HL2.

Battlefield Vietnam - Different animal than HL2. Fun game for sure, but when looking at pure quality I wouldn't put it in the same league as HL2.

Far Cry - One of the better releases of 2004. It looked great, and was the first example of how amazing an outdoor environment could really work. It also brought open-world gameplay to FPS. I personally enjoyed HL2 more, but I think both these titles would be very closely matched in terms of the impact they had on the industry. From a narrative standpoint though, I didn't find FC to be particularly memorable.

Riddick - I loved the shit out of this game. I think it was underappreciated. I still don't think it was quite as well thought out as HL2, and it certainly didn't leave a lasting impact on gaming as a whole, but I'd call it one of my favorite releases of 2004.

Halo 2 - (if were counting console releases) was a huge release, obviously. Wasn't overly fond of it though, outside of multiplayer. I wouldn't put on on par with HL2.

There were a lot of other major game releases around that time that I omitted because they wouldnt' really be relevant to compare to Half-Life. Games like MGS3 and God of War come to mind, but I don't see the sense is comparing them to HL2. The fact stands that HL2 was an impeccably good game when it released. It looked good, pushed technical boundaries with things like physics, and had a gripping narrative with very real, believable characters. There were probably quite a few releases around the same time that checked one of the same boxes, but I can't think of anything else that checked them all.

We'll see ... Half Life 3 could be a no win situation for them at this point because of the long gap between the releases ... there is so much expectation for the title that it could be impossible to meet the expectations (similar to what happened with other 3's with long gaps like Doom 3 and Diablo 3) ... they could surprise us and throw that gauntlet down anyway ... or they might just keep it off the table ... time will tell

These kinds of comments always make me laugh. Everyone on this forum damn-well knows that they will be excited as shit to hear a announcement of HL3. I don't think it is wrong in this case to expect a fantastic game. Why? We're not talking about Duke Nukem or Aliens here... we're talking about Half Life. There has yet to be a bad Half Life game where you can't say the same for Duke Nukem or Aliens or whatever other incredibly long game that took a long time to come out that didn't meet expectations it's being compared to.

Not to mention that the technology behind the game is also very enticing. Half Life 2 was such a enormous departure from Half Life... who knows what they've come up with over the last 12 years. And you can guaran-damn-tee that it'll support Oculus out the gate.

There is no reason not to be excited. In my personal opinion anyway.

Maybe a new Orange Box?

TF3, HL3, Portal 3 would be awesome

edit: maybe L4D3 as well :p

Valve HAS to announce something HL3 related, it's fucking 2015 ffs.

Valve HAS to announce something HL3 related, it's fucking 2015 ffs.

At this point I would expect them to launch HL3 with full VR integration to help push their VR headset which was only just recently announced. If I had to guess, I'd say a lot of the delay in HL3 has been a lack of something 'revolutionary' to make it special, but VR could certainly provide that element.

If the GDC presentation today is just a generic thing about physics it will be a bummer, but you never know.

Valve makes GDC announcements: SteamVR, Source 2 and more

Valve just sent out a press release stuffed with multiple GDC announcements, which they’ll no doubt be expanding upon across the next couple of days.

Like Unreal Engine 4, Source 2 will be free. It will also have a “Vulkan-compatible” version; with Vulkan being the new name for the Next Generation OpenGL API being administered by the Khronos Group.

Moving on to SteamVR stuff, the press release makes it pretty clear that the HTC Vive headset will be the only VR headset we see with Valve’s name on it this year

Valve says Steam Machines from Falcon Northwest, Alienware and “a dozen other partners” will be ready for sale this November. These will “start at the same price point as game consoles, with higher performance.”

Finally, for people who have a powerful gaming PC, a decent enough in-home connection, but no secondary PC or laptop to stream to, Valve has created the Steam Link. This is a $50.00 USD box which you can hook up to your TV and home network for a cheap way to stream games from your existing PC...

http://www.incgamers.com/2015/03/valve-makes-gdc-announcements-steamvr-source-2-and-more

Lol.

I'll believe an announcement that they are releasing a Source 2 remaster of Half Life long before I believe one announcing Half Life 3.

I've been gaming since the 80's. One of these days I'll have to figure out why people are so fanatical about half life.

Lol.

I'll believe an announcement that they are releasing a Source 2 remaster of Half Life long before I believe one announcing Half Life 3.

With Source 2 officially announced, they have to do something. In some fashion, they have to demonstrate the engine with an actual game. It's certainly a step in the right direction.

With any luck, some sort of Source 2 Valve title may be at E3.

With Source 2 officially announced, they have to do something. In some fashion, they have to demonstrate the engine with an actual game.

The game they are demonstrating the engine with is dota 2. Maybe after they finish porting dota 2 they will start production on a actual game.

if Valve announces any new ip's they are working on instead of HL3 the internet will turn against them...they've built up a decade or so of free passes due to the Steam platform but eventually they're going to have to pay the piper

HL2 wasn't even the best game the year it came out.

HL2 is a good game. But it was never epic imo. Generic shooter with an Awful story. I'm more excited for a L4D3 then HL3.

HL2 wasn't even the best game the year it came out.

2004 was a competitive year for releases:

Beyond Divinity
City of Heroes
Counter Strike: Source
Crusader Kings
Dawn of War
Doom 3
Evil Genius
Far Cry
Half Life 2
Halo 2
Kohan II
Lords of the Realm III
Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault
Men of Valor
Rise of Nations: Thrones & Patriots
Rome: Total War
Sacred
Sid Meier's Pirates
Star Wars Battlefront
Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
Lord of the Rings Battle for Middle Earth
Thief: Deadly Shadows
Unreal Tournament 2004
Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines
Warlords Battlecry III

and others :)

So new Source engine basically means time for Valve to show what it can do.

I don't believe Half Life 3 is coming but everything else if fair game.

Back