Half Life 3 almost confirmed?

No, that is

3PM on 3/3

Yeah

HL3 Confirmed

funny-pictures-auto-Valve-gabe-newell-471042.jpeg

what is they hit it out of the park and announce Portal 3, Left 4 Dead 3 and Team Fortress 3 at the same time?

With any luck it'll be an iPhone-exclusive game :eek:

Seriously though, I'm not holding my breath. I've aleady accepted that HL3 will never come out. It's been, what, over 10 years now?

Is that really what he said? I feel bad for him it thats how he feels.

That's obviously a joke.

Anyway, Half Life 3 would be the perfect game to show off glNext. I certainly hope that this will be the case.

Half-Life 3, Portal 3, and Left4Dead 3 are all going to be announced (three three's get it?). All 3 are going to be built around/for the new Valve VR ecosystem which is why it has taken this long.

That is my bold prediction for the year.

Half-Life 3, Portal 3, and Left4Dead 3 are all going to be announced (three three's get it?). All 3 are going to be built around/for the new Valve VR ecosystem which is why it has taken this long.

That is my bold prediction for the year.

I wouldn't be surprised.... we shall see....

I look at it this way - Duke Nukem Forever, Chinese Democracy, and the 3rd My Bloody Valentine album eventually came out. We'll see it someday...it's just a matter of when.

We'll see ... Half Life 3 could be a no win situation for them at this point because of the long gap between the releases ... there is so much expectation for the title that it could be impossible to meet the expectations (similar to what happened with other 3's with long gaps like Doom 3 and Diablo 3) ... they could surprise us and throw that gauntlet down anyway ... or they might just keep it off the table ... time will tell

We'll see ... Half Life 3 could be a no win situation for them at this point because of the long gap between the releases ... there is so much expectation for the title that it could be impossible to meet the expectations (similar to what happened with other 3's with long gaps like Doom 3 and Diablo 3) ... they could surprise us and throw that gauntlet down anyway ... or they might just keep it off the table ... time will tell

^This cough* Duke Nukem Forever cough*

I am going with the Silver Package with the AMD 390X.
Half%20Life%203%20Silver.jpg

I hope this is true. the HL games are always a lot of fun to play. I don't care that much about what engine they use.

Meh Secret shame, I never finished HL1 and HL2 actually really doesn't spend much energy referencing it. I think Gabes gameplan as always been to create each game as a separate complete entity. Unlike the others I think They can just make HL3 without worrying too much about the previous games. What I do find interesting though is that HL2+episodes AKA Source 1.1 I think is still the baseline for modern graphics and totally playable.

To my knowledge I don't think anythings come out since that has been able to lay down the staple as "Here is where we start at". I think if Order 1886 hadn't come out as such a crapshow it would have made the cut as the next level..

In reference to the interview I posted, no when I found that I was told he never said any of that. As far as I know it was just a joke someone posted for the Lulz.

Not getting my hopes up but I'll be keeping an eye out.

Is there somewhere this can be streamed?

I don't think it would be that hard to satisfy with HL3. I'm not expecting that much, something that looks better than HL2 and is as fun to play. I don't expect any crazy new innovation. I'm sure they have been thinking up interesting new mechanics and weapons. They could release more of them same, as long as they don't mess it up. People were upset about Diablo 3 because blizzard messed it up with the market. If they had released a D2 copy with updaged graphics and new items I think most Diablo fans would be satisfied. Look at Torchlight and Path Of Exile.

If the talk is game physics optimizations I would say that Left 4 Dead will be at the heart of the discussion.

I don't think it would be that hard to satisfy with HL3. I'm not expecting that much, something that looks better than HL2 and is as fun to play. I don't expect any crazy new innovation. I'm sure they have been thinking up interesting new mechanics and weapons. They could release more of them same, as long as they don't mess it up. People were upset about Diablo 3 because blizzard messed it up with the market. If they had released a D2 copy with updaged graphics and new items I think most Diablo fans would be satisfied. Look at Torchlight and Path Of Exile.

But that is the rub isn't it ... the FPS market has moved heavily in favor of the MP environment (Battlefield, CoD, etc), the open environment (Far Cry, GTA, etc), or the extremely advanced graphics engines (Crysis, Doom, etc) ... we have really only had one story driven shooter in recent release (Bioshock) and that wasn't universally loved ... although some users might be perfectly happy with a slight progression over HL2, it is also possible that they would not

the other key element of shooters or advanced graphics types of titles is the engine for hire ... almost all graphically intense titles are about the proprietary engines ... companies either need them for support of their own titles (Bethesda/ID, etc) or for hire (Crytek, Epic, etc) ...

for HL3 to be a success it will likely need to compare favorably with other titles (Bioshock was the last story driven shooter and would become the benchmark for story ... Crytek, Id, and Epic would be some of the graphics benchmarks ... Far Cry and GTA would be the benches for open environments ... and Battlefield likely the bench for MP ... that is a tough gauntlet to run through when they have other very successful titles and the Steam store ... as I said they could be better off with HL3 being some mystical hypothetical idea of perfection that never arrives vs the crushing reality of a title that fails to meet the user expectations

that said, if anyone can do it, it is probably Valve but developer love will only cover so many holes so they really need to be sure of their product before they throw down ;)

But that is the rub isn't it ... the FPS market has moved heavily in favor of the MP environment (Battlefield, CoD, etc), the open environment (Far Cry, GTA, etc), or the extremely advanced graphics engines (Crysis, Doom, etc) ... we have really only had one story driven shooter in recent release (Bioshock) and that wasn't universally loved ... although some users might be perfectly happy with a slight progression over HL2, it is also possible that they would not

the other key element of shooters or advanced graphics types of titles is the engine for hire ... almost all graphically intense titles are about the proprietary engines ... companies either need them for support of their own titles (Bethesda/ID, etc) or for hire (Crytek, Epic, etc) ...

for HL3 to be a success it will likely need to compare favorably with other titles (Bioshock was the last story driven shooter and would become the benchmark for story ... Crytek, Id, and Epic would be some of the graphics benchmarks ... Far Cry and GTA would be the benches for open environments ... and Battlefield likely the bench for MP ... that is a tough gauntlet to run through when they have other very successful titles and the Steam store ... as I said they could be better off with HL3 being some mystical hypothetical idea of perfection that never arrives vs the crushing reality of a title that fails to meet the user expectations

that said, if anyone can do it, it is probably Valve but developer love will only cover so many holes so they really need to be sure of their product before they throw down ;)

Bioshock infinite actually did incredibly well critically and made a shit ton of money. The MP forced on shit of late has been critically assaulted and is a publisher driven issue.

WTF is this HL 3 talk??

Are they even working on Episode 3? Finish off that god damn series first!

Eh, it's a GDC session.
According to the online schedule Valve employees are giving 4 or 5 talks this the week.

Not that it's impossible, but it's a really odd venue to make that kind of an announcement.
If they scheduled a press conference at that time, it would make sense for a reveal, but this looks like somebody got a slightly assuming slot for their physics programming talk.

Eh, it's a GDC session.
According to the online schedule Valve employees are giving 4 or 5 talks this the week.

Not that it's impossible, but it's a really odd venue to make that kind of an announcement.
If they scheduled a press conference at that time, it would make sense for a reveal, but this looks like somebody got a slightly assuming slot for their physics programming talk.

On the other hand, Valve never announces games with much fanfare or bottle rockets shooting out of their asses. It's usually "oh here's a new game, no big deal". E3 would be the traditional venue for game announces, but since they're really trying to launch their initiatives like glNext and SteamVR, anything is possible.

*Something* will be shown running on Source 2 this week, there's no question. They've got a long list of development partners under NDA as well, so maybe it'll be third party.

Battlefield has been around forever. I don't see that as any benchmark or competition for HL3.

Eh, it's a GDC session.

when was the last time valve was at e3?

we should fillet him alive and serve him raw to carmack with mustard until theyre both at the same weight those doom 4 half life 3 motherfuckers :mad:

I just wanted TF3......and to have it kick the crap out of Blizzard TF wanna be game

Sounds like they are revealing their VR headset with HTC, the latest Steambox and controller and whatever other misc they throw in. A "Troll Box" with HL3, Portal 3, TF3, L4D3 and Dota 3 would be funny, but I doubt we'll see any 3's this year either.

They wouldn't be this naive.... I mean, if its NOT HL3, how could have someone not noticed all the 3's and not reschedule?
Tears on the internet if this ends up nothing

Back