Half Life 2 voted Game of the past Decade

What is the best game of the past decade?

• The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Half-Life 2

Votes: 76 57.1%
  • World of Warcraft

Votes: 25 18.8%
  • Shadow of the Colossus

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Wii Sports

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • BioShock

• Portal

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • Mass Effect 2

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Red Dead Redemption

• Batman: Arkham City

Votes: 6 4.5%

• Total voters
We just have a strong disagreement here. HL2 has virtually no plot and ridiculously long, pointless levels that are nothing but repetitive filler crap that add nothing to the story. I don't care if a game serves as a bench tool for computer systems.

I love all 3 Mass Effect games and have spent hundreds of hours playing/replaying them. I thought ME3 was fantastic even before the revamped ending. As much as people dumped on ME3's ending, HL2's was infinitely worse. Once the extended/improved ending was introduced, ME3 vaulted to the best game of the last 5 years, IMO.

Again, we're just not going to agree on this one.

It is called pacing. HL2 does it with puzzles interspersed with linear 3d map action...ME2 does pacing with cheesy dialogue and alnost always 2d map linear run and gun action. For me me1 I could replay, me2 and me3 were one offs.

If I were going to choose a Bioware RPG to put up for that list, I'd choose KOTOR or, even though I personally don't like it quite as much as ME, Dragon Age: Origins.

No, not a fucking chance. And none of the above.

Shadow of the Colossus if I had to pick from the list. But it's been far too long since I played my PS2 for me to remember if that's a fair evaluation.

Last edited:
You have to consider that HL2 was released before all these other games so it was groundbreaking. And the reason why it feels like the gameplay/genre is old/boring/hammered in is because every games of the past decade had tried to duplicate it.

Bad list for a shit concept. You can't pick a best game for a decade that just fucking happened. Regardless, the obvious choice is Wii Sports. In all seriousness HL2 was a tedious disappointment in fall 2004 and there aren't any HL2 clones last I checked.

Last edited:
Bad list for a shit concept. You can't pick a best game for a decade that just fucking happened. Regardless, the obvious choice is Wii Sports. In all seriousness HL2 was a tedious disappointment in fall 2004 and there aren't any HL2 clones last I checked.

cereal-guy-newspaper-guy.png

HL2 ... even has plot and non cheesy dialogue.

HL hasn't had a decent plot since they shot themselves in the foot with the HL1 ending. People seem to read a lot more into it than is actually there.

If you start talking about impact I think then you have to start thinking about things like COD. COD might be the game even more than WOW that started to redefine FPS gaming. Making it acceptable to do everything that makes us cringe in a FPS. Remember when grinding and shitty leveling up was why we didnt play MMOs? Ha COD made every FPS want to be an MMO.

When I think of a first person shooter campaign I really can't think of anything better than HL2.

Special recognition should go to FEAR. Those are definitely my top 2.

With all the bullshit that goes on in my life I prefer escapist games. Any games that don't take me out of reality bored me to tears. I think that's why I'm the cheerleader for payday the heist. I just love game idea of being in a bank robbers shoes.

probably third behind Half-life 2 and FEAR would be Bioshock. Bioshock really dragged me through it kicking and screaming but I found myself less into it because it just didn't have it together as well as the first two. They fumbled around in some areas.

Another game I'm sad that no one talks about is Enslaved: Odyssey to the west. Games like that get ignored despite how amazing they are in the all hype and bullshit of big name titles.

When I just think of games I really thought were great I also think of Dead Space. While not a perfect game it's the best survival horror game I've played since the early resident evil titles 1, 2 and Veronica.

Holy Fucking shit. YOU READ MY MIND. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Sp fps: S.T.A.L.K.E.R SOC, hands down
rpg: elder scrolls morrowind
mmo: world of warcraft (vanilla through bc)
mp fps: battlefield 2 (still has no equal)

half life 2 was a generic pile of crap. all it did was to be the first main stream game that had physics every thing else was blah.

Mohaa brought more to the table than half life 2. it basically spawned the modern fps

It is called pacing. HL2 does it with puzzles interspersed with linear 3d map action...ME2 does pacing with cheesy dialogue and alnost always 2d map linear run and gun action. For me me1 I could replay, me2 and me3 were one offs.

no, it was called tedium....HL2 is one of those games I have never been able to play through a second time. It is just so bland and boring. ooooo gravity gun...bleh. fun for 5 minutes, gets old at 6 minutes, you want to kill Valve at 10 minutes because the game should have just been named "man with gravity gun"

there are so many games out there in the last decade, that were considered way worse than HL2 that I would rather play, and I'd have a good time playing them 2 or 3 times (or more)

Half-Life 2 changed the way we play games when they introduced physics. The game itself had a great story and impressive level design for its time. The graphics were incredible and facial animations had never been seen with such detail before. Characters were fluid and looked almost real. The gameplay itself was simple but it fun, it felt like a classic old school shooter and that's what it was supposed to be. Why you guys are comparing its standards to games of today I have no idea.

no, it was called tedium....HL2 is one of those games I have never been able to play through a second time. It is just so bland and boring. ooooo gravity gun...bleh. fun for 5 minutes, gets old at 6 minutes, you want to kill Valve at 10 minutes because the game should have just been named "man with gravity gun"

there are so many games out there in the last decade, that were considered way worse than HL2 that I would rather play, and I'd have a good time playing them 2 or 3 times (or more)

The gravity gun doesn't show up until a quarter or 3rd of the way through the game and is mainly used to solve puzzles. You have an assortment of weapons for fighting. What game did you play exactly? Are you thinking of portal?

Completely agree with HL2 being the game of the decade. I just wish they would have taken that chance on stage to announce HL3. It's becoming a bit ridiculous now. I think they may be competing with TF2 for longest Valve development cycle.

Where's Call of Duty 4? Maybe that title wouldn't be the best one, but I think it deserves to be on it.

WoW should definitely be at the top of the list. Its impact on PC gaming across the entire decade cannot be denied in any terms you care to define. Revenue, number of clones, time spent playing...nothing even comes close.

HL2 is way, way over-rated. Seriously it's just a short shooter campaign and...nothing else. It just wasn't that good. Half Life 1 was more innovative in bringing storytelling into the shooter genre.

The Mass Effect series deserves honorable mention. Not so much for the gameplay as the creative story spanning three titles. It did more for storytelling in the shooter genre than HL ever did.

Half life 2 is on the right.

leveldesignclassic.jpg

Fantastic argument, so because the gameplay was linear the level design is terrible? No that doesn't work sir, sorry. Also there was maybe 4 cut scenes in the entire game; which weren't really cutscenes since you could move around and interact with objects.

Fantastic argument, so because the gameplay was linear the level design is terrible? No that doesn't work sir, sorry. Also there was maybe 4 cut scenes in the entire game; which weren't really cutscenes since you could move around and interact with objects.

If you look for half-life 2 maps someone posted a massive scale map of half-life 2 but I can't get it to load. Half-life 2 can't be compared to a standard linear corridor shooter because it's just not. There's plenty to explore and multi-ways of getting through most areas. Ravenholm at night sticks out in my mind. I actually got confused on where to go in that city at one point.

Half-life 2 was also very puzzle heavy. Really the argument just doesn't stand. One thing Half-life 2 is specifically famous for is the gameplay variety. They tried many different things in half-life 2 that no one done before. Physics was more than just breaking boxes.

Sure doom had decent size maps but every puzzle was also just a door switch.

HL2's puzzles consisted of piling boxes on top of each other and turning valves to fill rooms with water. oh yes, so revolutionary.

(sarcasm)

HL2's puzzles consisted of piling boxes on top of each other and turning valves to fill rooms with water. oh yes, so revolutionary.

(sarcasm)

Put concrete cinder blocks on a teeter board so that you can reach a ledge. Grab barrels and place them under a ramp to cause it to float so you can hop a gap. Grab an energy ball with the gravity gun, shoot it at an angled hallway so that it will bounce off 2 walls and blow up a device. Yeah, every game had this...

So much hate for HL2. I would go with HL2 or ME2 as game of the decade, personally. HL2 continued on HL1's legacy of good storytelling and voice acting in a FPS. There is mystery, suspense and genuine connection with the NPCs (for those that enjoy it, obviously). I guess I'm including the episodes in it as well; the current cliffhanger ending had the most impact of any game ending (to me) than any game I've ever played.

The only thing good that Half Life 1 & 2 provided for me was the game engine for the mods. In influence only I'd potentially have it on a list for game of the decade but for the actual gameplay itself? No fucking chance.

And be dismissive about the opinions if you will, but for me it was rarely entertaining and always had this sterility about it that prevented me from fawning over it for some technical aspect.

ME2.

Valve can go pound sand with their HL teaser/TF2 antics. They provided a good engine but completely went off the tracks as far as TF2 went. Maybe I'm showing my age but I remember when TF2 was supposed to be a military shooter. TF2 is just what it looks like, a cartoony joke.

ME2 was an awesome story and rounded out the Mass Effect Universe as a whole...mmmm Miranda.

ME2.

Valve can go pound sand with their HL teaser/TF2 antics. They provided a good engine but completely went off the tracks as far as TF2 went. Maybe I'm showing my age but I remember when TF2 was supposed to be a military shooter. TF2 is just what it looks like, a cartoony joke.

ME2 was an awesome story and rounded out the Mass Effect Universe as a whole...mmmm Miranda.

Man I sat down for TF2 this weekend to try out co-op. I just can't get into it I really wish they had just left TF2 alone after the first month or so of patching.

and speaking of WoW

i-2krTqt6-L.jpg

Last edited:
TF2 may be a joke, but it's a god damn cash cow for Valve. Sadly stupid cartoony games with crappy micro transactions sells :(

out of all of those I liked shadow of colossus the most

Maybe I'm showing my age but I remember when TF2 was supposed to be a military shooter. TF2 is just what it looks like, a cartoony joke.

The last thing we've needed in the past five years is yet another modern military shooter. I'd have been happier if they stuck with classic TF styling, but at least they went for something original in shooter artistic design.

That said, TF2 is just missing something gameplay wise for me compared to TF and TFC.

io98
Put concrete cinder blocks on a teeter board so that you can reach a ledge. Grab barrels and place them under a ramp to cause it to float so you can hop a gap. Grab an energy ball with the gravity gun, shoot it at an angled hallway so that it will bounce off 2 walls and blow up a device. Yeah, every game had this...

I sense your facetiousness, but whilst not every game had this, many had puzzles of the same extravagance. H-L2 was alright as a game, but it seemed to spend more time sucking its own dick as a physics engine demo than a game, in the same way Crysis let you shoot down trees. Fun, but in the end nothing in terms of gameplay other than a distraction.

If you look for half-life 2 maps someone posted a massive scale map of half-life 2 but I can't get it to load. Half-life 2 can't be compared to a standard linear corridor shooter because it's just not. There's plenty to explore and multi-ways of getting through most areas. Ravenholm at night sticks out in my mind. I actually got confused on where to go in that city at one point.
I get confused where to go and what to do in some stages of Darksiders too. That doesn't make it a good game. It makes it incoherent. Also if there are any random additions to the quoted text my cat is making out with my keyboard and mouse right now

Well, HL2 is my favorite video game of all time. But then I'm not really a big gamer and haven't played any of the others besides Wii Sports and Portal.

Portal 2 was damn good too, but I'd still much rather they have put that energy into HL3 instead.

Back