Half Life 2 new release date ?!?

Howdy

n00b
Just found a new release date for HL2 i hope its legit cuz this game needs to be releasedClick here

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
First thing, your link doesn't work. It has the "http://" twice.

Secondly. Never, ever, assume that the release date given by a retailer means anything. It is a guess based on the same information we all have access to. Until the game is announced GOLD, ignore all retailer websites that have a "release date" posted.

Availability: This item will be released on September 1, 2004. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives.

Like he said, it's not true. Don't trust retailers.

I heard october 9 recently too, but then again, i've heard last year from the same person :rolleyes:

I'm not saying I believe amazon, merely stating a point that more and more release dates are being brought out by retailers. Meaning they have got to somehow be getting near the end of this.

Best Buy = 8/26
Amazon = 9/1
Walmart = 9/2
EBGames = 9/1
CompUSA = 9/1

make your own assumptions

When every sotre has the same basic date, thats a good sign. Just before doom 3 went gold, all the stores changed their date to early Augest, could this be that hl2 is soon to go gold? :)

Mojo3k70 said:
When every sotre has the same basic date, thats a good sign. Just before doom 3 went gold, all the stores changed their date to early Augest, could this be that hl2 is soon to go gold? :)

The September date has stuck since mid-June. Don't believe it.

I still think we'll hear a gold announcement within the month, and see it on shelves mid-September. But, that's just a guess, and no more valid than anyone else's speculation.

"This item will be released on September 1, 2004. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives."

Oh god I wish. Wait, no I dont, i start school the 6th.

thats why I bought doom3 immediatly, so I'd play it a few times before I had to do learning :D

A very reliable source has stated that HL2 will be out 6-12 months after Valve's next BS ATI promotion.

I can promise you it won't be September 1st, and I'm seriously doubting it'll be this year.

hahahahaha, that penny arcade cartoon is great. those guys are hilarious :D

It's been 9/1 for a longass time, and usually by now they would of delayed it again. Closing in on 3 weeks. But CS:Source "Beta" or whatever was delayed so I see bad news coming soon. :/

They probably don't want it to come out so soon after Doom 3. They probably want to wait until Doom 3 is old news, that way HL2 will be the only thing on everyone's mind. Just a guess.

I was guessing that too. Very good idea. Especially for people who can't always get $50 video games whenever they want.

Milenko said:
Like he said, it's not true. Don't trust retailers.
Don't trust developers either. Wait for the publisher to make an announcement. This is especially true with Valve who has slipped a few of their own announced dates. The publisher is the only one to be trusted. They're the ones that give final approval and ship the disk off to manufacturing.

Valve can say it's gold and sent it to Vivendi, but Vivendi can always find a problem and ship it right back to be fixed. It ain't done until Vivendi sez it's done.

9/1 would be nice. I have a coupon I got with my old 9800 XT for a free version of the game. How is that going to work? Download it, or wait 6-8 weeks for delivery from Valve after it hits store shelves? If I download it, can I burn it to a DVD?

Theres something on gamespy.com about mid to late september.... Why can't they just post a f'in date! So sick of this waiting. Delay after delay after delay... Just f'n release it already before u get hacked again! :rolleyes:

Torgo said:
Don't trust developers either. Wait for the publisher to make an announcement. This is especially true with Valve who has slipped a few of their own announced dates. The publisher is the only one to be trusted. They're the ones that give final approval and ship the disk off to manufacturing.

Valve can say it's gold and sent it to Vivendi, but Vivendi can always find a problem and ship it right back to be fixed. It ain't done until Vivendi sez it's done.

That's excatly one of the reasons why Valve has It coming out over Steam.

This puts them in a kind of new light because they are going to control the sells/distrubtion of HL2 via steam, whereas the publisher will be doing the actual retail in stores and things.

So valve could actually release HL2 via steam and vivendi could hold off the retail in store release until they wanted.

When I pay 50$ for a game, I expect something I can actually hold in my hand and easily move from computer to computer (all my personal computers, no piracy of course). I like laying in my bed reading whatever came with the game before playing, or before I go to bed.

If the steam version is cheaper (5$ or more) or comes out a week before the hard copy, I might MAYBE get it. I still perfer the idea of the game being on a physical medium so I can keep it safe incase I get a new HD or my comp needs to be reformated so I dont have to download it.

Luxor said:
It's been 9/1 for a longass time, and usually by now they would of delayed it again. Closing in on 3 weeks. But CS:Source "Beta" or whatever was delayed so I see bad news coming soon. :/

CS: Source hasn't been delayed. Its Going to be playable in Cyber Cafe's on the 10th and later this month will be released to CZ owners or what not.

|-Goku-|

Stiler said:
So valve could actually release HL2 via steam and vivendi could hold off the retail in store release until they wanted.
Vivendi and Valve have strong contracts in place that place restrictions on online releases. Say Valve released the game a month early without Vivendi's say-so, Vivendi would sue Valve over damages incurred by lost sales and a shoddy product.

The Steam/B&M thing is all highly orchestrated to be released within moments of each other.

been talking to friends about this. Late november. Just in time for xmas rush, and far away from the doom launch that it wont be affected. Well, thats if they ship it this year. If not.....dunno.

They're going to hold it limbo just long enough for everyone to lose those "Free HL2" vouchers that game with the ATi XT promotions.

Fuck Valve.

They've only shipped one game...Half-Life 2 will make two real, standalone games that they have shipped. I'm not doubting that HL2 will be great...I can't say, but it sure as shit better be done and not have to be patched the first day.

There are only three reasons I care about HL2 shipping:
1. I have a free coupon from ATI.

2. Counter Strike: Source (though I'm not that excited, I see it just as CS, but prettier)

3. Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines. It won't release until HL2 does, b/c of the use of the Source engine. I'm looking forward to this game infinately more than HL2, and I'm getting HL2 for free from ATI. Curious, eh?

I wish they would stop feeding us crap and just push the release back for like six months. At least then we would have some hope that they can meet it, instead of this little delays that serve nothing but to irritate the very people looking forward to purchasing the game.

|-Goku-| said:
CS: Source hasn't been delayed. Its Going to be playable in Cyber Cafe's on the 10th and later this month will be released to CZ owners or what not.

|-Goku-|

That's still a delay. Pre-loading was supposed to start last week.

Fortunetly it wasn't delayed long though.

Back