Half-Life 2 Looks Great in Unreal Engine 4

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
If you want to see what Half-Life 2 looks like in a modern gaming engine then you came to the right place. Vergil from YouTube has imported the meshes and textures from Half-Life 2 into the Unreal Engine 4 and recreated the first map. All I can say is it looks pretty dang good and a total conversion to the Unreal Engine would be awesome. Check it out.

Watch the video here.

It is cool, but kind of obvious. If you took all the work to remaster HL2 in a modern engine it better look good. That is the whole point.

Wait, Black Mesa isn't even done remaking HL1 in HL2

Remaking HL2 would take at least until the sun expands past Earth's orbit

Earth is the third planet from the sun. HL3 confirmed

Exactly.
HL3 using UnReal 4.

Looked very, very good. I would love to see Half-Life 2 imported in its entirety into Unreal Engine 4. Hell, I'd pay for a remastered version in UE4.

Seems like ive seen this before... or a different engine. I hate these conversion vids, cause it wont ever be playable.. so its the worst type of eye candy lol.

It's a shame source 2 died in development due to valve having no structure.

Their structure is just not in with game making... Source was a good engine but I wouldn't say it was the best at the time and since Valve didn't pursue development it became obsolete quickly. It's a shame but it did what it was supposed and we had HL2! ;)

You know, it really doesn't look all that different to me than the original (now almost 15 year old) Source engine.

Apart from some softer shadows, a few glass reflections, and that all-too-popular motion blur it really looks the same.

I remember being floored at how 'realistic' Half-Life 2 looked back in 2004, especially the City17 maps. I thought the buildings looked so real you could almost reach through the screen and touch them, and you know what? Almost fifteen years later and it holds up pretty well. I'm speaking of the current Source engine and HL2 and all the episodes as they stand today - not of this Unreal Engine mockup. Over the years some subtle enhancements have been made to Source (I think we got HDR and that motion blur a good while back) but all in all I still think it looks really good.

Yes, I'm an old fart.

Reactions: DocNo
like this
Are there any UE4 games on the horizon that look anything like these seemingly endless videos? It seems better suited as an architectural tool than a game engine at this point.

Half Life 2 in UE4 looks like Half Life 2 did when it came out in 2004 o_O

If you want to see what Half-Life 2 looks like in a modern gaming engine then you came to the right place. Vergil from YouTube has imported the meshes and textures from Half-Life 2 into the Unreal Engine 4 and recreated the first map. All I can say is it looks pretty dang good and a total conversion to the Unreal Engine would be awesome. Check it out.

Watch the video here.
It is pretty cool stuff but I gotta say I'm losing track of all these level/section remakes I've been seeing between [H] and DSOG. Somebody complete one and get it out already! Enough of the teasers and proof of concepts. If it's IP issues then for pete's sake IP owners, get a clue and look at how many are loving these projects and commit to some updated/re-released versions. Keep the costs down(looking at you Skyrim VR) and fans will buy them.

Lighting and shadows are certainly much more impressive. Way to much motion blur though... and the assets are still the same assets. With modern day assets this would really really good.

Nice to see someone doing something with Half Life, valve sure as fuck aren't. :mad:

This is cool. I'm not sure where this is headed, but I'm not interested in a HL2 reboot.

hey. How about they use UE4 to re-make Unreal Tournament (UT'99) and not yet another watered down over balanced version.

Are there any UE4 games on the horizon that look anything like these seemingly endless videos? It seems better suited as an architectural tool than a game engine at this point.

A lot of the videos which you are referring to are indeed just tech demos that need a lot of horsepower....more than most people have, but there is no shortage of games using UE4 to varying degrees of visual fidelity.

hey. How about they use UE4 to re-make Unreal Tournament (UT'99) and not yet another watered down over balanced version.

That's what they were going for with the new UT, yet somewhere along the lines it got FUBAR, then Fortnite came along and totally sunk it. It sucks. I tried to play the "new" UT a couple of weeks ago after a long break from it, it was absolutely terrible. They really mucked that game up.

Back