Half-Life 2 is officially available at all Best Buy stores immediately

Checked BB in Rochester, NY this morning at 11am. NO copies to be found anywhere. Why would you buy a retail copy for $54.99 when you can get the SAME thing on Steam for $49.95? I didn't pay tax here in NY.

doom3 hype was fukin annoying, and now hl2 hype is fukin annoying, people need to relax and just wait till tuesday, jeez

I hope you realize the retail copy is nothing more than the Steam install files on a CD. Its still encrypted and still requires the unlock key from Valve. You paid an extra $5 + tax for a box. You can make backup copies of the CDs by going to the following url in your web brower:

steam://backup

Kakyoin said:
I will, I was just wondering if anyone had gone, because whenever I call the people who answer the phone have no clue whats going on.

neet! I just picked up my copy of HL2 collectors edition here in orlando at BB

I know I have a coupon for today too to by software at a discount price also.

I don't know WHY it took off 16 bucks...but I'm not complaining :) I just snagged collector's edition for 64 bucks

drfish said:
Name the vendor and prove that there was a corporate order to start selling it early and I'll admit to being a fscking retard.

Don't know the vendor, but it's in huge letters at the top of our employee toolkit: From Corporate.. Can't find imagehosting through our firewall, but I've got an image to post later. When you admit it, engrave my copy.

computerpro3 said:
If you honestly think thats what happens to major retailers that break release date, then perhaps you are the one that is retarded. They aren't gonna blacklist walmart, no one does that.

Also, read what I wrote captain. I said clearly that anyone who *WASN'T* walmart would be punished on a particular store level. I even quoted boise for god's sake. Read what I typed.

Yea BBY in Lewisville TX has it on sale..Im going to pick it up later today. For you Texans in the DFW area the BBY is off of I35 and 3040 right by Vista Ridge Mall. And I saw it with my own eyes so its 100% true.

Mays Landing, NJ Best Buy 581 put HL2 copies on the shelves today.

I printed out the notice on ETK which all stores should have. I picked up my copy aswell, hopefully they will unlock it later tonight.

bby.gif

I guess woot? I have had my copy of Half-Life 2 since like October (I preloaded it). I mean we all still have to wait until Tuesday so who cares if retailers are selling them early. The activation requirement's main attribute is to counter retailers breaking the street date. Valve knew that this would happen and that's why there is activation.

Here is what Gabe thinks of ALL these threads saying VALVE UNLOCK and Retailers selling HL-2 early:
gabe6 large.jpg

We need to have a Half-Life 2 section where we can put all the HL-2 threads in All most all of them are rants and people asking the same questions over and over and over.

i liked the idea of steam up until now. This is the biggets bunch of bullshit I've ever heard of. We can't play HL2 even though WE OWN THE FUCKING GAME!? Screw valve, and their ugly fat piece of shit newell guy.

rayg said:
i liked the idea of steam up until now. This is the biggets bunch of bullshit I've ever heard of. We can't play HL2 even though WE OWN THE FUCKING GAME!? Screw valve, and their ugly fat piece of shit newell guy.

I think that this is a clever manuver to avoid piracy by Valve. We should get use to this type of distribution for the future.

Munhihausen said:
I think that this is a clever manuver to avoid piracy by Valve. We should get use to this type of distribution for the future.

I agree, I think we will start to see programs similar to Steam from all the big name companies.

Munhihausen said:

I agree 100%..good call.

why are only select Best Buy stores selling the game early??...you would think that if they got the OK to start selling early then ALL Best Buy stores would be selling it early...it seems like only a few Best Buy stores out in the boondocks and isolated Texas chainsaw massacre type cities are selling the game now...I live in the biggest city in the USA and I still can't get a copy from my local Best Buy

Munhihausen said:

HELLO CONSOLES!! I so tired of all this anti-piracy stuff.

i got my CE edition at walmart.com for 58$ so i will gladly wait the couple more days, being able to save almost 20$. Had to preorder it 3 months early, and walmart later raised the price, so i got a nice deal.

I went to the Best Buy in Spokane WA today and saw no copies of HL-2 any where. A sales rep. told me that it will be out on the 16th...

I was gonna say BB here in Colorado Springs is holding out as well but Steel Chicken beat me too it.....Hola neighbor!

i got my copy, i just wonder whats going to happen to people who dont have the internet that want to play

They pulled the copys right b4 I got there! :mad: :mad: :mad: DAMNIT I wanted to play CS:S...grrrrrr.

I work at the Frisco, TX Best buy, we've been selling it since the store opened this morning. Big display right at the front door: standard and collectors edition along w/ strategy guides.

postalSALMON said:
I work at the Frisco, TX Best buy, we've been selling it since the store opened this morning. Big display right at the front door: standard and collectors edition along w/ strategy guides.
Off I go :p

stupid game, i was installing it and it gave me some error on disc 4 and quit the install without letting me retry

if it does it again im going right back to best buy and getting another one with another cd key

Mr_Bucket said:
stupid game, i was installing it and it gave me some error on disc 4 and quit the install without letting me retry

if it does it again im going right back to best buy and getting another one with another cd key
Just preload it via Steam unless you have a 56k connection, its not like you will be able to play HL2 anyway.

stryder2720 said:
Just preload it via Steam unless you have a 56k connection, its not like you will be able to play HL2 anyway.
i bought the damn thing, i want working cds

So if you buy it in the store now you cant play it until Tuesday because it is locked too? Thats kinda annoying, why even sell it?

kapkorn said:
So if you buy it in the store now you cant play it until Tuesday because it is locked too? Thats kinda annoying, why even sell it?

IMO, its becuase bastards like BB want to take advantage of the weekend for sales.

I hate steam so much. Granted this is the viewpoint of an avid CS Player who is very familiar with steam. I want HL2 in a box, with a CD, and to be able to install it 5 years from now when steam doesnt exist anymore. Its gonna be one of the best games of all time, I just dont want to download it. I want to HAVE it. Steam can do w/e steam wants but the stunts there playing to force people to buy it from them are rediculous.

n64man120 said:
I hate steam so much. Granted this is the viewpoint of an avid CS Player who is very familiar with steam. I want HL2 in a box, with a CD, and to be able to install it 5 years from now when steam doesnt exist anymore. Its gonna be one of the best games of all time, I just dont want to download it. I want to HAVE it. Steam can do w/e steam wants but the stunts there playing to force people to buy it from them are rediculous.

IMO, steam is a glance of the future of pc gaming....again, just M/O. But i like the idea of not having to use a cd.

laserdemon said:
IMO, steam is a glance of the future of pc gaming....again, just M/O. But i like the idea of not having to use a cd.

I see what you mean, kinda have to agree with you. Guess i'm a traditionalist... wanna hold it and physically posses it. (I know u can backup the files from steam on disk)

n64man120 said:
I see what you mean, kinda have to agree with you. Guess i'm a traditionalist... wanna hold it and physically posses it. (I know u can backup the files from steam on disk)

I agree about that too...but you know, everything changes and i dont even have a FDD game anymore...lol......also from what ive seen so far, when you buy the game you get the same thing we "steamers" get when we make a backup. do you retail guys get all the back catalog with that? just wondering..

Damn, i hope i didnt just coin a term for steam users "steamers" sounds like a clam dish

Question: Are there gamers here that dont even remember games on FDD?

Well, even if the BB around here was selling it, I guess there's no point in getting it if you can't play it until Tuesday.

Oh well... shit on it.. it's just a game.

BTW, when I saw this name, I about spit cheese on my monitor... "Booby McNipples"

Man, I got so owned...

I called BestBuy in Moreno Valley at noon asking if they have HL2 available. They told me they had 192 copies available but it is not being released until 11/16. Then I see that Coporate letter from BestBuy saying there is no longer a street date for HL2. I called the BB back at 4:45p (PST) and they tell me they are sold out and to check back later next week :mad:

Back