Half-Life 2 Gets Official Support for Oculus Rift

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Oculus Rift announced that Valve is now officially supporting the virtual reality headset for Half-Life 2 and has also added support for SteamPipe. This addition follows the support for Team Fortress 2 introduced back in March.

"This port is a bit more raw than TF2 was when it shipped," Ludwig explained, "so we would appreciate hearing about any bugs you find. Just like in TF2 this mode is experimental, so we really want to hear what you think."

It looks like this may be the first real entry into good VR for home use that is really supported. There have been a few, but they died because they weren't supported well, expensive.

I'm glad, I've been waiting for VR for a LONG time. :)

i wonder how long before someone uses oculus, a laptop, 2 hd webcams and makes a suped up Google Glass with full vision augmented reality?

Those loading screens will kill the immersion. Then again, if you can afford the rift, your game library is probably on a ramdisk or 24 raided SSDs anyway... :rolleyes:

Hmm :rolleyes:
If your blind in one eye like me you would see why there are use less to me

The articles ive read said it will mimic what you can see IRL right now, so you may like it even. If you ever get a chance to try one out somewhere, might be neat to give it a whirl.

Those loading screens will kill the immersion. Then again, if you can afford the rift, your game library is probably on a ramdisk or 24 raided SSDs anyway... :rolleyes:
You can't really be immersed in the Rift right now anyway: display resolution is too low to be really compelling. At the most, you'll get these nice fractions of seconds where you forget that you're looking at a game through an HMD, but then your focus rolls back on the screen door display and you're thrust back to the real world.

I played a couple hours in the Rift last night and it's a pretty decent experience. Not quite as refined as TF2 is at the moment, but it's pretty good when you tone the movement speed down a peg or two. You could definitely play through the entire game like this if you can adapt to the simulator sickness well enough.

Definite wins include swimming just above the water's surface, which yields a pretty trippy effect, and Alyx's ass. It's in 3D. It's also cool to be able to just turn your head away from scanners when their flash bulb is about to go off to avoid being blinded. Being able to map a natural impulse like that to some event in the game makes for a great moment.

Hmm :rolleyes:
If your blind in one eye like me you would see why there are use less to me
I think he meant your spelling... "to" should be "too", "there" should be "they're", "use less" should be "useless", "there" (in 2nd post) should be "they" and "your" should be "you're" :p

I think he meant your spelling... "to" should be "too", "there" should be "they're", "use less" should be "useless", "there" (in 2nd post) should be "they" and "your" should be "you're" :p

I know but I really don't care for smart butt when he doesn't even know me so what if I'm not 100% perfect at spelling that one area I never been good at any way. thanks for your nice comment Youn.

Guy thread craps, gets called out, plays victim. Love it.

Well, that's at least one game people can play. It need MS Office 2003 - 2013 support to really take off though. And, with the world driving hard toward Cloud apps/gaming IE needs to support it as well so the majority of top earning games will work.

The articles ive read said it will mimic what you can see IRL right now, so you may like it even. If you ever get a chance to try one out somewhere, might be neat to give it a whirl.

One thing is for sure I didn't like the 3D Movie stuff nor the nVidia 3D Stereoscopic Glasses and other like them before, If what your saying is true then that would be nothing more then a pair of micro small monitor in goggles and to me I wouldn't classified that as virtual reality, You may as well build this
BBqCjc4CIAEbXes.jpg

Back