Half Life 2. First 10 Minute impression

starhawk said:
be interesting to see what he says tonight... bet he eats his words. i've seen some pretty incredible graphics in my life... but nothing like these.

Graphics only mean so much.

EXAMPLE: Doom 3, great graphics but a crappy game.

This sucks, gotta wait just over 5 hours before I get off work and get home.

Screen shots look amazing btw.

Should I play this game on 1024x768 with AA and AF?
Or should I play this on 1280x960 with no AA and AF?
Or some other combination?

ATi 9800XT
AMD Barton 2500+ OC to 2ghz (2700+)
ASUS k7n8x mobo
1 gig ddr ram dual channel
80gig Maxtor 8mb cache 7200rpm
19" CRT

ds- said:
This sucks, gotta wait just over 5 hours before I get off work and get home.

Count yourself lucky. I'll have to wait longer than that. Tonight promises to be a late night in the campus computer lab.

ok after the hour and a half of hassle for installation. THE GAME IS AWESOME!!!! best physics and graphix EVER!! OH MY GOD!! i cant believe how good this game came out! those little helicopter things scare the shit outta me!

HardD99 said:
ok after the hour and a half of hassle for installation. THE GAME IS AWESOME!!!! best physics and graphix EVER!! OH MY GOD!! i cant believe how good this game came out! those little helicopter things scare the shit outta me!
yea thoes suck! i HATE the little red spinny razor things

[Fate]Doom said:
Graphics only mean so much.

The mantra of those that play at 640 x 480.

First they say, "well, I can play on a big TV," until I show them my computer can do that too.

Then they say "graphics don't matter," then they see farcry or HL2.

Then they say "but PCs are expensive," and I say, "you get what you pay for." :D

Someone was asking about playing on a lower end system? here is what I was playing it on with 1024x768 and it defualts to the best for your computer which I left everything alone.

Dual Xeon 1.6's at 2.5ghz
512mb ram
nVidia Fx5200 128mb
120gb Seagate PATA drive.

It runs real smooth with only a little big of lag in some places.

I thought this was about HL2??? Whats the beef. Games are to be enjoyed, regardless of the platform. If you havent even played it yet I would recommend you stop with the flames and wait until you have. I dont have an X-Box so I cant comment on Halo2. Hava a nice day :D

Jonsey said:
The mantra of those that play at 640 x 480.

First they say, "well, I can play on a big TV," until I show them my computer can do that too.

Then they say "graphics don't matter," then they see farcry or HL2.

Then they say "but PCs are expensive," and I say, "you get what you pay for." :D

PCs are not better than Consoles and Consoles are not better than PCs. I have both. There is a a reason I have both. Some things are better about PC, such as resolution... some are better about Console, such as smoothness and ease of use, and when you have a big TV, a console works MUCH better than a PC does.

I wouldnt give up my console or my PC. No reason to be a fan person of either one..

Before I played I heard about how they added wave analyzation to do the lip movements. What I didn't realize is that this is done on the fly. I messed something up when I was tweaking the settings, and when I restarted the game the sound wasn't working. Not caring for the moment I started a new game. So there was G-Man in the introduction, and he wasn't saying a word, meaning his lips weren't moving! If the sound isn't on the wave analyzation doesn't make the peoples lips move! Call me geek, but on the fly wave analyzation is some sweet programming!

tacomaboy said:
some are better about Console, such as smoothness and ease of use, and when you have a big TV, a console works MUCH better than a PC does.

How does a console work better on a big TV? Smoothness is all about high FPS, and you can't tell me a FPS (like Halo 2) which is pushing the Xbox tech to the limit has a higher FPS then a high-end video card will get with Half-Life2. As far as ease of use, the controller is just hard to use, but that's just a personal opinion. All a console really has over a PC is how cheap it is (and game selection).

Back on topic, great to hear impressions of the game, keep 'em coming!

The physics and immersion that this game offers are truly something to behold. The environments are well done too. I love the oppressed aura that City 17 gives off; it reminds me of the descriptions that Jews gave of Nazi-occupied areas.

I've noticed some negatives within two hours, though...

1: I threw a cinder-block at a Combine soldier and he only chased me for a few yards. I'm not sure about you guys, but if I was still conscious after being hit in the head with a cinder block, I'd be a bit more enthusiastic about my chase.

2: The Combine AI is a bit spotty at times. Granted, they will sweep left and right for cover, but within four seconds, they will pop up in the same position they were shooting from earlier.

Like I said, it's a wonderful game. I'd hold out before I called it the best ever, though.

How does a console work better on a big TV? Smoothness is all about high FPS, and you can't tell me a FPS (like Halo 2) which is pushing the Xbox tech to the limit has a higher FPS then a high-end video card will get with Half-Life2.

High FPS and stability are two different things. A stable 30fps (Which most console games provide) appears smoother than a game that jolts up or down 20fps, depending on the environment and level of action going on. No, an Xbox will never challenge a high-end videocard. It shouldn't, and won't (Considering high-end videocards are three to four times the price of an Xbox, I hope they don't have trouble beating it).

Why is this even an issue? This discussion is about Half-Life 2. Why can't you people praise a game objectively without going out of your way to criticize something that is completely unrelated just to piss people off?

WickedAngel said:
The physics and immersion that this game offers are truly something to behold. The environments are well done too. I love the oppressed aura that City 17 gives off; it reminds me of the descriptions that Jews gave of Nazi-occupied areas.

I've noticed some negatives within two hours, though...

1: I threw a cinder-block at a Combine soldier and he only chased me for a few yards. I'm not sure about you guys, but if I was still conscious after being hit in the head with a cinder block, I'd be a bit more enthusiastic about my chase.

2: The Combine AI is a bit spotty at times. Granted, they will sweep left and right for cover, but within four seconds, they will pop up in the same position they were shooting from earlier.

Like I said, it's a wonderful game. I'd hold out before I called it the best ever, though.

I don't rememeber seeing any other game code "blind rage AI" properly. :p

I was getting some serious amusement pissing the Combine off...I have to admit that. The cinder-block was just the icing on the cake.

"Back up."

"NOW!!!"

*Raises baton

*Gordon throws cinder-block and runs like a little girl.

I personally enjoyed hurling the half-naked doll from the playground at them repeatedly and then escaping to the merry-go-round. Yeah what the hell Valve, your AI is so advanced but I can jump on a merry-go-round and be safe? Put more merry-go-rounds throughout the levels please... And if only I could ride that bike up the slide, I'd be happy...

JUST KIDDING

Jonsey said:
How does a console work better on a big TV? Smoothness is all about high FPS, and you can't tell me a FPS (like Halo 2) which is pushing the Xbox tech to the limit has a higher FPS then a high-end video card will get with Half-Life2. As far as ease of use, the controller is just hard to use, but that's just a personal opinion. All a console really has over a PC is how cheap it is (and game selection).

Back on topic, great to hear impressions of the game, keep 'em coming!

I consistently get very good FPS on all console games, whereas often in many places on PC games I get wild dips in FPS. On a decent machine, AMD 2500XP ATI Radeon 2800Pro, etc etc. So by smoothness I mean consistent smoothness. I dont care if I get 10000 FPS if every 10 minutes it drops to 10 FPS. I would much rather have 30FPS constantly, and with a console I always get that, even with Halo2. It has never dropped to where I notice the frames. So sometimes the PC is better, sometimes the console.

If you cannot handle a controller, how can you type on a keyboard? A controller is MUCH easier to use, but I will admit it is slower than a mouse, and the PC has an advantage there.

My console is actually more expensive when you count my TV and Radio.... (would put it around 2500 compared to the 1500 of the computer).

But ease of use is the BIGGEST advantage for consoles. Have you not read the 10 threads on "I cant install HL2?"

Also, if you have ever tried connecting a PC to a TV its a PITA!! Overscan, resolution, timings, etc etc etc. I got mine workign at 540P and I wsa not happy with it at all. Doom3 looked like crap anyhow since it wouldnt work in wide screen. But Halo 2 worked wide screen easily and flawlessly.

WickedAngel said:
The toilets flush though.

TAKE THAT iD

Yeah but the game is much too bright. I wish they had sunglasses to put on or something... :p

first hour: I love it!!!
I'm not going to stop playing until.... never!!! :p

ojax said:
well Im too tired to figure out why Im getting a memory error before I even see the main screen... CS: source and every other steam game runs perfectly, with no problems... Farcry, Doom 3, Halo, UT2004, NFSU 2 all work fine as well... in fact, every game I own I can get into or at least safe mode to find solutions to my errors...

After changing video drivers, closing processes, changing memory allocation, running memtest ( with no problems ) I cannot find the problem. Just this "0x00000xx" memory in "0xp09d0s9d" ( or something ) cannot be "read".

I checked out steam support and their solution to this problem is pretty brutal, by suggesting I basically do EVERYTHING.. sound, bios, video, router, every fuckin driver etc etc etc... so steam in no fuckin help..

Sooo fuck it, I deleted all local HL2 game content and Im in the process of downloading the entire fuckin game again.. I guess getting up in the middle of the night was bad luck for me... bah... everyone else's HL2 works fine, wtf doesn't mine....

back to bed..

edit: wow awesome only 260 minutes before I can play! ............................ :mad:

Well after downloading for 6 hours I finished getting all of the Halflife 2 files back again. Click play and same memory error.... I haven't a clue what to do now at this point.... The only solution I could maybe see is formatting the HD and reinstalling everything.... Or start changing every driver I have for each periph, going to bios and turning off overclock, adjusting video, sound, ram, HD, cpu, settings until my fuckin face turns blue and its next week.........

How wonderful it is having every single game and app on my computer work flawlessly, yet HL2 doesn't even get to the opening screen..... I just don't fuckin get it....

:( :(

Stereophile said:
rocks.jpg

Hahahaha, you made my day.

Going home to play it in a little while, looks great, hope the gameplay is on par. :)

OldPueblo said:
Yeah but the game is much too bright. I wish they had sunglasses to put on or something... :p

Get some black utility paper and put it over your face. You'll get the Doom 3 experience while playing Half-Life 2!!!111

independantvariable said:
Has anyone played in on a sub-par, to average system. Lets say lower than 2.0GHZ or lower than a 9800pro. I want to know how to plays on the average users computer. At any res.

XP1600@1600 with a 9600Pro at 800X600

Looks awesome for such a low res, plays a little choppy though. Stutters every once in a while. I think it is actually related to sound, but havn't had time to investigate.

First ten minutes? I can tell you about the first hour.
First hour has been trying in vain to activate the game I bought.

This fucking rocks!!

t. shuffle said:
First ten minutes? I can tell you about the first hour.
First hour has been trying in vain to activate the game I bought.
See...I TOLD you ppl that Valve's little scheme would backfire and screw even MORE legitimate gamers...good thing I'm not getting HL2 until later...I'll wait til the price lowers a bit...maybe get it off eBay...and also til someone disables this retarded activation sh!t...I'm gonna be living in FL for 7 months and my PC won't have internet capability...in order to browse the internet I'll have to use Disney's PC's...I'll have to use my PC for single player gaming only...here's what I gotta say to you Valve for not letting me play my single player game that I bought:
fu.gif

Metallica_Band said:
See...I TOLD you ppl that Valve's little scheme would backfire and screw even MORE legitimate gamers...good thing I'm not getting HL2 until later...I'll wait til the price lowers a bit...maybe get it off eBay...and also til someone disables this retarded activation sh!t...I'm gonna be living in FL for 7 months and my PC won't have internet capability...in order to browse the internet I'll have to use Disney's PC's...I'll have to use my PC for single player gaming only...here's what I gotta say to you Valve for not letting me play my single player game that I bought:
fu.gif

Install the game now, or at least before you leave, and then while you're in Florida just start Steam in offline mode. You can play the game just fine, but you do need to have a net connection to register it. It's not that difficult.

Umm...I do regular cleanings of my hdd...it keeps my OS and stuff running smoothly all the time...for me, not reinstalling the OS for 7 months is like not cleaning the filters for the AC for 7 months...:eek:

Metallica_Band said:
Umm...I do regular cleanings of my hdd...it keeps my OS and stuff running smoothly all the time...for me, not reinstalling the OS for 7 months is like not cleaning the filters for the AC for 7 months...:eek:

Do you have a hard copy or are you getting it from Steam? If you have a hard copy then I can only imagine you'd be able to borrow a connection for whatever time it would take to register after installing.

the@ntipop said:
But once the action started, I swear to god I thought I was the one in the situation. It's so engrossing and believeable. The environment is alive and the interaction... wow.

QFMFT x 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Metallica_Band said:

:rolleyes: the a/c filters in my house haven't been cleaned in years...

:D mainly because the a/c doesn't work... we have a window unit. cheaper to run than the old one anyways... and it works well.

Metallica_Band said:

Dijonase said:
Do you have a hard copy or are you getting it from Steam? If you have a hard copy then I can only imagine you'd be able to borrow a connection for whatever time it would take to register after installing.

Get the game, preferably over steam while you have a bb connection. Install it, and activate it. Run in steam offline mode (look somewhere else to find out how to do that. Go to your internet browser and type steam://backup

back those files up to DVD. don't deprive yourself of the best single player experience ever simply out of a petty grudge against Valve for doing things the way they do.

I know it sucks to have to go through all that crap just to get the game running. Like I said I felt like a circus clown. At the same time I cant blame um. They gotta do something to try to curb the pirates. With broadband and most gamers are in the know about how to "GET" games I cant see what other choice they have. Back in the day you had 500 people buy and make a copy for 5 of their friends now you got 5 people buying makeing copies for 2 million people they've never met. Add to that the temptation to grab the games for free even for people like me that realy wants to pay for the games I play. I've downloaded my share of games too. If every person who downloaded a game actualy paid for it the PC would dwarf the consoles in sales. The sad thing is that most PC gamers can afford to buy they games they are stealing. Its not like we are a bunch of 13 year olds with no jobs and parents who wont buy us anything. Most of us can buy a game or two a month and not even notice. If you can honestly say you have never once downloaded or played a pirated game then you maybe have a small reason to bitch. I dout there is more than a handfull of you. Even Kyle and the rest of the owners and runners of the OCP and forums are guilty I'm sure. I remember Kyle even asked in these forums one time how to "GET" dreamcast games. So its a pain in the ass and all but I think most of us have earned it.

Back