Half Life 2. First 10 Minute impression

I'm only talking about the multiplayer, not the entire game. I just think the multiplayer is more similar to UT than Halo 1.

Pendragon said:
I'm only talking about the multiplayer, not the entire game. I just think the multiplayer is more similar to UT than Halo 1.

I have heard that said by other people. I disagree personally, but its a valid opinion. I think the reason for it is, now that Halo 2 is Live enabled, since you can have LOTS of people play online, the game play can get hectic, ala UT. Try doing a local game with a few close friends. I did it with my brothers and I found it to be VERY much like the old Halo, but with lots of new toys and the car jacking feature is much more fun (the destructable vehicles is nice too).

But opinions are opinions... but from the PS2 !!!!!!s... can get annoying. At least PLAY the damned game before you declare it PWNED.

tacomaboy said:
I have heard that said by other people. I disagree personally, but its a valid opinion. I think the reason for it is, now that Halo 2 is Live enabled, since you can have LOTS of people play online, the game play can get hectic, ala UT. Try doing a local game with a few close friends. I did it with my brothers and I found it to be VERY much like the old Halo, but with lots of new toys and the car jacking feature is much more fun (the destructable vehicles is nice too).

But opinions are opinions... but from the PS2 !!!!!!s... can get annoying. At least PLAY the damned game before you declare it PWNED.

Haha fan boy = bad word. Noice!

Yeah, I noticed that too. Don't really understand why they filter it...

But anyway, I played it with 3 other guys and it felt like I was playing UT in "Turbo" mode. Also, what happened to the physics engine? Now I can jump 10 stories high...and cars don't kill people anymore?!

Yeah I am not sure why they changed the fall distance kill. I dunno, If Master Chief is strong enough to toss a Scorpion, maybe he could withstand a 100 foot drop? Maybe thats why they did it... But it does hurt game play some.

I did not esperience the UT effect until I got into a CTF game wth 16 player in it, and even then it wasnt as bad as UT...

Halo 2 is not perfect, I doubt well ever get a perfect game (though weve had some that were close) but I really like it alot. I may wait to get HL 2 since I work and go to Grad school at night so game time is limited for me, so one game at a time is all I can handle. And I dont want to sacrifice Halo 2 or HL2. But I will add HL2 to my Christmas List. It really looks bad ass.

ok for the past hour i have been installing this damn game, i read how good it is and cant even play the damn thing! this product registration is BS! i wish broadband was available here... im glad i got the special edition tho, switching those cds would have taken even longer... i love th DVD option! anyways, ill post back when i actually get to play

The game runs sooooo much better than I was expecting and the game play is smooth. It definitly met my expectations!

I only have a Ti4200 and it runs average 40-60fps at 1024x768. Looks sweet.

I've posted some pictures of HL2 at 800x600 and a few at 1024x768 (no AA or ASF). Honestly the screenshots don't do it justice: http://forum.mix-networks.com/viewtopic.php?t=271

Now I just have to get a better video card!

HardD99 said:
ok for the past hour i have been installing this damn game, i read how good it is and cant even play the damn thing! this product registration is BS! i wish broadband was available here... im glad i got the special edition tho, switching those cds would have taken even longer... i love th DVD option! anyways, ill post back when i actually get to play

BTW this is another reason cosoles arent so bad....

tacomaboy said:
Yeah I am not sure why they changed the fall distance kill. I dunno, If Master Chief is strong enough to toss a Scorpion, maybe he could withstand a 100 foot drop? Maybe thats why they did it... But it does hurt game play some.

I did not esperience the UT effect until I got into a CTF game wth 16 player in it, and even then it wasnt as bad as UT...

Halo 2 is not perfect, I doubt well ever get a perfect game (though weve had some that were close) but I really like it alot. I may wait to get HL 2 since I work and go to Grad school at night so game time is limited for me, so one game at a time is all I can handle. And I dont want to sacrifice Halo 2 or HL2. But I will add HL2 to my Christmas List. It really looks bad ass.

Alright dude... I understand PC elitists can get to you. But you've over stayed your welcome with this Halo stuff in this thread... say it with me now... last week! Really, stop ranting about Master Chief it's Gordon Freeman's day.

texuspete00 said:
Alright dude... I understand PC elitists can get to you. But you've over stayed your welcome with this Halo stuff. Especially on these boards and in this thread... say it with me now... last week! Really, stop ranting about Master Chief it's Gordon Freeman's day.

Hehehe sorry man, I am SOOOOO last week. BTW whats next week so I am up to date? I want to make sure I dont mention the GF next Tuesday lol.

P.S. I am trying SOOO hard to HiJack this thread but to no avail.

I just got a bit miffed at the senseless "Halo 2 is pwned and I havent even seen it yet" statement earlier. It was that dumb.

Dijonase said:
True, but it does have a no-CD. It's called Steam.
So does that mean you cant resell it when you are bored with it? or put it on 2 computers at home? what are the limitations?

trader28 said:
So does that mean you cant resell it when you are bored with it? or put it on 2 computers at home? what are the limitations?

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to play it on multiple computers. I don't see why you wouldn't. As far as reselling it goes, that I can't tell you.

Back to the topic, Half-Life 2 is totally friggin awesome!

I'm at work for the morning, but I don't think I'll be making it to class this afternoon. I'll tell my profs I came down with a nasty case of crabs....

Ron1jed said:
looks...ok..farcry probly has better grx

Not a chance!! Far Cry looks like shit compared to this!!! And I have an x800 xt pe. So I know what both games look like on max settings. Far Cry doesn't even come close. I can't believe you could even say that.

texuspete00 said:
Alright dude... I understand PC elitists can get to you. But you've over stayed your welcome with this Halo stuff in this thread... say it with me now... last week! Really, stop ranting about Master Chief it's Gordon Freeman's day.

By the way Master Chief would slap the crap out of that nerdy geek. LMAO had to say it.

man... wish I could be at home I do want to play this game....

colin said:
Back to the topic, Half-Life 2 is totally friggin awesome!

I'm at work for the morning, but I don't think I'll be making it to class this afternoon. I'll tell my profs I came down with a nasty case of crabs....

If I didn't have a huge program due in less than a week I'd be doing the same. Alas, school must come first.

trader28 said:

You can install the game on however many PCs you want. Whether you can access the game on those PCs depends on what account you log into steam with, so when you want to play you'll just log in (you dont have to be logged into an account that owns HL2 to install it).

I know that CS:Source doesn't allow two people from the same account. I don't know how it works with HL2's single player authentication.

As for selling the game, I'm not sure what is in the EULA, nor do I care, but you'd just give them your login and pass and boom, game transferred.

Tsumari

think there is any way in #@!! that hl2 would play on my home comp?
specs:
2.5ghz celeron
512mb ddr sdram
80gb hdd
integrated graphics
integrated sound
4-button usb joystick

evildre said:
wtf, where are the screenshots? :mad:
Dude I thought you were gonna wait till after christmas??? or did the thought of the game finally get to you???? :D

d1_trainstation_020001.jpg

d1_canals_050007.jpg

d1_trainstation_020000.jpg

wtf is that ugly longlegged alien?! it's fugly as #@!!.

Edit: no, i have never played hl1.

starhawk said:
wtf is that ugly longlegged alien?! it's fugly as #@!!.

Edit: no, i have never played hl1.

Thats the strider, basically a tank on long legs.

d1_canals_130000.jpg

Did those shots come from the game??? OMFG. Work has to go faster.

remind me to never p*ss off a strider. geez that thing is fugly... and i highly doubt that the gun slung underneath it is just for looks.

even though I hate ATI now after the 9800XT voucher bullshi*t I went through....well worth the wait! thumbs up guys!

cannot wait to play more and for HL3!!!!!!!

1024x768 full AA and AF.
d1_trainstation_010000.jpg

d1_trainstation_010004.jpg

d1_trainstation_020007.jpg

d1_trainstation_020009.jpg

d1_trainstation_050017.jpg

d1_trainstation_040011.jpg

All I can say after an hour of playing last night.....BLEEPITY BLEEP! :eek:

HOLY SH*T!!!!! those people look REAL!!!

Edit: just told my father about this thread... he will be falling out of his aeron chair at work the minute he sees those screenshots- he has never seen something cg that is that realistic.

Damn this looks good. Hopefully I will be seeing my girlfriend after work with my copy at my house.

starhawk said:
think there is any way in #@!! that hl2 would play on my home comp?
specs:
2.5ghz celeron
512mb ddr sdram
80gb hdd
integrated graphics
integrated sound
4-button usb joystick
Probably Not. Sorry.

[H]RedDog said:
WOW.... Outstanding. Ya know when you jump in your suit and you hear that old music and all you can say is "OH YEA BABY". I'm blown away. Already worth 60 bucks. Only thing... I feel like a damn circus clown with all the hoops I had to jump through to install the game. 5 cds's. register with steam. update steam. register the game. unlock the game....almost an hour later and I got to actualy play the game I PAID for. Still worth all that. It looks like the bar has been raised again. Everyone had high hopes for doom 3 and and alot of people were disapointed. I cant see anyone who can say they feel the same about this game. Proof that PC gaming is where its at. Consoles are for kids and teens. PC is where the adults play.

God you "high horse" PC gamers are such asses.

You think because you have a good PC it makes your games better and you elite. WRONG

I own three pretty decent PCs and all the major consoles and play and enjoy all. This stupid attitude some of you have is ridiculous. I will begin playing Half-Life 2 tonight and I am sure it will be a great game, but to say I bet it rocks Halo 2 is just dumb. Halo 2 is easily one of the best three games I have ever played and this goes back to the 2600 days. In my eyes Half-Life 2 could only hope to equal Halo 2 at best, because I simply cannot imagine it being better or PWNING it as you pasty nerds say. I can already tell you
CS:Source isn't even close to Halo 2 online.

Maybe one day you will wake up and realize other good games exist and that you do not have to spend $1500 and wait six years to play them. But hey, if it makes you feel better or less child-like for playing video games on a PC then good for you, just know games are games.

aw h*ll. that sux majorly. guess i'll try and get another $350 at some point so i can buy it and an X800XT to play it on...

BTW: Father didn't fall out of his chair entirely, but he did have to pick his jaw up off the floor. For a professional graphic artist, that's pretty impressive. I myself needed a seatbelt. Those graphics are incredible.

[Fate]Doom said:
I will begin playing Half-Life 2 tonight and I am sure it will be a great game, but to say I bet it rocks Halo 2 is just dumb. Halo 2 is easily one of the best three games I have ever played and this goes back to the 2600 days. In my eyes Half-Life 2 could only hope to equal Halo 2 at best, because I simply cannot imagine it being better or PWNING it as you pasty nerds say.

be interesting to see what he says tonight... bet he eats his words. i've seen some pretty incredible graphics in my life... but nothing like these.

Back