Half Life 2. First 10 Minute impression

You didn't turn down a particular alley with a Combine troop carrier parked inside. :)

I saw it. I unno...maybe it's not in easy.

Tiny said:
Woah!!! Wait a minute....I played for an hour and have yet to see a Strider! Where did I go wrong!!!!

*SPOILER*

There is one in the very beginning.(thats all I want to say, I hate spoiling things for people)

superthrawn said:
You didn't turn down a particular alley with a Combine troop carrier parked inside. :)

I saw it. I unno...maybe it's not in easy.

I saw it too...

BlackEnigma said:
me 3....what a kickass game omfg...im shaking, hungry, have had to crap for hours, and i want more

rofl dude that really made me laugh... thats something I would say!! Oh and I just woke up to play. I was going to get up 2 hours ago when it was initially unlocked, but Im sick with a nasty cold and sore throat and kept sleeping.

All the files are unlocked, and well... here I go !!

Ill report back after Im done playing some :D

edit: if I could even get into the game... I keep getting a memory can't be "read" error... how lovely.... :(

I just logged three good hours. Class and work tomorrow though...Im telling you what though.. Tomorrow is a 'Boss, I think im ganna puke, do you still want me to come in today'? day!

Gah I wont be able to sleep.

I think I made the mistake the leave it on easy...I havnt died yet and im in the airboat mission. Some of the puzzles were tricky...I got pissed once or twice but finally figured it out.

Worth the wait IMHO. Oh and it runs pretty darn good on my 5700 Ultra by eVGA. Man and to think I was going to wait til 10AM today to get a hard copy. Screw that! Ill make my own CD and cool lookin label!

well i'm going to have to be drunk off my ass to ever play doom 3 again after the amazing variety of half life 2. most of doom had the same goddamn textures used over and over(or so similar it may as well be the same damn thing). not to mention the level design i've seen so far is far more satisfying in hl2. somebody posted a link to those screens a few posts up. this part here i remember quite well. PIC there is just no describing the beauty of that water @1600x1200 with all the the eye candy up high. it is simply unreal. it's been one helluva ride so far. i can't wait for more. yippeeee!! i played through it on teamspeak with a clanmate and all we could hear for 3 hours was, "whoa!" and "holy shit!" lol. game of the year easy. for all those that thought it's visuals didn't look impressive anymore after the delay can suck it. it is goddamn gorgeous.

I'm stuck guys. I'm at the part where you hop on that train and then climb the ladder on the other side of the wall. You go into that two room house/shack...Where the hell do I go from here? :confused:

well Im too tired to figure out why Im getting a memory error before I even see the main screen... CS: source and every other steam game runs perfectly, with no problems... Farcry, Doom 3, Halo, UT2004, NFSU 2 all work fine as well... in fact, every game I own I can get into or at least safe mode to find solutions to my errors...

After changing video drivers, closing processes, changing memory allocation, running memtest ( with no problems ) I cannot find the problem. Just this "0x00000xx" memory in "0xp09d0s9d" ( or something ) cannot be "read".

I checked out steam support and their solution to this problem is pretty brutal, by suggesting I basically do EVERYTHING.. sound, bios, video, router, every fuckin driver etc etc etc... so steam in no fuckin help..

Sooo fuck it, I deleted all local HL2 game content and Im in the process of downloading the entire fuckin game again.. I guess getting up in the middle of the night was bad luck for me... bah... everyone else's HL2 works fine, wtf doesn't mine....

back to bed..

edit: wow awesome only 260 minutes before I can play! ............................ :mad:

WOW.... Outstanding. Ya know when you jump in your suit and you hear that old music and all you can say is "OH YEA BABY". I'm blown away. Already worth 60 bucks. Only thing... I feel like a damn circus clown with all the hoops I had to jump through to install the game. 5 cds's. register with steam. update steam. register the game. unlock the game....almost an hour later and I got to actualy play the game I PAID for. Still worth all that. It looks like the bar has been raised again. Everyone had high hopes for doom 3 and and alot of people were disapointed. I cant see anyone who can say they feel the same about this game. Proof that PC gaming is where its at. Consoles are for kids and teens. PC is where the adults play.

I think its safe to say most definitely. Althought I havnt played Halo 2 yet, not sure I want to.

[H]RedDog said:
WOW.... Outstanding. Ya know when you jump in your suit and you hear that old music and all you can say is "OH YEA BABY". I'm blown away. Already worth 60 bucks. Only thing... I feel like a damn circus clown with all the hoops I had to jump through to install the game. 5 cds's. register with steam. update steam. register the game. unlock the game....almost an hour later and I got to actualy play the game I PAID for. Still worth all that. It looks like the bar has been raised again. Everyone had high hopes for doom 3 and and alot of people were disapointed. I cant see anyone who can say they feel the same about this game. Proof that PC gaming is where its at. Consoles are for kids and teens. PC is where the adults play.

DAMN RIGHT!!

C'mon, this thing takes FOREVER and and lifetime to unlock. Wish it would have pre-unlocked!

edit: Whoa! It's got a 16:9 setting! Will have to try it on the HDTV! :D

Damn all of you... You make me salivate and want to skip work just to play. Too bad i'm still in the process of downloading HL2 because i decided to buy the silver package this morning only. At least, it seems my decision will be a good one :)

Maximus825 said:
So no one else is bored yet? I swear the story is almost non-existant.

**Possible Spoiler**
Basically "Spend 2 hours getting to Eli's Lab, and I'll talk to you there." I mean, seriously, I've been driving this airboat for a good half the time, and I'm bored stiff. It goes like this: Drive airboat, oops, the way is blocked, how do I get around this, a) take a jump, b) get out and go through a building to open a gate. Drive airboat somemore....

I was getting into it too. It felt immersive, but then it felt redundant, and then it felt boring.

I know! The airboat part took me like 2 hours...boring as hell. and then finally it picks up again.

Vildayyan2003 said:
Doom3 = Huge Piece of Shit!
Farcry = Decent Shit!

Half Life 2 = Oh My God! This is SO fuggin' fun to play, look at, and experience. Best Ever? We'll have to wait a bit longer on that one but definately the best game of the year BY FAR!

*agrees* HL2 kicks Doom3's ass...and then spits on it's grave like a clint Eastwood movie... :D

Far Cry is an awesome game for online fragging, I hope after I am done with sp in HL2 someone will have a mod out where you can play DM with the in game weapons...someone will...it's just a matter of time...

Has anyone played in on a sub-par, to average system. Lets say lower than 2.0GHZ or lower than a 9800pro. I want to know how to plays on the average users computer. At any res.

Holy crap, you guys are making me salivate! I can't wait to pick this up after school...but then I have to go to work =/

Oh well, guess I won't be going to sleep tonight...

No way, HL2 sucks. I played this game and I gotta say the graphics and multiplayer are the crap. Move on to the next one. I can't believe I wasted my money on this.

LMAO Just kidding. I am sure its a bad ass game. I haven't even gotten it yet, I am at work. But this is what you tards who talk trash about Halo2 and dont even own an XBox sound like. :rolleyes:

Some people cant admit to having more than one GREAT game out at a time. Maybe Halo 2 and HL2 and Doom 3 and FarCry are all kick ass games?

Eh, FarCry was too buggy. It was pretty, but not worth a purchase. But I digress, we all know what's really important:

OGM WTF HL2 PRZ KTHXBYE LOLZ!!!!!11!!1one!!!111eight!!!!111

/script kiddie

I say from here on out never compare D3 to HL2 again. There really is no comparison. D3 being an engine demo and all. HL2 is... dare I say... an actual game so well done I could cry. Off to work now. DAMN JOB!!!

:D

....bleh with you.... Farcry was fucking sick. HL2 is preloaded and waiting for me to get home. Looking forward to it.

tacomaboy said:
No way, HL2 sucks. I played this game and I gotta say the graphics and multiplayer are the crap. Move on to the next one. I can't believe I wasted my money on this.

LMAO Just kidding. I am sure its a bad ass game. I haven't even gotten it yet, I am at work. But this is what you tards who talk trash about Halo2 and dont even own an XBox sound like. :rolleyes:

Well I played Halo and Halo 2 and I'm still 10x more impressed with HL2. Consoles are good for Donkey Kong and similar games though.

dammit, dammit, dammit, ok guys, what do you think, i need a opinion asap, go and get hl2 cd version for 59.99 or dvd for 99.99?
lemme know ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why did I do it? I shouldn't have, now I am in for 8 hours of torture until I get back to my beloved computer. I . . . I . . . played it for 10 minutes, but I had to go to work. It would have been better not to know. After seeing the load screen and the menu screen I was like, PLEASE sweet god suspend time for just 30 minutes more so I can enjoy this rapture just a bit more. Now I can but sit at my desk and mope. Please G-Man let me back, I want to go back and smell the ashes!

Well I did not like Doom3 too much, the darkness ruined it (not the bands bault though).

But as for console vs. PC thats another debate. But I prefer a console on my 57" HDTV with 5.1Digital surround to my 17" flat panel any time. And connecting the PC to the TV is way too much of a pain in the ass. Console = nice and clean, controller takes some getting used to, but once you learn how to do it, its great, and considering everyone you play against has one as well, the playing field is level.

I am sure HL2 is an awesome game, the screens look great! I can't wait to try it out on my PC. But you can't knock Halo2, ESPECIALLY if you haven't played it. And you really can't knock Doom 3 too much. Maybe it wasn't fun, but it sure as hell was impressive!

These developers work their asses off to produce these things, and I doubt many people can write a decent sorting program much less a game. I guess it kind of ticks me off to hear random developer bashing like this (unless its directed at Microsoft).

Hell, how long ago was it I was playing Duke Nukem? I can't believe how far we have come, and how much we complain... in 1 year, people will be making so much fun of HL2.

Can my system run it with decent fps at 1024x768?

Abit IC7-MAX3
P4 3.0 @ 3.3
AIW 9800pro w/ VGA silencer
1 GB Kingston Hyperx

independantvariable said:
Has anyone played in on a sub-par, to average system. Lets say lower than 2.0GHZ or lower than a 9800pro. I want to know how to plays on the average users computer. At any res.

1024X768 On my system specs below, it just "FRIKKIN ROCKS HARDCORE OMFG"

That's a pretty substantial statement coming from a 40 year old.

Along with the awesome gameplay, this really created a great place for Valve in my heart. To hell with the 9.2 review at gamestop this is as close to a 10 as I have ever seen in my life. The graphics are resplendent and yet it runs so incredibly well on my rig. This has GAME OF THE YEAR tied up.

I got up yesterday at 5:00am PST stayed up to activate my copy at midnight and play a little (at least see the first chapter) I look up after getting to chapter 6 and it's 4:00 frigging o'clock in the morning. Get a fork I'm pwned.

screw it, cd version, i dont care, its still the same game, gotta go get it now now now now ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Defective said:
Why did I do it? I shouldn't have, now I am in for 8 hours of torture until I get back to my beloved computer. I . . . I . . . played it for 10 minutes, but I had to go to work. It would have been better not to know. After seeing the load screen and the menu screen I was like, PLEASE sweet god suspend time for just 30 minutes more so I can enjoy this rapture just a bit more. Now I can but sit at my desk and mope. Please G-Man let me back, I want to go back and smell the ashes!
Fool!

Taco: I've played Halo 2, so I suppose I am allowed to judge it. In my opinion, they ruined a nearly perfect game. The multiplayer is nowhere near as good as it used to be. =/

Pendragon said:
Fool!

Taco: I've played Halo 2, so I suppose I am allowed to judge it. In my opinion, they ruined a nearly perfect game. The multiplayer is nowhere near as good as it used to be. =/

How long did you play it for? How can they have ruined multiplayer for Halo? Before it was ONLY console to console and now its MUCH MUCH more!

If you have played it, at least you have a leg to stand on, but still, I honestly don't see how you can justify saying its worse than Halo 1.

Back