Half Life 2: Episode Three?

[Tripod]MajorPayne;1032042448 said:
I thought Lost Coast demo introduced HDR to the Source Engine? Wasn't that their big reason for releasing that?

Yeah, they added HDR(well, the SM2 version without full precision, but at least it's something), but that's really the only somewhat advanced capability the engine has. It's true that the main draw of the HL series is the story and the gameplay, but there are other games out there which provide that and good graphics at the same time, and I see no reason why Valve shouldn't be able to get their ass in gear and come out with some engine tech that can match up to the rest of the game.

Ehh. Valve has a hard enough time as it is getting games out in a timely manner. Immagine if they needed a new game engine every time too. Really, I don't think it was any mystery back when HL2 came out that the source engine will be around for years and years. It's not a new trend by any means. Every smart game dev uses an engine that has staying power. One of the hottest games this year uses a 10 year old engine (Quake 3 engine for COD4). The source engine isn't being engineered by fools. And ID software is certainly not a bunch of fools. I like gameplay. You give me that. F' the graphics.

CoD4 doesn't run on the Quake 3 engine by a long shot. It uses a vastly improved version of the CoD2 engine, which recycled a bit of code from the Q3 engine. To say that is like saying HL2 runs on the original Quake engine, since Source uses some code from the Quake engine that the original Half-Life ran on. And like I said in my previous post, I like gameplay and graphics. Lots of other game devs have been able to give me that, so I don't see why Valve wouldn't be able to as well.

All I'm saying is it's the nature of the beast. COD franchise began is life on the quake 3 engine, and since has been derived from that. Yeah, you'd probably have a hard time comparing COD1 to COD4 on every level. But there is still some fundamental likenesses. In much the same way, the source engine is being added on to and developed to do more and more.

Now, what happens after EP3, who knows. With a whole new story arc, maybe then we're looking at some major overhauls. I would expect the source engine to be the mainstay. But, I would also expect that they will look into doing major modifications to bring in both better graphics and some new interactive mechanic to enrich the game play side as well.

Well, read all of this thread, and it was not a bad read.

Hmmm - since this thread suddenly went from talking about release dates to Source discussion. Here's my $0.02...

Personally, I think that delays are a good thing, and many of you probably think that too, somewhere deep down... :p If it takes a while for E3 then yeah - that's alright, because then it will be guaranteed to be almost perfect as far as level design and story telling go. As for the Source engine - well I personally like it. Sure it's not in the same league as the CryEngine 2, but it sure is good. I don't know it just seems like Source is part of the HL2 universe.

CoD4 is to CoD1 what HL2: ep 2 is to Half Life 1

derived from the same engines, but almost totally rebuilt

Would not take it that far, and besides CoD1 was much more enjoyable when i played through it for the first time.

Err, correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't HL1 build on a Quake ( 2 I think ) engine and source a complete new-build engine?

Like I said, I could be wrong.

Now go play Half-life

werd.

IMO, no one should play any of the episodes without playing the original half life first:D

i still think its the best game out of the series, graphics notwithstanding

Err, correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't HL1 build on a Quake ( 2 I think ) engine and source a complete new-build engine?

Like I said, I could be wrong.

You're correct. Source has absolutely nothing in common with the Q2 engine. It was build entirely from the ground up.

Actually HL 1 was built using a "HEAVILY MODIFIED" Quake 1 engine. I remember seeing the orginal HL1 box art and thought the game was going to be just another Quake knock off. Aw the good old times when I was a wee dipshit........

It'll come out either 2008 or early 2009. The episodes don't take long to make.

I just hope this episode doesn't consist of Alyx crying all the time (play Ep. 2) and Gordon getting her a cup of tea and those little round biscuits you sometimes see.

For Valve they DO take long to make...
Their definition of episodic content is the joke of the industry. Episode 3 won't be released this year, that's for sure. I'm betting on Q2 2009, but the holiday season of 2009 also seems plausible.

You're correct. Source has absolutely nothing in common with the Q2 engine. It was build entirely from the ground up.

When HL2 was leaked, it was claimed that there were still large chunks of the GoldSrc engine being used. That may be less true now.

Personally I did check out the leaked HL2, and the flashlight effect was definitely from GoldSrc, so while not conclusive I think it's strong evidence.

TOO MUCH ALYX. I'm sure I could find my way around a map just fine if Alyx wasn't there to explain things to me. If they'd start leaving a few things unexplained, perhaps I would be more interested to replay.

I was really hoping that she was really dead in EP2. That would perhaps refresh the players inspiration for vindication! Maybe we'll get lucky and EP3 will begin with a darker turn having Alyx offing herself out of depression following the devastating loss of her father. At which point, Gordon will stop having headaches induced by the sound of the droning female voice, and will also stop seeing the g-man in his dreams talking about Alyx. Then Gordon can go find a new broad who isn't so chatty. Dog's cool though. You know, a mans best friend......who hasn't said dick up to this point.

I'm sorry, I'm just making stuff up at this point. I'm turning Half life into Married with Children.
I could not agree with you more!!! Alyx is just god awful and serves absolutely no purpose other than to annoy the hell out of me!

I could not agree with you more!!! Alyx is just god awful and serves absolutely no purpose other than to annoy the hell out of me!

I kinda like fighting besides someone, and I don't feel that she's too anyoing but she doesn't feel very tough, if I'm fighting besides someone I want times when you're badly pinned down and they have to pull you out of it, rather than just the other way around, and not just hitting some switch or getting on a mounted machine gun but actually diving around blasting the crap out of stuff, someone who has got your back, rather than a hand you need to constantly hold, because that's just a burden.

I kinda like fighting besides someone, and I don't feel that she's too anyoing but she doesn't feel very tough, if I'm fighting besides someone I want times when you're badly pinned down and they have to pull you out of it, rather than just the other way around, and not just hitting some switch or getting on a mounted machine gun but actually diving around blasting the crap out of stuff, someone who has got your back, rather than a hand you need to constantly hold, because that's just a burden.
Barney!!! Now, THAT'S the guy to watch your back while you take on the Combine!

Barney!!! Now, THAT'S the guy to watch your back while you take on the Combine!

Yeah, I missed Barney in Ep2. Although, I'm more anxious for Gordon to finally meet Adrian face-to-face (wishes :D).

Back