Half Life 2: Episode Three?

[Tripod]MajorPayne

Supreme [H]ardness
Hopefully I didn't make anyone freak out, thinking I had definitive information about this game.

I just got done playing through all the portions of the Orange Box (I never played HL2 before, I wasn't old enough to buy M rated games when it came out), and I absolutely fell in love with Half Life 2 and both expansions, even though they're all 3+ years old. I, naturally, went looking for info about the 3rd and last expansion. Does anyone have any speculation about when it'll be released or any other general info about it?

One of the only websites I could find had an interview with Valve staff that stated there was no release date set yet, and that the HL2 saga wouldn't be the end of the Half-Life franchise...

When's Episode Three coming out?!?!

[Tripod]MajorPayne;1032010770 said:
When's Episode Three coming out?!?!

Six months after the initial release date. :p

I wouldn't expect to see it this year. I'm guessing we'll hear more about it within the next 6 months, and 6+ months after that, it'll probably be out. I'm guessing Feb-Apr 2009.

2009 at the earliest. Google Valve Time for an explanation of how to interpret their release dates (once they announce one) ;).

I'll say Winter 2008.
A lot of time spent on Episode Two was adding new technology like the "cinematic physics" and dynamic shadows, as well as support for larger environments. Episode Three shouldn't take too long. I remember hearing something about there being two teams working on the episodes: one worked on Episode One while the other worked on Episode Two; it would be logical to assume that both teams are now working together on Episode Three.

I'll say Winter 2008.
A lot of time spent on Episode Two was adding new technology like the "cinematic physics" and dynamic shadows, as well as support for larger environments. Episode Three shouldn't take too long. I remember hearing something about there being two teams working on the episodes: one worked on Episode One while the other worked on Episode Two; it would be logical to assume that both teams are now working together on Episode Three.

You would think so, but even when Episode 1 came out, they immediately showed a trailier on Episode 2 after you beat Episode 1, if my memory is correct. Even if it wasnt immediately after you beat it, I know it material on Episode 2 was showed off very shortly after the release.

There hasnt been any news on Episode 3 for a long time, and there has yet to be any screenshots and trailers on it. So either Valve has learned and is going to show off screenshots and videos on it when its done, so they stop teasing us with Episode 3, or they are far away from a release.

I'm betting on The *Insert color here* Box with Episode 3 & Left for Dead at the end of the year.

There hasnt been any news on Episode 3 for a long time, and there has yet to be any screenshots and trailers on it. So either Valve has learned and is going to show off screenshots and videos on it when its done, so they stop teasing us with Episode 3, or they are far away from a release.

I think Valve addressed this in the commentary mode in Episode 2. They said they didn't want to show an Episode 3 trailer at the end because the trailer for Episode 2 at the end of Episode 1 turned out to be completely different from the final game.

I'm betting on The *Insert color here* Box with Episode 3 & Left for Dead at the end of the year.

I think Valve addressed this in the commentary mode in Episode 2. They said they didn't want to show an Episode 3 trailer at the end because the trailer for Episode 2 at the end of Episode 1 turned out to be completely different from the final game.
Agreed on all of the above.

I'd say in about a year. It's been in development simultaneously with the other episodes.

Bundled with Left 4 Dead would be quite magnificent but I want it sooner than that

Something like "The Blue Box" with episode 3, left 4 dead, and portal 2 would be nice.

Something like "The Blue Box" with episode 3, left 4 dead, and portal 2 would be nice.

How bout "The Blue Balls" with a marketing tag line of something like "We made you wait sooooo long for your happy ending"

***Hidden sex scene with alyx :D (Hey, maybe she'll finally STFU)

don't forget about episode 4. it's not being developed by Valve (they're getting Gearbox to do it, I think), but I _think_ that it's supposed to be canon to the storyline.

don't forget about episode 4. it's not being developed by Valve (they're getting Gearbox to do it, I think), but I _think_ that it's supposed to be canon to the storyline.
Episode 4???? That's new to me. Gearbox developed the HL:1 expansion Opposing Force which introduced Cpl. Adrian Sheperd. Excellent game!

Episode 4???? That's new to me. Gearbox developed the HL:1 expansion Opposing Force which introduced Cpl. Adrian Sheperd. Excellent game!

Doug Lombardi talked about it a while back. I believe that HalfLife2.net still has the transcript. Essentially, Episode 3 will wrap up this story arc (Eps 1-3) which essentially go together to make what Valve internally refers to as Half-Life 3. Episode 4 is supposed to kick off a new story arc.

If Valve hands off development of the HL series to any other dev after episode 3, then I expect that means they are making way for some new A+ title they have in the works??? I'm just making theories. I really couldn't imagine Valve without a flagship Half-Life based product. But, every franchise has it's beginning and it's end. For right now, I can't get enough HL.

Though, I have to admit that the amount of narration is getting ridiculous. HL2 was a great game with an amazing story line. EP1 was extremely fun with the core and all the mayhem in the citadel. But, it was the beginning of having TOO MUCH ALYX. I'm sure I could find my way around a map just fine if Alyx wasn't there to explain things to me. If they'd start leaving a few things unexplained, perhaps I would be more interested to replay.

I was really hoping that she was really dead in EP2. That would perhaps refresh the players inspiration for vindication! Maybe we'll get lucky and EP3 will begin with a darker turn having Alyx offing herself out of depression following the devastating loss of her father. At which point, Gordon will stop having headaches induced by the sound of the droning female voice, and will also stop seeing the g-man in his dreams talking about Alyx. Then Gordon can go find a new broad who isn't so chatty. Dog's cool though. You know, a mans best friend......who hasn't said dick up to this point.

I'm sorry, I'm just making stuff up at this point. I'm turning Half life into Married with Children.

And maybe port HL: Decay over with a Source iteration as well. Maybe we'll see Adrian Shepard in Episode 3; he got taken like Freeman did, so it's at least possible.

[UPS] Sorce;1032030649 said:
And maybe port HL: Decay over with a Source iteration as well. Maybe we'll see Adrian Shepard in Episode 3; he got taken like Freeman did, so it's at least possible.

I don't know about Episode 3. However, Gabe has gone on record as saying they got "something special" planned for Mr. Shepard. In fact, they made an inside-joke to Adrian Shepard in Portal.

Wait, they did? Where? :eek:

When you escape the test labs and get into the "behind the scenes stuff", take a look at the computer keyboards. Certain keys are yellow and together they spell out something 'special'. ;)

Some had thought that Shephard might be the protagonist for Valve's game Portal due to the main weapon, the Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device (ASHPD), bearing the initials A.S.H.P.D. - Adrian Shephard. However, Gabe Newell remarked that this was a 'total freak coincidence' and that Shephard would not appear in the game.[3] This turned out to be true, as the only human character in Portal was Chell. It is interesting to note that, on completion of Portal, the main background screen changes to reveal, among other notable things, a keyboard with the letters A, D, R, I, N, S, H, E, and P highlighted. These are all of the letters that comprise Corporal Shephard's name.
The above is from the Adrian Shepard wikipedia page.

Wikipedia is so good about stuff like that. Makes me feel so much better that it tells me when, where, and how to get to easter eggs like that, instead of having to play back through over and over again. Maybe I'm just a spoilsport in that respect. :p

Portal was really good. I just beat that game, too.

Still want Episode Three to come out.

To all those who didn't like Alyx: I don't understand that. I thought that the storyline was just as integral as the gameplay, and that Alyx's increasing involvement sort of mirrored her growing relationship with Gordon. Plus, every time something explodes and buries Gordon in a pile of twisted metal, Alyx comes and gets him out. That's devotion.

[Tripod]MajorPayne;1032031636 said:
To all those who didn't like Alyx: I don't understand that. I thought that the storyline was just as integral as the gameplay, and that Alyx's increasing involvement sort of mirrored her growing relationship with Gordon. Plus, every time something explodes and buries Gordon in a pile of twisted metal, Alyx comes and gets him out. That's devotion.

I would echo this except that I'm starting to feel that Alyx's long monologues are taking aware from the time that I have in-game.

On a related note, did anyone feel like Cloverfield stole pacing right out of Valve's playbook?

cloverfield: Exposition => Running => Dialogue Explaining Scenario => Fight Baddy => Logic Puzzle => fight Baddy => Fight baddy => Exposition => Running Sequence => Logic Puzzle => Fight Baddy => Exposition => climax => Cliffhanger surprise

I have a digital crush on Alyx, but I did feel like things were getting to be a little contrived in Ep 2. I mean, it was always "Gordon can you...?" with her. The same with the hero worship from everyone you meet, although they did poke fun at that with the two guys you meet at the elevator. "Everything was fine until you showed up." :p

I started Episode 2 last night again......
I just really like the HL series......great polish.....good game play.....even the third or fourth thime its still good and enjoyable.:D

Cant wait for Episode 3. Hopefully sooner than 18 months.

half life series is only game ive cheated on

sv_cheats 1
bind your mouse wheel down to "impulse 101"

and run thru map

That's pretty crazy. That game is soooo easy. They have like one BIG battle sequence in each title. Other than that, it's a walk through the park.

This is the best explanation I've ever seen of Valve's release schedule:

concerned000.jpg

By the way, if you haven't read it, check out Concerned. It's a comic based in the HL2 universe about a guy named Gordon Frohman. Frickin awesome! :p

http://www.hlcomic.com/index.php?date=2005-05-01

It'll come out either 2008 or early 2009. The episodes don't take long to make.

I just hope this episode doesn't consist of Alyx crying all the time (play Ep. 2) and Gordon getting her a cup of tea and those little round biscuits you sometimes see.

Post your source please?

They are still improving on it...did you see the graphics of HL-2...amazing.

And besides it runs smooth as warm butter

The Source engine looks pretty outdated, even with all of Valve's fancy shader tricks. It's also still technically inferior to other modern engines, and lacks things like parallax mapping and real dynamic lighting(allowing for a single dynamic light per scene like in Ep2 doesn't count). Focusing on gameplay and story is working for them now, but they'll have to step up and provide the technology to go with it as well.

I thought Lost Coast demo introduced HDR to the Source Engine? Wasn't that their big reason for releasing that?

Anyway, I don't care if it's still Source-based. I just loved the gameplay, the storyline, and even the physics so much that I'd still play it. Having an older engine just makes it that much more rewarding to crank the settings with new hardware. I realize it's not shiny and perfect, but the gameplay and story really take the cake for me. It doesn't have to be all graphics.

[Tripod]MajorPayne;1032042448 said:
I thought Lost Coast demo introduced HDR to the Source Engine? Wasn't that their big reason for releasing that?

Anyway, I don't care if it's still Source-based. I just loved the gameplay, the storyline, and even the physics so much that I'd still play it. Having an older engine just makes it that much more rewarding to crank the settings with new hardware. I realize it's not shiny and perfect, but the gameplay and story really take the cake for me. It doesn't have to be all graphics.
Exactly. The story in Half-Life is the fun part, being able to max the visuals on my laptop is just a bonus.

Back