Half-Life 2/ATI -- SM 3.0

zapian_

Weaksauce
I read this somewhere but couldn't remember where (well-known hardware website). Theyre saying HL2 will be able to support SM 3.0 with a patch, just like Farcry. But Valve will not release this patch 'til the new ATI card that supports SM 3.0 comes out. Can someone confirm this?

Im planning to get another card and eyeing X800pro/XT at the moment but i heard R480 is due out very soon. Will it support sm3?

From what I've heard it will not support SM 3.0. However the details about this new card are mostly hypothetical at this point. Nobody has enough info to support or deny such a claim. (Spoken Like a True Politician} :D

if we're talking R480 i wouldnt hold my breath on it supporting SM3.0 as ATi's track record on including features on its cards are more than just "checklist items" the 8500 for example supports PS1.4 and runs it quite well(i should know i had one :p) 9700 is another perfect example of this. SM2.0 support and kicked some serious ass while in the process.(this card i never had, but i DID have a 9500Pro <3 that card) so in short they dont put out a feature in the middle of a product line like what R480 is going to be, just basically a speed bump, for lack of a better term, and a move to a smaller process. i wouldnt look for HL2 to support SM3.0 until, like you said, ATi has a card out that runs it at an acceptable speed.

my 2 cents

B1zz said:
maybe ATi likes it kinky? they ARE canadian you know
I once dated a canadian girl..... :D

Anyways......

The R500 is suppose to be adding SM3.0 support but any info out there is most just rumors. Either way I would have to agree with B1zz when it comes to R480.

I have heard that HL2 is suppose to support SM3.0 later on via a patch, I know that Vampire: The Masquerade will support it. ;)

iownyou14 said:
ATI -> Valve
Nvidia -> id Software

Nvidia -> every cheesy developer willing to put a logo in their game

Not so sure I would put id in there with them, not that ATi isn't trying to same thing with developers now as well. The entire situation annoys me, like we need any more things bogging down the gaming industry. You can never tell exactly how deep the poison has spread either, be it just the logo or something a whole lot worse.

Is it just me or is Nvidia vs Ati turning into Psx vs Xbox in that order :p ... " i know that xbox uses Nvidia right now but the Xbox 2 will be using Ati" .. Best decision Microsoft made since ... don't hold ur breath

In time each will support certain games and in time u can probably have more than 1 video card in the computer. I won't be surprised if that happens in the next 3 years

HL2 will support SM3.0 as well as other technologies from both companies. However, Source is generally a fill-rate limited engine, and as such clock rates alone (especially core) will be the biggest factor on performance. ATI has put at least $8 million into VALVe for this title, but Source remains an equal opportunity engine in order to offer the most to licensees.

Regardless, the R480 will not support SM3.0. It will be analogous to the 9800 Pro -> XT generation half-step, with slightly higher clocks and improved shader performance. The R520, to be launched in April 2005, will support SM3.0 and DX9.0c fully.

Back