HAL.DLL missing, trying to multiboot 98/XP.

Ghettoraid

[H]F Junkie
Well I'm working on a customers computer, the order was originally to simply upgrade from 98 to XP but as we do not HAVE a full version of XP, we cannot upgrade (only allows us to install to a separate directory) .. [which I did.] I then modified boot.ini so that it would display before booting either OS. I try to boot 98, and it dies. Says hal.dll is corrupted or missing. Which it is, because hal.dll does not exist on 98.

Again, I did not repartition, I'm not allowed to lose the data on this drive. I simply installed XP to C:\WINXP... There doesnt seem to be any documentation I can find regarding this issue through google... so I have to ask here! Hep! I want to go home!! long f'n day!!

lol

<edit> my ghetto quick fix idea was to simply transfer all the documents and install new copies of the software the customer had on his 98 install, giving it the appearance of a complete upgrade... but that would be a pain in the ass and not much of a "quick" fix...

Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXP
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXP="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 98" /fastdetect

thats what my boot.ini looks like right now

Well... if you're charging people to fix computers, you should know how install XP without breaking things & be using a real copy of XP. That and you posted fairly late on a Friday night.

Originally posted by ameoba
Well... if you're charging people to fix computers, you should know how install XP without breaking things & be using a real copy of XP. That and you posted fairly late on a Friday night.

Wasn't my call, boss wanted to save the customer some money and gave me this OEM copy to put on it... Myself/coworker knew it wouldn't upgrade... but anyway... now the 98 install is corrupted. hoo-ray.

Will prob just move the guys files over + restore as many of the programs he had as possible

Back