hal.dll error but with a twist...

Stroker

Limp Gawd
I bought an Acer Aspire One netbook the other day intentionally with linux so it was cheaper, with the intent on installing my own Windows XP on it. To do this I had to make a bootable USB drive with XP on it. Simple enough. But no matter what I do I always get a hal.dll error trying to boot up after the install. Normally this is just a boot.ini problem but I read guides and played with that extensively to no avail. The OS is on C so I don't know why it is giving me this. I tried different XP installs and tried rebuilding the with bootcfg in the repair console and tried making my boot ini look like this:
[Boot Loader]
Timeout=20
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[Operating Systems]
C:\btsec\XPSTP.bs="1. Begin TXT Mode Setup Windows XP, Never unplug USB-Drive Until Logon"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Continue GUI Setup + Start XP from HD 0 - Part 1" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Continue GUI Setup + Start XP from HD 1 - Part 1" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Continue GUI Setup + Start XP from HD 1 - Part 2" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Continue GUI Setup + Start XP from HD 1 - Part 3" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Continue GUI Setup + Start XP from HD 2 - Part 1" /FASTDETECT

I tried all the partitions but nothing is working and I'm getting pretty frustrated.

Does anyone know what's going on with this? I would be greatly appreciate some help if anyone can. Thanks in advance!

Is this booting from the USB drive you did this? Or is this after txtmode setup?

What are you attempting to do?

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

I am trying to install Windows XP on my Netbook (No Disc Drive) via a USB stick. This is after textmode setup that this happens. Windows gets done installing and then upon first reboot it gives me the hal.dll is missing or corrupt please re-install the file.

Back