Hades Canyon NUC - Kaby Lake with Vega GPU

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by deruberhanyok, Jan 9, 2018.

1. deruberhanyok

deruberhanyok [H]ard|Gawd

Didn't see a thread about this yet so wanted to start one. Intel's successor to the Skull Canyon NUC:

http://nucblog.net/2018/01/released-hades-canyon-nuc-is-the-most-powerful-nuc-ever/
    https://techreport.com/review/33042...ors-with-radeon-rx-vega-m-graphics-revealed/4
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/ces-2018-intel-unveils-hades-canyon-nuc-vr-mini-pc/
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/1222...s-are-official-799999-shipping-in-spring-2018

Preorders at Simply NUC, I think they're using a placeholder date of "March 31" on their site:

https://www.simplynuc.com/hades-canyon/

Two models:

NUC8i7HVK, $999, with i7-8809G (4C/8T, 3.1GHz base, 4.2GHz turbo, unlocked) and Radeon RX Vega M GH (24 CUs, 64PPC, 4GB HBM2, ~200GB/s bandwidth) 100W package TDP

NUC8i7HNK, $799, with i7-8705G (4C/8T, 3.1GHz base, 4.1GHz turbo) and Radeon RX Vega M GL (20 CUs, 32 PPC 4GB HBM2, ~180GB/s bandwidth) 65W package TDP

lots of IO (2x USB-C thunderbolt 3.0, 7USB ports, dual mDP outputs, dual HDMI 2.0b (one front), two NICs, 8265 wifi-ac, 2x m.2 slots for SSDs and support for DDR4-2400 (couldn't find anything about higher mem clocks on the unlocked version).

Of other potential interest: a little bigger than the Skull Canyon system but with more capable cooling, so given the extra TDP I'm hoping maybe similar noise footprint to the Skull Canyon system for the 65W version here. Maybe better?

65W one could make for a really nice living room PC, 1080p gaming should be easy for it, it's got the chops to play back HDR, 4k stuff, plenty of connectivity for additional storage, etc.

One thing I'm not thrilled about is the price, with the NUCs it keeps going up and up, to the point where you could easily build a more capable system for less than the cost of the barebones box now, even keeping it fairly small (Sugo case or similar). Adding OS, RAM and an SSD to the "cheap" version gets base price close to $1000.

Anyways, they're reported to be launching in Q2, with the 65W version first and the 100W version to follow.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018 at 10:44 AM
    Ocellaris likes this.
  2. St1X

St1X [H]Lite

I have a 100Watt SKU, it's an amazing little beast, but I haven't used it much. It can play a lot of modern games at 60 FPS on high settings and that is, god damn, impressive!
    I am not sure how much I can talk about it, though

3. Kaos_Drem

Kaos_Drem Gawd

Just remember that intel doesn't set the price on the NUC products. The distributors do, the price is a suggest retail but it can often fall quite a bit based on demand/supply.

4. deruberhanyok

St1X that's awesome! 1080p I'm assuming? I feel like this is a great form factor and is really the killer setup for a "steam box". But the price puts it way out of range of anyone cross-shopping with a console.

If you can't talk about it that's cool, but if you can provide any kind of impression, how would you rate the noise compared to, say, the Skull Canyon NUC?

Kaos_Drem yeah, hoping we'll see some good discounts on this eventually.

5. St1X

St1X [H]Lite

Yes, 1080p.

Can't say anything objective about noise yet, I have it at my work and I am sitting in the corner with ~20 computers for 4 people, most of them working simultaneously :)
    But some times I can hear it's fan spining faster, giving you this laptop like noise experience. But if you are gaming, you will either use headphones or speakers, so that sound wouldn't bother you.
    I am pretty sure there will be proper review of it soon.

deruberhanyok likes this.
  6. Kaos_Drem

Kaos_Drem Gawd

Most early engineering samples of products tend to not have fan profiles setup correctly either, so who knows it might be quieter for end users.

7. ajkates

ajkates [H]Lite

I'm pretty excited about this though. Yes, price-wise we can build something much more capable for less, but not in this form factor (7L vs 1.2L). Looking forward to having one of the 100w skus in the bedroom.

8. Kaos_Drem

Kaos_Drem Gawd

I think a lot of people miss that point. The Ncase M1 while a tiny case by all accounts is more than 10 times the size of the Hades Canyon NUC. 1.2L vs 13L.

9. Revenant_Knight

Revenant_Knight Limp Gawd

It's impressive. Hyperthreading and rear audio ports put it in front of the Zotac EN1060 in my book. However, the noise is TBD and that price...ouch. Should be pretty good for 1080P gaming at locked 30 FPS or locked 60FPS depending on the title. Add a Freesync monitor and it's got potential. Would be really nice if it supports HDMI 2.1 VRR.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018 at 4:21 AM
  10. Kaos_Drem

Kaos_Drem Gawd

Unfortunately I would not expect HDMI 2.1 support of any kind as the hardware layers and design specification for that was only finalized late last year.

11. Brian_R170

Brian_R170 n00bie

Thinking about replacing a system with i7-5775C in a Casetronic/Travla C287 (3.8L, Iris Pro graphics only) with a Hades Canyon NUC.

I assume the 1.2L does not include the 230W power brick which I also assume is somewhat large.

12. kirbyrj

kirbyrj Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?

That price is tough to swallow even at 1.2L. I feel like I could save myself $500 if I accepted say 5-6L size.

13. St1X

St1X [H]Lite

Yes, psu is external

14. Brian_R170

Brian_R170 n00bie

Right. On my Skull Canyon, the external PSU brick is 0.27L, well over 1/3 the volume of the unit.

15. Brian_R170

Brian_R170 n00bie

I found a video of the Hades Canyon including the power supply. The PSU is huge, well, relatively. The NUC + PSU are going to be around 2L combined.

See the PSU at around 1:45. The guy says it's about the same size as a Skull Canyon which he pulls out at 2:10.

16. deruberhanyok

Nice! They've also posted a look inside:

It's about the size I figured from pictures, it had to be bulkier than Skull Canyon for all the extra heat. Curious if it "breaks even" on noise with Skull Canyon - I had one sitting on top of my desk for a while and it really wasn't noticeable unless I was running a game on it, but then it was generally drowned out by the game.

That particular shop is also taking preorders:

https://www.simplynuc.com/hades-canyon/

17. Kaos_Drem

Kaos_Drem Gawd

Skull Canyon is 211mm x 116mm x 28mm = .685L

Hades Canyon power brick is 198mm x 98mm x 25mm = .485L (Lite-on Technology PA-1231-12).