Had my Rift + Touch now for a few days.....

Virtual_Bomber

Limp Gawd
First of all...just wow, cant believe I waited this long to get this! Not only is the experience incredible but it is so freaking fun but anyway....

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced any side effects I guess you could say from their VR headsets?

Like (in the real world) I felt awkward in my own body and it was like I wasn't in the right place....I guess is the way to put it.

I think what caused it was the third day I had it a friend of mine came over to check it out, he isn't into computer things at all hardly but I convinced him to come and try it because of how crazy the experience is. Well after of like 5 minutes into it (playing Robo Recall) he absolutely loved it and was into it.

So we had beers and played this damn thing for like 8 hours (even the wife tried out robo recall, the robots scared her lol), but fucking hell we shouldn't have played it that long. I think what really fucked me over was game I tried out the next night called RipCoil, standing in place but in the game you are moving extremely fast side to side, seriously got to me bad.

Decided to take a break from it for a couple of days and right now at the time of this post is the end of the first day and I feel normal again.

Did some google searching and found something similar to what I was feeling and was just wondering if anyone else has gotten this feeling?

I guess VR is going to be something I can't binge play like with everything else I've ever done of this nature which is all good. Will help me keep it in moderation as it should be!

Last edited:
I think I know what you're getting at. I experienced something a little similar when I first tried out Coumpound Demo. Using the thumbsticks to move around in that game was giving me a dizzying feel if I moved too fast, which I just assumed I was starting to feel motion sickness. Moving around normally in that game felt fine, was able to get thru the demo by just using the sticks as little as possible and doing roomspace movement as much as I could. It took a lot more focus to not really feel a kind of pressure in my head doing a combination of the controls. Then when I was done I definitely felt off for a liitle bit, maybe a few hours. Where I had a disconnected feeling and felt like my perception of everything was off/different.

Playing Archangel, Arizona Sunshine, Robo Recall is all fine and good. Even Sairento VR, even though I've only played a few hours, the controls seemed similar to the compound demo but I wasn't experiencing the same thing.

Then when I was done I definitely felt off for a liitle bit, maybe a few hours. Where I had a disconnected feeling and felt like my perception of everything was off/different.

Yes, exactly! It was really weird because at one point, only lasted a few seconds, I honestly felt like my arms were in a different position than they were and my depth perception kept.....changing (?) on me as well.

Really odd how that shit can trick your brain and coordination to such a degree.

I'm good now though, like I said, guess its going to have to be one of those moderation things.

I still can't play ALIEN: Isolation without regretting my life choices. Not for fear of life, but for fear I'm going to throw up all over my screen from the disembodiment sensation.

First of all...just wow, cant believe I waited this long to get this! Not only is the experience incredible but it is so freaking fun but anyway....

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced any side effects I guess you could say from their VR headsets?

Like (in the real world) I felt awkward in my own body and it was like I wasn't in the right place....I guess is the way to put it.

I think what caused it was the third day I had it a friend of mine came over to check it out, he isn't into computer things at all hardly but I convinced him to come and try it because of how crazy the experience is. Well after of like 5 minutes into it (playing Robo Recall) he absolutely loved it and was into it.

So we had beers and played this damn thing for like 8 hours (even the wife tried out robo recall, the robots scared her lol), but fucking hell we shouldn't have played it that long. I think what really fucked me over was game I tried out the next night called RipCoil, standing in place but in the game you are moving extremely fast side to side, seriously got to me bad.

Decided to take a break from it for a couple of days and right now at the time of this post is the end of the first day and I feel normal again.

Did some google searching and found something similar to what I was feeling and was just wondering if anyone else has gotten this feeling?

I guess VR is going to be something I can't binge play like with everything else I've ever done of this nature which is all good. Will help me keep it in moderation as it should be!

Like anything else, your brain gets used to it. I had that same feeling the first couple of times I played but don't have it any more - and I think part of it is that I've refined my camera setup/play area and was very careful when calibrating everything to where it's more accurate. I have the cameras hard mounted where before they were just on the pedestals and I think I'd get a little accuracy lost as they'd get moved slightly etc, so that causes there to be a difference in what happens in vr vs. what's going on in real life causing your brain to compensate and then have to recalibrate when out of vr, where now it's pretty much the same. When I touch the controllers together they're within 1-2mm of showing the same thing on screen.

hmmm... I've had the opposite. A several hour long session of something like Robo Recall, and when I take the headset off I occasionally have a mild vertigo sensation that lasts for a few minutes before I normalize back to reality (best description I have).

hmmm... I've had the opposite. A several hour long session of something like Robo Recall, and when I take the headset off I occasionally have a mild vertigo sensation that lasts for a few minutes before I normalize back to reality (best description I have).
Me, too. I always feel like I'm going to fall over if I play VR for more than an hour, after taking the headset off.

Me, after a long VR session:

giphy.webp

Like anything else, your brain gets used to it. I had that same feeling the first couple of times I played but don't have it any more - and I think part of it is that I've refined my camera setup/play area and was very careful when calibrating everything to where it's more accurate. I have the cameras hard mounted where before they were just on the pedestals and I think I'd get a little accuracy lost as they'd get moved slightly etc, so that causes there to be a difference in what happens in vr vs. what's going on in real life causing your brain to compensate and then have to recalibrate when out of vr, where now it's pretty much the same. When I touch the controllers together they're within 1-2mm of showing the same thing on screen.

It is possible about my setup causing that, I only have the two sensors setup in the diagonal config for the 360 degree tracking, I can tell it doesn't quite put my body in the "correct" spot but its VERY close though to highly enjoy everything and I have minimal problems considering the setup. I am on my way as of right now though to order another sensor. Also, I cant perma mount them yet because I will be moving soon and the play area is our living room as of right now and that will change for sure later on. I definitely will take your advice into consideration though, thanks!

It is possible about my setup causing that, I only have the two sensors setup in the diagonal config for the 360 degree tracking, I can tell it doesn't quite put my body in the "correct" spot but its VERY close though to highly enjoy everything and I have minimal problems considering the setup. I am on my way as of right now though to order another sensor. Also, I cant perma mount them yet because I will be moving soon and the play area is our living room as of right now and that will change for sure later on. I definitely will take your advice into consideration though, thanks!

I only have 2 sensors and was able to get the tracking to within 1-2mm. But, I had to pay careful attention to the calibration and roomscale setup and get the cameras positioned properly (this part wasn't too difficult, the screen where it has you setup your space shows the camera cones pretty well so it was just a matter of changing where they were pointing a little to get max coverage and then recalibrating). The other key part is getting the height correct. I can put my controller on the floor and it's within an inch, so that's about the limit of the resolution in the setup. If the floor is more than an inch off and if you hold your controllers together (touching) and move around your space and they move around more than a couple of milimeters with respect to each other, you probably need to re-position/re-calibrate a little more carefully. It sounds like more work than it was, it took me about 15 minutes of playing around to get it near perfect with the 2 camera setup and since the cameras are hard mounted, I haven't had to touch it since. I had thought about adding a 3rd camera but right now the tracking is close (enough) to perfect in the area I have that it would only be worth it if I rearranged the room for more space. The only issue for me is having to step over the headset cord during play, so I think investing in a wireless setup as opposed to a 3rd camera will be better spent money (for me).

You can temporarily hard mount sensors with some of the velcro 3m Command strips, a couple of angle brackets, and a couple of 1/4x20 nuts and bolts. I spent less than $20 and can mount up to four sensors a few times. I posted a pic in the 'Sensor mounting in apartments thread.' https://hardforum.com/attachments/img_20170807_204035-jpg.32975/

If you want a cleaner look (or you are more patient than I) you can order some security camera mounts for a few bucks more. Still use the Command Strips though. Then, once you move, just peel them carefully off the walls.

I've not suffered any ill effects from VR.

Then again, my eyes and my butt are used to not quite syncing up from when I was training for my helicopter instrument rating. We ran a brutal drill, especially for anyone with any susceptibility to motion sickness. You're in the hood so you can not see outside the cockpit. Your instructor takes the controls and you let go. You turn your head (semicircular canals perpendicular to normal travel, bad things happen) and the instructor flies around for a bit, throwing in turns, dives, climbs, swoops, pedal turns, etc... and gets the helicopter into an unusual attitude. You're then to grab the controls and get back into trimmed, straight and level, 70 knots, correct altitude, on course flight as quickly as possible using only the instruments - gyro, VSI, altimeter, airspeed indicator... Your eyes, ears and butt are completely at odds with each other, screaming at you that EVERYTHING IS WRONG.

We always had bags in the cockpit.

I also used to be a river guide and still spend a lot of weekends with my butt in a whitewater kayak. Whitewater kayaks are squirrelly bastards. I'm convinced that my first kayak preferred going downstream upside down and backwards. Which is a problem, I like the sky, after a minute or two upside down in the water you really start to miss it.

After marathon sessions I've just come out feeling... off. It's not necessarily vertigo, but I very much feel like I'm in a fog/tunnel vision and nothing is quite right. It's really interesting, but I have no idea what really causes it. It definitely got worse when I used headphones vs using speakers, so I'm wondering if I'm dissociating from the real world to an extent. I really want to just get in VR for a whole day with minimal breaks and see how it goes.

As an aside, I played the other day after not having played VR in months and I tried to set my controller down on the counter in front of me(in the game) where there was absolutely nothing in front of my in my office. It much less embarrassing then when I punched a hole in my ceiling trying to jump and grab the chain in Job Simulator to see if I could open the gate more quickly.

I only have 2 sensors and was able to get the tracking to within 1-2mm. But, I had to pay careful attention to the calibration and roomscale setup and get the cameras positioned properly (this part wasn't too difficult, the screen where it has you setup your space shows the camera cones pretty well so it was just a matter of changing where they were pointing a little to get max coverage and then recalibrating). The other key part is getting the height correct. I can put my controller on the floor and it's within an inch, so that's about the limit of the resolution in the setup. If the floor is more than an inch off and if you hold your controllers together (touching) and move around your space and they move around more than a couple of milimeters with respect to each other, you probably need to re-position/re-calibrate a little more carefully. It sounds like more work than it was, it took me about 15 minutes of playing around to get it near perfect with the 2 camera setup and since the cameras are hard mounted, I haven't had to touch it since. I had thought about adding a 3rd camera but right now the tracking is close (enough) to perfect in the area I have that it would only be worth it if I rearranged the room for more space. The only issue for me is having to step over the headset cord during play, so I think investing in a wireless setup as opposed to a 3rd camera will be better spent money (for me).

Well at one point I did have the 2 sensors dialed in superbly. Never had a blind spot in the tracking.
The shitty thing is that I have to re-setup everyday that I want to play it is because I have to put it away because I have an 11 month old running around the house and my computer is in the living room so once I get it great I just have to put it away everytime. :-/

But it will be different once I move back to the states. I am in Germany right now in a slightly below average sized home and they set their houses up differently here so we ran out of rooms quickly.

You can temporarily hard mount sensors with some of the velcro 3m Command strips, a couple of angle brackets, and a couple of 1/4x20 nuts and bolts. I spent less than $20 and can mount up to four sensors a few times. I posted a pic in the 'Sensor mounting in apartments thread.' https://hardforum.com/attachments/img_20170807_204035-jpg.32975/

I've not suffered any ill effects from VR.

Then again, my eyes and my butt are used to not quite syncing up from when I was training for my helicopter instrument rating. We ran a brutal drill, especially for anyone with any susceptibility to motion sickness. You're in the hood so you can not see outside the cockpit. Your instructor takes the controls and you let go. You turn your head (semicircular canals perpendicular to normal travel, bad things happen) and the instructor flies around for a bit, throwing in turns, dives, climbs, swoops, pedal turns, etc... and gets the helicopter into an unusual attitude. You're then to grab the controls and get back into trimmed, straight and level, 70 knots, correct altitude, on course flight as quickly as possible using only the instruments - gyro, VSI, altimeter, airspeed indicator... Your eyes, ears and butt are completely at odds with each other, screaming at you that EVERYTHING IS WRONG.

Well I have been thinking about that as well but I think the walls maybe to far apart, it is 20 feet from corner to corner in the living room and 16 feet from wall to wall. Honestly, I don't know the max sensor range and also the 11 month old gets into everything and I would literally have to run the cords along the ceiling. When we move there will be a room dedicated (hopefully we find the right house) for gaming and I won't have to worry about any of that.

And it wasn't necessarily motion sickness....I've never had it before, it was like the other guy said, I felt slightly disassociated from reality and my body after I was done playing it. It was a very odd feeling, IF that is motion sickness that is the first time I've felt it and I even felt it a tad bit the next morning.

Thanks for both of you guy's advice though. It is appreciated.

After a few hours of VR I feel off also when coming out. To me it's like playing a game with a laggy monitor and then jumping to a CRT. Everything is still happening, but your timing is off because it's TOO quick. That's how real life feels after a long VR session. It's very subtle but still there, annoying the piss out of you and almost giving you a disconnected sensation.

I know what you mean. It's a weird sensation to describe but I think you mostly got it. It almost feels like an odd sensation of slight movement at random times right after or even the day after playing a bit but the sensation is odd enough to make you feel more than just a bit disoriented. Almost like a slight confusion but even that isn't quite describing it right.

I had this feeling the first day or two with my Oculus and, although I don't play it daily nor for long stretches, I've gotten used it since those first few days.

The best explanation I can come up with is the fact that our bodies aren't visible while in VR but movement is present. I think having our actual body as a frame of reference right after VR feels slightly out of place until the VR-ness wears off. If you're anything like me, the sensation will go away altogether with a few more sessions.

If you haven't yet gotten used to it, my suggestion for you would be to play in a well lit room and adjust the headset so that the small gap by your nose is large enough for you to see a bit of the outside world while you play.

Last edited:
You get used to it.
The experience isnt perfect and creates some sensations you arent used to.
They soon wear off.

I still can't play ALIEN: Isolation without regretting my life choices. Not for fear of life, but for fear I'm going to throw up all over my screen from the disembodiment sensation.

Oh god that game is fucking AMAZING in VR. I can't believe they "patched" out the semi-official support (or maybe it's back idk haven't checked since like May).

Nah. It's been patched out. They left the original VR files in the game though. There's an unofficial patch that opens it back up.

It's pretty awesome in game, but just thinking about it makes me feel queezy. But my friend doesn't mind it. Go figure! Might be my age showing.

I love my Rift, I just wished that AAA titles for Rift were longer in duration. Games like A Sunshine are literally amazing except short.

Also oculus REALLY needs to have a cloud save feature. I lost all my saved games when I went from my R7 to my Threadripper and reinstalling windows. Going back and redoing everything in some games is ok but others its a buzz kill.

I bought Project Cars 2 and lost my whole evening, couldnt put it down, simply awesome on Rift!
On flatscreen I found it tricky to keep up.
On Rift I was immediately 3 seconds faster, this is where racing is at :D

I love my Rift, I just wished that AAA titles for Rift were longer in duration. Games like A Sunshine are literally amazing except short.

Also oculus REALLY needs to have a cloud save feature. I lost all my saved games when I went from my R7 to my Threadripper and reinstalling windows. Going back and redoing everything in some games is ok but others its a buzz kill.
Yeah, cloud based saved games would really be good.

I bought Project Cars 2 and lost my whole evening, couldnt put it down, simply awesome on Rift!
On flatscreen I found it tricky to keep up.
On Rift I was immediately 3 seconds faster, this is where racing is at :D

I started a thread asking how people like it but no responses. Thanks for the repl;y. I might get the game now.

I started a thread asking how people like it but no responses. Thanks for the repl;y. I might get the game now.
I'm scared to put it on because nothing will get done.
I'm gonna get ball ached.

Back