Hacking Terminals in Fallout 3

I remember typing a long post about hacking terminals in the gaming section already, so I will keep this short.

If you try the option "search" and it says 4/6 correct, choose another option that has 4 of the same letters.

the easiest way I found without having to think to much was this:

1. view all the words that pop up on the screen
2. if there are several with the same ending (-ing, -ate, ect...) Pick one of those first.
3. If it says you have 3 or more letters right you are usually on the right track. if not, try the next group of words with a different ending.
4. depending on how many letters are right stay with the words that most closely match.
5. when it says you have one try left, exit out and go back into it again. It will reset but you will never be locked out.

If you really want to do the math on it you can, its not to difficult, I just never cared for it.

hope this helps...

the easiest way I found without having to think to much was this:

1. view all the words that pop up on the screen
2. if there are several with the same ending (-ing, -ate, ect...) Pick one of those first.
3. If it says you have 3 or more letters right you are usually on the right track. if not, try the next group of words with a different ending.
4. depending on how many letters are right stay with the words that most closely match.

This is what I do. It is simply a matter of studying the words and, after choosing one word that failed, matching up any likely corresponding letters to that failed word. That's assuming at least one letter is a part of the real entry.

No No and NO!!!!

Scan every single letter thing in every single line first.....FIND ALL THE DUDS....This eliminates all the "DUDS". If the terminal is easy - average, you will be left with one single word and that is of course the right one.

Hard terminals...well, you get the idea already :)

Theres also the other function. Finding random strings of characters between { }, ( ), and [ ] can eliminate wrong choices and also reset your number of attempts.

Its usually best to make 2 password attempts and THEN go for the brackets.

Theres also the other function. Finding random strings of characters between { }, ( ), and [ ] can eliminate wrong choices and also reset your number of attempts.

Its usually best to make 2 password attempts and THEN go for the brackets.

Heh, thats what I was talkin about...find the DUDS.....I was in a hurry when I made my post, had the ol lady giving me "the eye" cause it was our kids bedtime :)

Mostly logical deduction, just learn to make smart moves and you'll always have enough to do it. The number of correct letters are those letters which appear in the final word AND are in the right position in the word.

You can take some logical shortcuts like if a word is "understanding" and several other of the other words end in "ing" and you only have 2 letters correct, then you can rule out all the words ending in "ing", same for any other common parts of words

I took the lazy way and never bothered trying to figure them out.

Save right before trying, click randomly; didn't work, load save game, try again. :p

I'm not sure if Bethesda has fixed this, but you can try "X" amount of attempts then exit the console and retry. "X" being 1 less than the maximum allowable attempts.

do what I do. Randomly choose 3 times, press power. start again. randomly choose 3 times and repeats until you get it. Never had to spend more than a minute or so getting into something.

BOOM there it is, strategy I used as well. I usually click the top left, then the mid right, then mid left, then exit. GOt a lot on first try.

As your science skill gets up, the hacking gets slightly easier because there are less duds when you start off.

I usually end up clicking what sounds the best and when you get to three attempts and you havent gotten it, power down the terminal and start again.

Back