Hacking Android 2.0 on a MotoDroid...?

Bloodgod42

Gawd
Ok, I must start out saying that the Droid is a very nice device, with much potential ahead of it (at least for the next year or so), however, it's not perfect, and i would like to exploit its potential now to minimize the few quirks that exist with it's daily usage...

I have a Motodroid and the one thing I hate about it is the lack of a hardware "End Call" button. I have experienced issues where you get off a call and the screen stays black, or the "End Call" button just simply wont work respond for. Or another example is if i accidentally call someone and want to hangup before the call goes thru, it wont let me end the transmission. Either way, I am hoping that there is a way to hack the OS so that i can reassign the physical camera button to act as the end call button...

Does anyone know if this is possible yet? If so, what software, if any, is required?

I have googled the subject, and have learned the following based on a G1:
"Google's open-source Android platform is based around a Linux kernel."
Now i have rooted other phones before, but not based on Linux...are there issues a die-hard windows user will encounter?

Thanks guys (and the few girls that hang around too) ;) I can always count on you for the [H]ard answers!

Any info is greatly appreciated!

I've been following it loosely here and there on other forums. Seems like noone has managed to crack into root yet. Once they do there should be tons of builds floating around.

pressing the power button should end the call, not a long press. at least it does on my hero.

I have a Droid and couldn't be happier with it. The forums over at phandroid.com have a wealth of information, but as far as your question goes, I'm not sure. I have had some calls that the screen stayed black after the fact. Maybe when the update comes out on the 11th it will be fixed, or maybe in a later firmware/os update.

Once they other side hangs up, you will hear a beep indicating the call has ended. You can also press the power button to bring the screen back on, which normally only stays off after long calls.

Yeah, I've seen this issue as well. 90% of the time the phone gets it right and turns the display back on when I move it, but sometimes I have to turn the display back on.

What annoys me a bit is that I'm always accidentally changing the volume (sometimes silencing it).

Back