Hackers Tricked A Tesla Into Hitting Objects In Its Path

HardOCP News

[H] News
Stuff like this is actually pretty scary when you think about it. Although they used a Tesla for the demonstration, jamming attacks like this could work on any number of vehicles with autopilot-like features. :eek:

A group of researchers presenting at last week's Def Con hacker conference showed how they were able to overwhelm or deceive Tesla's sophisticated sensors to make a car hit an object it would normally detect in its path. "Normally the car will not move. However, when we jam the sensor it moves," Chen Yan said in a talk on Friday while playing a demo video of a Tesla Model S attack. "It hit me," he added, to audience laughter.

So once again, the biggest threat to an autopilot user is... human beings.

There is a damned good reason not to trust fully automated systems.
They shined lasers into the cameras. Guess what happens if instead they just shined the lasers at your eyes? You blind, foo.

And wrapping an object in black foam on a black asphalt road would probably have most people hitting it too, at least in low-light conditions.

Advanced cruise control or Driving-assist (it shouldn't be called autopilot), doesn't have to be perfect, just better than most drivers. My buddy's friend from highschool just died doing absolutely nothing wrong, when a 16 year old teenager went speeding through an intersection on a left turn on which he's supposed to yield, t-boning the friend on his Harley who died in hospital. I bet most driving-assist programs wouldn't have done that.

Yeah I mean you can do that to human drivers too, sit on overpass with a high enough powered laser.

You could use LEDs if they were powerful enough with good enough optics.

This can be relatively easily fixed (for common attack vectors) with the correct technology. Those who are determined in such a field (like myself) is another story. That's about all I will say on that matter x:.

So the attack vector on autopilot involves high powered lasers and/or jamming equipment.
An attack vector against an average driver is sending them a snapchat....

...how exactly is this an argument AGAINST autopilot?

There is a damned good reason not to trust fully automated systems.
Yes, because humans on the other hand are infallible.

If we didn't use anything that can be circumvented or used for ill purposes, we wouldn't have many toys left.

I see no fundamental difference between this and someone intentionally ramming the Tesla with their car. You can't possibly fault the car for a third party's intentional attempts to sabotage it.:rolleyes:

Yes, because humans on the other hand are infallible.

If we didn't use anything that can be circumvented or used for ill purposes, we wouldn't have many toys left.
Autopilot and autonomous vehicle systems are designed and programmed by humans. Therefore, autopilot and autonomous vehicle systems are also fallible.

I see no fundamental difference between this and someone intentionally ramming the Tesla with their car. You can't possibly fault the car for a third party's intentional attempts to sabotage it.:rolleyes:

It is and it isn't fundamentally different.

They are the same in that both conventional cars and autonomous cars are vulnerable to a ramming attack. The autonomous car is also vulnerable to a jamming attack. This may be something to consider regarding laws and mandates on the technology when you are dealing with the possibility of say.. kidnapping and ransoms. Or more generally, general mayhem and vandalism. Is some asshole with a laser fundamentally more troublesome and hard to deal with than some asshole with a bowling ball and the willingness ot chuck it at cars from an overpass?

Autopilot and autonomous vehicle systems are designed and programmed by humans. Therefore, autopilot and autonomous vehicle systems are also fallible.

Can humans solve ten million equations in a split second? People have been using tools to achieve better results since the dawn of time, nothing new.

Can humans solve ten million equations in a split second?
And more importantly, can the lowest common denominator. George Carlin said it best when he reminded people to think of how dumb the average person is, and realize that about half the people are dumber than that!

For some people? A self driving car might really help out. Maybe someone's blind or disabled and can't legally drive. But there's no redundant systems in place. That makes me worried.

I do want to see this actually work to help streamline our traffic problems and congestion.

Back