Hackers Stole More Than 30 Jeeps And Dodges Using A Laptop

HardOCP News

[H] News
Remember the "hackers" we told you about last month that were stealing Jeeps using only a laptop? Well, it looks as though the cops caught up with the thieves but not until they stole over thirty Jeeps and Dodge vehicles. :eek:

Once they identified the suspects, police started tailing them and recording their every move. And last week, the cops caught the two guys in the act—stealing Jeeps in the Memorial area of Houston. Investigators told ABC 13 that the suspects hooked the laptop to the cars (many of which were unlocked), then used pirated software to somehow turn them on and just drive the away.

I wrote about this a month ago.. "The Club" is going to make a comeback!!

breakincar.jpg

Yeah the club looks like a really good option these days. With everything going electronic, its just making things easier to hack.

You guys are kidding about the club, right? All you have to do is saw through the steering wheel(which is really easy to do), and you can bend it out of the way to take those things right off. There's a reason they aren't popular anymore.

Easy solution, finger print all drivers and lock down the car to their finger print.

You guys are kidding about the club, right? All you have to do is saw through the steering wheel(which is really easy to do), and you can bend it out of the way to take those things right off. There's a reason they aren't popular anymore.
I just fill my trunk with nitroglycerin and make sure to remove it before driving away.

Easy solution, finger print all drivers and lock down the car to their finger print.
Biometric security is great, until it's cracked and then you run into the problem of people being unable to change their fingerprint/retina/palm/etc.

The simple reality is that auto manufacturers need to lock their shit down better. Some systems simply do not need to have wifi, bluetooth, or even ODB connectivity. If you look at things like the Nissan Leaf exploit that allowed people to just enter a VIN and play with the climate controls from anywhere on the globe if the vehicle was on wifi(and draining the battery), it only happened because they made zero effort regarding security and then because they half-assed their app distribution couldn't even globally update things to put a stop to it.

The easier way would be to not fuck up the steering wheel and cut the lock housing. It's really shitty cast iron i believe

The easier way would be to not fuck up the steering wheel and cut the lock housing. It's really shitty cast iron i believe
Sure, but the metal in the steering wheels is really flimsy, even if you found another brand of basically the same product that beefed it up, you can still get through the steering wheel in seconds and if a thief is really concerned about it they can just toss a cheap cover over it.

I know that ecu(Electronic control unit) is reprogramable. But that also takes time to do it.

stop by mcdonalds, go to bathroom and remove the c02 canister from the automatic airfreshner, apply c02 directly to the club, smack with stick and watch it shatter, steal car in normal fashion with a screw driver and jumper at the computer terminal.

Hmmm maybe carmakers can make stronger wheels?

anybody have any idea how these guys did it?

CAN bus is from the 1980s and has little to no security and a lot of modern cars use it for wireless communications for things like tires and diagnostics it was a matter of time. Some companies are good at firewalling and other measures to protect it, but others like Dodge either implemented flawed protections or relied on obscurity which results in this hack.

Hmmm maybe carmakers can make stronger wheels?

Then more people die from steering wheel injuries when the airbag isn't enough to shield you from it.

Noticed the car alarm going off without anyone coming by. Car alarms don't work, they just annoy everyone else.

I read that you can ssh in to the cars USB port.

Also I can program dodge keys with little more than a 15 dollar key fob and a pin number from the dealer.

At least you will stop the thieves who are not carrying a saw.

Prison for them. The only Ram they'll be getting is up their asses.

At least you will stop the thieves who are not carrying a saw.
Or bolt cutters, or a large pair of dikes, and so on.

If someone wants to steal your car, they're going to do it. It's simply a matter of what tools they take with them. If they really want it, they might even just put it on dollies and drag it to where they can deal with it later(that's how bikes with wheel locks get stolen)

Or bolt cutters, or a large pair of dikes, and so on.

If someone wants to steal your car, they're going to do it. It's simply a matter of what tools they take with them. If they really want it, they might even just put it on dollies and drag it to where they can deal with it later(that's how bikes with wheel locks get stolen)

they put my friends truck up on a flatbed when they stole his from a parking lot.

who pays attention to tow trucks.

Yeah the club looks like a really good option these days. With everything going electronic, its just making things easier to hack.

(many of which were unlocked)
And it's easier still when they leave their cars unlocked. I bet most of the ones that were locked were open topped jeeps. I just think that there must be another aspect to this like they are connecting to the OBDC via the physical port and these cars were either left unsecured or in very vulnerable locations, like in a bar parking lot overnight after closing.

The reason no on uses the club anymore is that it's easy to get around. As was previously mentioned, stupid thieves just cut through the steering wheel and smarter ones just bring a can of tetrafluoroethane, turn it upside down and use it to flash freeze the mechanism and then apply a hammer.

If you're going to take something with you, might as well just take the starter fuse, it's smaller than the steering wheel. On a more realistic level an ODB2 lock or removable port will at least cost the thief some time.

They were able to get it the same way the other Jeep hackers did; the vehicle CANnet is bridged to the entertainment system so the maintenance reminders can pop on the screen. For whatever reason, they went with a bidirectional bridge and helloooo packet injection. In this case, most probably the "remote start" signal. Come to think of it, with physical access they can just reprogram the paired key to the one they have in their pocket.

Many cars ship with all the options (or pieces of them, at least). The trim level just determines whether or not you get the programming to activate them (and the relevant button in the panel). Especially true of overseas vehicles as then you don't have to pay to ship a lot of trim levels; just the base car and some packages to uprate them.

had one of these in the late 90's till it died. Most fun car security I've ever had!

The reason no on uses the club anymore is that it's easy to get around. As was previously mentioned, stupid thieves just cut through the steering wheel and smarter ones just bring a can of tetrafluoroethane, turn it upside down and use it to flash freeze the mechanism and then apply a hammer.

If you're going to take something with you, might as well just take the starter fuse, it's smaller than the steering wheel. On a more realistic level an ODB2 lock or removable port will at least cost the thief some time.

There are smart thrives and there are smart car owners.

1. Make your car look like an unattractive or difficult or risky target.

and ...

2. Make sure your insurance claim goes through OK.

There are smart thrives and there are smart car owners.

1. Make your car look like an unattractive or difficult or risky target.

and ...

2. Make sure your insurance claim goes through OK.

#1 is difficult because you never know what they're looking for, certain old cars are stolen very often (like Acura Integras), But #2 is a good one. Don't tell my insurance, but I wouldn't mind if my car was stolen, there is a fair gap between retail value and trade in value and I'm looking at replacing it.

mechanical door switch , when opened an alert on your cell phone , no noise at car, sneak up on thief , with pistol pointed at head ask thief to get out of car , then shoot thief's foot off , thief will remember every time he walks on his new stump.

Last edited:
What exactly did people think was going to happen. You connect anything like this to the internet or add remote features and you're opening the system up to all kinds of hacking/access. Manufacturers rush to have the latest in technology without a clue of how to secure it.

mechanical door switch , when opened an alert on your cell phone , no noise at car, sneak up on thief , with pistol pointed at head ask thief to get out of car , then shoot thief's foot off , thief will remember every time he walks on his new stump.

As righteous as this sounds, you do know that in the US, you would spend several years of your life in prison if you actually did this, and the law suite would take almost everything your family owns from them.

Back