Hackers Leak 32 Terabytes of Secret Windows 10 Code

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Yet another story reducing Windows morale: heaps of Windows 10 internal builds and private source code have leaked online. The data was meant only for Microsoft, hardware manufacturers, and select customers, but now unscrupulous types have an excellent avenue for finding new security vulnerabilities and Windows exploits. While they are in the process of being removed, Microsoft has confirmed the files to be a portion of the source code from the Shared Source Initiative, used by OEMs and partners.

The data – some 32TB of official and non-public installation images and software blueprints that compress down to 8TB – were uploaded to betaarchive.com, the latest load of files provided just earlier this week. It is believed the confidential data in this dump was exfiltrated from Microsoft's in-house systems around March this year. The leaked code is Microsoft's Shared Source Kit: according to people who have seen its contents, it includes the source to the base Windows 10 hardware drivers plus Redmond's PnP code, its USB and Wi-Fi stacks, its storage drivers, and ARM-specific OneCore kernel code.

I honestly don't know if this is a good or bad thing. It seems a little from column a and a little from column b...

I honestly don't know if this is a good or bad thing. It seems a little from column a and a little from column b...
That depends on your perspective. On one hand it will expose any vulnerabilities that weren't known before. On the other hand, it might give some insight for Linux developers on improving their Windows compatibility.

Is it complete? Can someone build Windows 10 from Source eliminating all the crap?

yup WAN show talked aboot it last night. waaaay less data than claimed and its been taken down already. we'll have to wait and see but I doubt anything will actually come out of this.

yup WAN show talked aboot it last night. waaaay less data than claimed and its been taken down already. we'll have to wait and see but I doubt anything will actually come out of this.

The source code that was leaked is shared code with OEMs and partners anyway. The vast bulk of the data was older leaked builds which is common.

Last edited:
That depends on your perspective. On one hand it will expose any vulnerabilities that weren't known before. On the other hand, it might give some insight for Linux developers on improving their Windows compatibility.
So it's either excellent or merely good?

"but now unscrupulous types have an excellent avenue for finding new security vulnerabilities and Windows exploits"
Or white hats can find and fix security vulnerabilities and Windows exploits

I'm pretty sure this information was exaggerated. I've seen multiple sources saying g 1.2GB of source for USB, storage and WIFI drivers...

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/24/15867350/microsoft-windows-10-source-code-leak

This has to be exaggerated, I don't believe that all of Windows source code is anywhere near 32 TB.

https://arstechnica.com/information...s-source-in-a-monstrous-300gb-git-repository/

This article claims their newer git DBs are 300 GB. That's two orders of magnitude smaller than the claim for the leak.

they should have been running winders 10.....its impossible to get infections or hacked with it....don't they read their own BS

VERY TRUE Death....windows 10 = win 7 with tons of spyware, bloatware
and the new DX should be added to win 7.

90% of the source code was banner ads and candy crush

Back