Hackers Gonna Hac....uh Get Stoned

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
This article proclaims that the FBI is hurting to find good hackers due to these guys being a bunch of potheads. Then goes on to offer zero proof that any of this is actually happening. I think the author got stoned and forgot what he learned in journalism class. All that said, maybe it is really all the blow that is keeping everyone away? Daily clickbait goal attained!

The FBI has a three year waiting period for weed imbibers. And if another different illegal substance has been used, such as cocaine or ecstasy, the waiting period turns into 10 years. This policy isn’t hurting hackers, unless it was their lifelong dream to join, but it could be hurting our cyber security during a time when that’s simply unacceptable.

Last edited:
I read something about this a few years ago too. I'd believe it, especially these days.

A lot of these laws and hiring practices were developed during times of extreme paranoia and misinformation surrounding the drug culture. It was an us vs. them mentality, and they have towed the line ever since. Now trying to say that every hacker smokes weed is pretty far fetched. I think the truth would be a little closer to hackers that have no problem giving the finger to the cops don't want to work for a corrupt, oppressive government. Seems pretty straightforward to me. They don't let you fly a plane drunk, and they don't want you to be on drugs if you're working for the FBI that is supposed to be upholding the laws of FEDERAL (read; not state laws, sorry potheads) government. Makes sense to me.

I had a friend in college who'd dad was in the CIA and he was planning top follow in his fathers footsteps. He was one of the only kids on our floor that would never smoke pot under any circumstance. He always told us that the FBI / CIA does extreme drug testing during their vetting process and can detect trace amounts back a significant way. His father had remarked to him how many people get turned down for positions because they pop hot for thc when tested thoroughly.

A lot of these laws and hiring practices were developed during times of extreme paranoia and misinformation surrounding the drug culture. It was an us vs. them mentality, and they have towed the line ever since. Now trying to say that every hacker smokes weed is pretty far fetched. I think the truth would be a little closer to hackers that have no problem giving the finger to the cops don't want to work for a corrupt, oppressive government. Seems pretty straightforward to me. They don't let you fly a plane drunk, and they don't want you to be on drugs if you're working for the FBI that is supposed to be upholding the laws of FEDERAL (read; not state laws, sorry potheads) government. Makes sense to me.

I had a friend in college who'd dad was in the CIA and he was planning top follow in his fathers footsteps. He was one of the only kids on our floor that would never smoke pot under any circumstance. He always told us that the FBI / CIA does extreme drug testing during their vetting process and can detect trace amounts back a significant way. His father had remarked to him how many people get turned down for positions because they pop hot for thc when tested thoroughly.
If I were a hacker, or even remotely capable of said activities, and making a living doing so, I'd be enjoying imbibement on a daily basis.

We already know that cannabis is far less lethal than alcohol, and even a slight THC high can open the mind's pathways considerably, making one a more effective coder, and especially hacker.

The feds and the FBI need to join the 21st century.

Because only Republicans are corrupt.
Not sure it's so much a partisan issue. I think there cannot be a genuine argument that the administration in power politically does not wield significant power over governmental agencies. I have seen plenty of it over the last years - and that includes both parties.

I don't know if they suffer from outright 'corruption', but their image of being only after the truth and politically non-partial has certainly taken a beating.
When was that? The Red scare and 1001 other things, they've never been only after the truth. Now they have and do some good stuff, but there's been bad too. You know in its entire history no FBI agent has ever shot someone by accident or who didn't deserve it? Oh and they investigate all shootings involving an FBI agent themselves...funny coincidence isn't that? My mom was investigated by the FBI because she was the editor of her high school paper and let one of writers do a satire piece about communism in early 50's...because you know how dangerous and subversive those high schools seniors, in Utah, were back then.

As someone who has previously worked for the Department of State it's not the only reason the FBI can't find qualified cyber-security staff. Many of the departments contract our their IT Services to private firms anyway. The FBI will be forced to contract out their work to private cyber security firms to get around the antiquated policies. A good "White Hat" will be paid much more in the private sector anyway.

While I agree there are no sources and no quotes, this is not hard to believe at all. A survey last year found that roughly 40% college students smoked pot in the previous 30 days. I suspect it's at or above 50% for annual use, which pushes all those people out of the FBI pool for 3 years. My guess is if someone gets out of school and gets a job, they're not going to quit smoking pot for 3 years to join the FBI (and likely make less money).

It's a stupid rule, just like the scheduling of Pot was stupid (especially given that it fails all criteria for a schedule 1 drug).
And I would agree with you. But you think if you are were going to write something like that, it might be backed up by facts. He was probably stoned when he wrote it. I guess that is what passes for journalism nowadays.

Not sure it's so much a partisan issue. I think there cannot be a genuine argument that the administration in power politically does not wield significant power over governmental agencies. I have seen plenty of it over the last years - and that includes both parties.
(psst: I was trolling him)

When was that? The Red scare and 1001 other things, they've never been only after the truth. Now they have and do some good stuff, but there's been bad too. You know in its entire history no FBI agent has ever shot someone by accident or who didn't deserve it? Oh and they investigate all shootings involving an FBI agent themselves...funny coincidence isn't that? My mom was investigated by the FBI because she was the editor of her high school paper and let one of writers do a satire piece about communism in early 50's...because you know how dangerous and subversive those high schools seniors, in Utah, were back then.
That's when Hoover was running around tucking himself for the panty hose ...

Reactions: WhoMe
like this
I've encountered plenty of folks that I thought were stoned in online multiplayer games. Might go some way in explaining their in-game behavior.

As someone who has previously worked for the Department of State it's not the only reason the FBI can't find qualified cyber-security staff. Many of the departments contract our their IT Services to private firms anyway. The FBI will be forced to contract out their work to private cyber security firms to get around the antiquated policies. A good "White Hat" will be paid much more in the private sector anyway.
Honestly enough, that's not how it should be. I knew a few folks in a government office in downtown Dallas, and they worked VERY hard to make sure everyone was paid higher than they could get out in the real world, simply to try to control graft.

Honestly enough, that's not how it should be. I knew a few folks in a government office in downtown Dallas, and they worked VERY hard to make sure everyone was paid higher than they could get out in the real world, simply to try to control graft.
By far and large, government pay is lower than private sector, job-for-job. However, as a total compensation package, it's probably closer to parity. You know, 40-hour weeks, benefits, etc.

By far and large, government pay is lower than private sector, job-for-job. However, as a total compensation package, it's probably closer to parity. You know, 40-hour weeks, benefits, etc.
Yah, and back when I knew that dude, he said they did their damnedest to stay ahead, just to keep good people & try to prevent corruption.

F
That's when Hoover was running around tucking himself for the panty hose ...
Funny story I read a little while ago (and can't remember who told it, a well recognized journalist or columnist I think) . When he was a child his father worked for the FBI and one time he was taken to the FBI head quarters to meet one of his favorite TV start Vivian Vance. So he was taken up to a top floor and sure enough he met Vivian Vance. Well it wasn't until many years latter he started to wonder why Vivian Vance would be in the FBI headquarters. Then he thought about the J E Hoover stories...and wondered if that's who he really met.

Now I have to say, I almost feel sorry for the guy, if the best you can do is imitate Vance (funny actress...but not the most visually appealing...by the 50's anyway).

Back