Hackers Found an Ingenious Way to Embarrass Microsoft

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Talk about getting hit where it hurts, Microsoft’s TechNet site was on the receiving end of an embarrassing exploit that used an ingenious tactic to deploy botnet malware on Microsoft’s sacred ground. :D

And herein lies the embarrassment for Microsoft, whose botnet-hunting group, The Digital Crime Unit, has worked with the FBI and officials in 80 countries to take down some of the largest, most dangerous botnets in the world. This was an in-your-face to Microsoft from the hackers.

"Hackers Found an Ingenious Way to Embarrass Microsoft"

I don't think Microsoft needed any help. :p

Microsoft is one of if not the biggest target for hackers. Considering they have to constantly be on defense and help take down botnets and so on I give them credit. No other Tech company has been active for so long and to be so widely used. Hate them of love them they still accomplish a great deal.

Microsoft is one of if not the biggest target for hackers. Considering they have to constantly be on defense and help take down botnets and so on I give them credit. No other Tech company has been active for so long and to be so widely used. Hate them of love them they still accomplish a great deal.

This I have to agree with. Some find it funny that they were hacked but then these same folks get all self righteous when their credit cards are stolen from other sites that were hacked by the same people. :rolleyes:

How wonderful for them to take down botnets which for a time proliferated on machines with their OS. I'm not so sure that should be viewed as self-less as you make it sound.

How wonderful for them to take down botnets which for a time proliferated on machines with their OS. I'm not so sure that should be viewed as self-less as you make it sound.

So, you are saying then that Ford should be held fully responsible when a Ford car is involved in a crash?

I don't under stand the article, it states technets security wasn't broken, and that they just put malware into their user profiles. What does this mean? The best I can gather is links to malware in their profiles? That doesn't seem to embarrassing to microsoft.

Botnets aren't created due to a flaw in the OS.
Well of course, they're created by whoever programmed the malicious code, which a lot of time, takes advantage of flaws in OS's that should've been fixed long ago. Of course some users just click everything that says 'click me' until they turn their computer into one but some are definitely turned due to flaws in the OS (not the user).

I don't get it, it seems the tactic will work on any forum based from what it does, it is not even an exploit, it is just hiding encrypted code in the forum, or am I missing something else

"Hackers Found an Ingenious Way to Embarrass Microsoft"

What? Did the hackers release Windows 8, 8.1 and 10?

Truth

Well of course, they're created by whoever programmed the malicious code, which a lot of time, takes advantage of flaws in OS's that should've been fixed long ago. Of course some users just click everything that says 'click me' until they turn their computer into one but some are definitely turned due to flaws in the OS (not the user).

Any examples? Because it sounds like you are focusing on the extreme rare case of actual OS exploits, when almost all of cases are from java/flash or user error. It's not a bug/exploit of some idiot installs the malware on their machine...

Awsome Mr. Hackers.

Of course guys like me use Technet as a resource and when it's not available then Mr. Hacker you are messing with my job.

Please stop fucking with my thing dickheads.

I don't get it, it seems the tactic will work on any forum based from what it does, it is not even an exploit, it is just hiding encrypted code in the forum, or am I missing something else

It sounds like that fact that it originated from a microsoft domain caused antivirus to miss it? But what the hell do I know :D

Back