Hackers Finally Post Stolen Ashley Madison Data

HardOCP News

[H] News
Something tells me that a lot of guys are going to be in the dog house soon. How many? Well, this article claims that, of the 32 million people affected, as many as 95% are men. That number is staggering considering the U.S. population is just shy of 320 million, half of which are men. :eek:

Seven years worth of credit card and other payment transaction details are also part of the dump, going back to 2007. The data, which amounts to millions of payment transactions, includes names, street address, email address and amount paid, but not credit card numbers; instead it includes four digits for each transaction that may be the last four digits of the credit card or simply a transaction ID unique to each charge.

95% men eh? I wonder who is the unscrupulous one here, the hackers or the hackee.

I'm not going to shed any tears. (Ironically, in my state, this website is actually illegal).

Totally awesome and sooo very much deserved. Hackers sometimes accidentally do something good for the world once in a while.

nelson-haha.jpg

Everyone is entitled to privacy...unless you're doing something I don't agree with, then it's "Hooray!" for the hackers.

But seriously, when are guys going to learn that women really don't post on sites like that?

The problem I have with these numbers are what were the guys getting from this service then? Woman just like men using dating sites so you are always going to have that pretty decent split there. Now here you are using a site for cheating, ok same concept still dating site of a different kind. But still you need people to connect with.. If 95% of the people where males the split is 30.4 million male, 1.6 million females. or 1 female for every 19 guys. So either the woman on there were connecting with 10 - 20 guys each or most people paying for this service got nothing in return.

As for people saying that woman don't post on sites like this. Woman cheat in relationships also. That isn't just something that males do.

The problem I have with these numbers are what were the guys getting from this service then? Woman just like men using dating sites so you are always going to have that pretty decent split there. Now here you are using a site for cheating, ok same concept still dating site of a different kind. But still you need people to connect with.. If 95% of the people where males the split is 30.4 million male, 1.6 million females. or 1 female for every 19 guys. So either the woman on there were connecting with 10 - 20 guys each or most people paying for this service got nothing in return.

As for people saying that woman don't post on sites like this. Woman cheat in relationships also. That isn't just something that males do.

I remember someone posting in response to a comment I made cheating men and how I should wait until the Ashley Madison data came out to find out that I was wrong. It looks like I was right. :D Anyway, yes women cheat in relationships, but men are much, MUCH more prone to it in the same way men are predisposed to violent crime and cause more fatal car accidents. It's just the way their brains and hormones work which prolly goes back to them fitting their role in the world where they go out and kill stuff to drag back to the cave. We're not really that far away from that kinda past so it makes sense that there hasn't been adaptation away from that basic model yet...though it does imply that women are naturally more well suited to existing within civilized, modern society.

I think the point most of were making her is that they generally don't need to post to sites if they want to cheat. Not if they are going to give it up for free.

No.... I'm sure they mean the situation for them is different that they wouldn't need the site.

I remember someone posting in response to a comment I made cheating men and how I should wait until the Ashley Madison data came out to find out that I was wrong. It looks like I was right. :D Anyway, yes women cheat in relationships, but men are much, MUCH more prone to it in the same way men are predisposed to violent crime and cause more fatal car accidents. It's just the way their brains and hormones work which prolly goes back to them fitting their role in the world where they go out and kill stuff to drag back to the cave. We're not really that far away from that kinda past so it makes sense that there hasn't been adaptation away from that basic model yet...though it does imply that women are naturally more well suited to existing within civilized, modern society.

The reason that men are more likely to have a car accident is because they log more miles in cars. The reason that men die more often to violent crimes is because they are being killed by women or fighting over women. Women are not as likely to cheat, but there is not that large of a difference between the sexes. Most studies place it at 10-20%.

I to find this interesting. If I am paying for a service and then find out that the service that was being offered I would consider going after ALM for that.

I call BS on this. I have 2 email addresses confirmed on there, plus my work one. Never been to the site, never received an email from them... Out of ~8 email addresses that I use (some for spam, some just sit there), 3 of them were on there? BS. It's an email harvester.

I call BS on this. I have 2 email addresses confirmed on there, plus my work one. Never been to the site, never received an email from them...

Sure you haven't. ;) In all seriousness I'm really not sure what a list like this means other than just another hack for profit. The integrity of the data and the hackers involved is near zero.

I call BS on this. I have 2 email addresses confirmed on there, plus my work one. Never been to the site, never received an email from them... Out of ~8 email addresses that I use (some for spam, some just sit there), 3 of them were on there? BS. It's an email harvester.

Someone signing you up out of hatred? Or the act of you entering an email to check adds you to the list because they figure anyone who didn't use the site won't bother checking at all since they know they didn't use the site :D

Really I have to side with the hackers here.
A site that enables people to cheat in on their spouse.
Bad for everyone.

And I'm sick of people saying "it's nothing illegal"
As if legality=morality.

But for a amoral society that is the rational.

The reason that men are more likely to have a car accident is because they log more miles in cars. The reason that men die more often to violent crimes is because they are being killed by women or fighting over women. Women are not as likely to cheat, but there is not that large of a difference between the sexes. Most studies place it at 10-20%.

What studies?

Most if the ones I have read in recent years shoe that women are more likely to cheat than men are.

http://www.yourtango.com/201172881/women-more-likely-cheat-men-heres-why

My email address? Fine. My work email address? I couldn't even get the email if I wanted to sign up. I can't even get to the site as it's blocked. No way I could use it if I wanted to. So, either it's just BS or it was created using another email list to sign people up randomly...

I'm just pissed that not a single woman ever emailed me. Not even Ashley herself. Dammit.

I'm claiming BS on this as well. 32 million accounts. 95% men. 50% of US population is male. It means that 20% of men are cheating or at least looking to cheat?

Take a look around where you work and ask if that makes sense to you. Sure, there may be some guys you might peg as being that scummy, but 20%? I doubt it.

I'd have expected a lot more women, but women really don't have to use something like that. They just go outside and men will hit on them...

20% of men looking to cheat using this site. There are a ton more that aren't using the site. So, one site on the internet for cheating is getting 20% of total men? Yea, that's not too believable. It's not 20% of men wanting to cheat. It's 20% of men wanting to cheat AND using that one site to do so. No way.

The 20% seems nutty. Especially one site claiming 20% of American men are cheaters AND use this site.

You guys are ignoring a possibility:

Single men, hoping to pretend they're in a relationship, so they can meet women who want to mess with married men. Are there people that desperate? Yeah.

Also, where are you guys getting this 20% of the US male population using the site stuff? Was it a website for US residents only? I've never been to the site and don't intend to. But I've never noticed anything in their stupid commercials that seems like it's exclusive to the US.

The 20% seems nutty. Especially one site claiming 20% of American men are cheaters AND use this site.

I would expect it to be more like 30-40% and large numbers are using other stuff like Craigslist hookups and junk. I'm pretty sure like there are very few men who don't think about cheating constantly.

The reason that men die more often to violent crimes is because they are being killed by women or fighting over women. Women are not as likely to cheat, but there is not that large of a difference between the sexes. Most studies place it at 10-20%.

Men die more often to violent crime...from women killing them? That's an interesting claim.

You guys are ignoring a possibility:

Single men, hoping to pretend they're in a relationship, so they can meet women who want to mess with married men. Are there people that desperate? Yeah.

Also, where are you guys getting this 20% of the US male population using the site stuff? Was it a website for US residents only? I've never been to the site and don't intend to. But I've never noticed anything in their stupid commercials that seems like it's exclusive to the US.

32M e-mails, even if the same people signed up multiple times; I'm claiming BS as well. They had to have harvested e-mails, marketing lists, something, to come up with that number.

I'm not sure how accurate this is. I made up a few random addresses, including a few from a domain I just registered a few weeks ago and it said 3 of the 5 were on the list, lol.

Men die more often to violent crime...from women killing them? That's an interesting claim.

32M e-mails, even if the same people signed up multiple times; I'm claiming BS as well. They had to have harvested e-mails, marketing lists, something, to come up with that number.

Yeah, I got the 32M emails part. I was asking where you guys are getting that it somehow indicates 20% of the US male population. Unless the site was exclusive to US residents, you can't claim that it has anything to do with 20% of the US male population, and I've seen nothing to indicate that the site was exclusively for US residents. I even agree that tons of those email addresses were probably just mailing lists for marketing, but that still doesn't answer the question about it being exclusive to US residents.

Read in another article there were tens of thousands of .gov and .mil addresses. If you seriously signed up for that with your military or government domain...but sadly not surprised.

Combine this, the OPM breach, let the blackmailing and espionage begin (or continue, I guess...)

The webmail address I've used since 1997 isn't on there. So if it's a webcrawled list it sucks, because I'm on most of them.

Not surprised about the 95% mark. I don't profess to know a ton about women, but I think the ones that want to cheat just call up an old boyfriend or hit up a cute coworker. Getting with strangers from the Internet in a one on one sitch...pretty scary. Heck I had some scary moments meeting girls back in the chat room days. Never messed with the "married but looking" ladies...figured they had a screw loose (this is not a double entendre).

Clearly its 95% men... because their email harvester targets men, and they pay for emails of more men. As others have said women looking to cheat don't really need AM. Most men had a hard enough time winning the first girl over. lol AM knows men are more likely to open their wallets, Its the same reason those old phone conversation lines back in the 90s allowed women free access. Its not that women would never be on such a thing, its that they had no reason to pay for something they could get for free with little effort. AM may be morally questionable, however they are still entitled to privacy. As much as I don't feel sorry for people using AM, I can't be to "they got what they deserved" about it, morality is always in the eye of the beholder.

As a student, I worked for a month at another major "dating" site geared solely towards sex. I learned about 2 weeks in that 99% of their female profiles were fake as well and generated by the site. Left shortly after that.

every woman with a husband will be hitting this https://ashleymadisonleakeddata.com/

I got a question about this site.

Why is it a .com url?

I was actually tempted to check my own email addy because it's not like I am the only one who knows it, but, I have no confidence this website is actually checking my email address against the hacked data. It could just be collecting email addresses for whatever purpose. Add myself to a new spam listing for my trouble.

And, why again is this a .com url?

As a student, I worked for a month at another major "dating" site geared solely towards sex. I learned about 2 weeks in that 99% of their female profiles were fake as well and generated by the site. Left shortly after that.
The article suggests some tomfoolery at AM too: the author couldn't find female names in the credit card data when browsing through it, suggesting that even 5% of "females" in the data is over-counted.

AFF?

A lot of dating sites fake the female profiles. I think even Match.com got busted for it at one point. Things are starting to shift a tad and it's not considered taboo to meet someone online, so there's more females signing up now.

Back