Hackers Can Hijack Your Car With $26 Device

Sucks that companies are stuffing all this unnecessary tech in stuff like cars and not really considering security. This particular hack is kinda useless as they have to break into the car anyway, but there are a lot of hacks now where people can unlock the doors and stuff. I guess if they really want it they'll break a window anyway or hold you at gun point while you're driving it.

How is this any different then any other ECU hack? Car tuners have been doing this for ages?

I got an 84 truck, an 89 sedan, and a 95 hatchback. They are all paid for, in great shape, and inexpensive to insure, plus they can't be stolen with a $26 gadget, nor would anyone want to steal them. Think about it ...

How is this any different then any other ECU hack? Car tuners have been doing this for ages?

The differences is, contactless keyfob replication. There was Defcon talk about a BMW x5 or Lincoln suv thing, I forget. Where, with a micro controller and some rf antennas, I can wait on bench until someone with stealable car rolls up. I can pass by them when they are getting out of the car with my satchel bag of RF antennas acting like I'm the Car. That "I'm a Car" request is easily captured because a car is always looking for a key to authenticate with. The key will then try to authenticate with me and I capture the key. Since that particular car has the feature where as long as the key was in your pocket you can drive the car. The RF antennas can then turn from Host to slave mode and broadcast the key's authentication code. I can then walk up to the car that unlocks because of proximity and start it up and drive away.

It turns out that some of these proximity keys have circuits that have predictable clock edges. So while the first model is hard to crack and kind of has to be done by someone that has time with the car and key, they eventually can post the that particular car models configuration.

Also, Car thief's are weird, they stole my 80's caprice with a fist, pry bar, and some knowledge of how that car works. Less than 7 minutes.

Manual Transmission reminds me of the phrase 'Security by Obscurity'. It doesn't work. Welcome to the world.

I got an 84 truck, an 89 sedan, and a 95 hatchback. They are all paid for, in great shape, and inexpensive to insure, plus they can't be stolen with a $26 gadget, nor would anyone want to steal them. Think about it ...

Why wouldn't someone want to steal them? Most cars are stolen because they're easy to steal, not because they're valuable or nice, and it would most likely cost a lot less than $26 to steal those cars(screwdrivers and pry-bars are cheap).

http://www.winnipeg.ca/police/TakeAction/auto_theft.stm

Over 87% of vehicles stolen in Winnipeg are recovered. These stolen vehicles are typically used for transportation, thrill seeking, or to commit other crimes.

Over 50% of all thefts involve vehicles that were manufactured prior to 2002. Approximately 10% of all stolen vehicles are three years old or less.

Not saying it is. That's just how I interpreted his post. I'm not quite sure why your calling me delusional.....
Not you, but anyone who uses that as a form of security.

I can drive a manual and so can my wife and everybody I've taught has picked it up pretty quick.
I don't drive a manual, I have never owned a car with a manual transmission, however times when I've had to move a car with a manual transmission it wasn't terribly difficult to do.

Back