Hacker Leaks Entire Season of Netflix Show after Extortion Demand Not Met

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
A hacker group called The Dark Overlord has reportedly leaked the entire fifth season of Orange is the New Black after Netflix failed to pay them 50 BTC ($66,142). This is probably a big upset for the streaming company, as the episodes were not set to debut until June. Interestingly, the hacker group supposedly has their hands on “hundreds of GBs of unreleased and non-public media,” as their infiltration point was a Hollywood studio.

DataBreaches.net was able to determine that the victim studio was Larson Studios, Inc., an award-winning audio post-production studio in Hollywood. TDO would later confirm their identity. TDO would not reveal the attack method nor how much the ransom demand was, but DataBreaches.net was able to obtain a copy of a contract both TDO and a representative of Larson allegedly signed. The contract, signed December 27, indicated that the studio would pay TDO 50 BTC by January 31. TDO signed the contract as “Adolf Hitler.” The signature of the company representative was indecipherable, but TDO claimed that it was the CFO of the firm who signed.

Don't watch the show but i heard it got terrible by S3, and how is netflix really going to "suffer" from a show releasing 2 months early?

....how is netflix really going to "suffer" from a show releasing 2 months early?

Person was going to pay Netflix monthly service to watch show.
Person hears show is leaked early, and from a source outside of Netflix.
Person downloads show early instead of paying Netflix to watch show.
Netflix does not get paid for a show they paid to make.

Any questions?

Can you imagine the kind of damage, if someone managed to hack the next marvel movie, and then released it months early. Would cost the studio 100mil+ in lost sales.
Guess its just a matter of time before something like that happens.

Can you imagine the kind of damage, if someone managed to hack the next marvel movie, and then released it months early. Would cost the studio 100mil+ in lost sales.
Pretty sure I watched X-Men Origins: Wolverine at least weeks before it came out. It didn't have some finishing work at the end but it was enough for me not to see it again for many years.

So it's happened before. Before everyone jumps down my throat I haven't torrented in like 5 years.

Any questions?

Nobody pays for Netflix to watch a single show. Either the person already has Netflix or they dont.

I dont see this hurting Netflix at all.

Any questions?
If person already knows how to steal shows they were never ever thinking about paying for them.

The financial impact over this to Netflix's bottom line will be non-existent to negligible.

No further questions.

Rumors abound that Netflix might be involved with this as a marketing/publicity stunt to drum up increased interest so who knows, and I was about to say the same thing as leeleatherwood just said above: people don't just sign up for a month of Netflix just to marathon one season of one show then move on and cancel, that's not how it works.

Yes it's bad that this happened (if it's a legit breach of security) but honestly because of how Netflix works I can't see it seriously causing any kind of financial damage overall, it'll probably just make the 3rd season of the show more popular in the long run.

Pretty sure I watched X-Men Origins: Wolverine at least weeks before it came out. It didn't have some finishing work at the end but it was enough for me not to see it again for many years.

So it's happened before. Before everyone jumps down my throat I haven't torrented in like 5 years.

This↑↑↑↑
Except I still torrent everyday. Arrgg me matey.
And I'm dling the OISTNB right now, thxs for the heads up.

Last edited:

That's some Hollywood anti-piracy numbers. It wouldn't cost them that much. Sure, many would likely download and watch it, but not $100mil worth. They'd still rake in hundreds of millions because their core audience would still go to the theater in droves.

People vastly over estimate the amount of people that do pirate.

LOL. Obviously a publicity stunt by Netflix to get some more OITNB viewership increases. ;)

Hey, I like Netflix, but 66K? That's studio lunch money for a day. (Okay, I have no friggin' clue what their budgets are. But it sounds good. ;) )

Nobody pays for Netflix to watch a single show. Either the person already has Netflix or they dont.

I dont see this hurting Netflix at all.

I know people that are signing up for CBS access just for Star Trek. I also know people that have signed up for a few months of Netflix only to what one or two shows then cancel again. I only subscribe to TV service during the time that Game of Thrones is on HBO then cancel that.

Rumors abound that Netflix might be involved with this as a marketing/publicity stunt to drum up increased interest so who knows, and I was about to say the same thing as leeleatherwood just said above: people don't just sign up for a month of Netflix just to marathon one season of one show then move on and cancel, that's not how it works.

Yes it's bad that this happened (if it's a legit breach of security) but honestly because of how Netflix works I can't see it seriously causing any kind of financial damage overall, it'll probably just make the 3rd season of the show more popular in the long run.

So Netflix leaked their own stuff then hacked into CBS and the other companies and stole their stuff also as part of a stunt? Damn that is a pretty fucked up stunt for them. Can't wait to see how much they get sued for that action and how much jail time is handed out.

So Netflix leaked their own stuff then hacked into CBS and the other companies and stole their stuff also as part of a stunt? Damn that is a pretty fucked up stunt for them. Can't wait to see how much they get sued for that action and how much jail time is handed out.

No, it plays the long game. They leak out this season, especially if it's considered a "good" season to get people hooked so they subscribe for NEXT year, or to see old episodes.

why pay for anything of these? Kodi+Exodus+internet works for me. When that gets banned oh well. Leak the walking dead or something that's decent. The latest XXX movie sucked. And I thought part 2 was bad. If your shit gets leaked blame your IT people. Or allow a few bucks in the budget for ransom bullshit. I would love to see Hollywood be brought down to it's knees one day. Greedy mother fuckers deserve everything they get. Fuck'em.

Handled correctly this is free publicity for Netflix.
Now if this was say Game of Thrones, that would be a different story. People sign up for HBO when the new season drops and cancel after they finish watching.
I'm going to sign up to watch GoT and cancel. I'm also signing up for Starz to watch American Gods - then cancelling as I don't see much else I'm interested in.

Pretty sure I murdered someone while I watched X-Men Origins: Wolverine at least weeks before it came out. It didn't have some finishing work at the end but it was enough for me not to see it again for many years.

So it's happened before. Before everyone jumps down my throat I haven't murdered in like 5 years.

Crime is crime. See the difference?

Before anyone jumps down my throat, I haven't pirated in like 5 years.

Any questions?
No questions. Just corrections:

Person who doesn't have a netflix subscription won't subscribe for a show's 5th season.
Person who doesn't have a netflix subscription but already saw season 1-4 most likely got those from alternative sources as well
Person who have a netflix subscription and saw season 1-4 from netflix, won't cancel his subscription just because one show he watches has became available elsewhere.

So to sum up. If someone wanted netflix to loose money this is probably the worst way to do it. The only way I see this looses them money is if they had paid the ransom. So they were wise not to pay.

Netflix should have just released it before him.

Horribly boring show anyway. I couldn't even finish the second season. I really doubt anyone is keeping their account active, simply for this POS show.

No, it plays the long game. They leak out this season, especially if it's considered a "good" season to get people hooked so they subscribe for NEXT year, or to see old episodes.

but you are skipping part of the events here. Stuff from Netflix, CBS and 3 or so other companies where all stolen and uploaded together. So if Netflix did this as a stunt that means they stole from the other people also.

I don't agree with what you did not because of torrenting but because I see 0 point in ruining a movie like that for myself. If I don't think it's worth seeing in theatre or I don't want to ruin the experience being surrounded by idiots in the theatre I will gladly wait for the bluray release and see a good copy in my own home theatre.

Same reason why I still find it so strange people will watch a shitty cam rip, if you have so little interest in seeing the movie that your willing to watch a shit quality version why even waste your time seeing it?

Now do A Different World. Show should have never been removed. Especially since it's not completely available anywhere else, paid or otherwise.

Sweet I was gonna sign up for a Netflix account just to watch Orange but since it's already leaked.... LOL

images

please please please please please please.

Any questions?
I bet 90% of netflix users have no idea where to download the files and if they found them have no clue what to do with a torrent.

for 9.99 CAD a month i wouldn't even bother TBH.

yeah i could download it but quite frankly i already pay for netflix so why bother.. but netflix did screw it up, when they got the ransom they should of instantly released the show on netflix as a big eff you to them and thus netflix and the fans of the show win out over the hackers.

happened with sony and a few movies and still posted record global ticket sales with those movies but of course sony cried about the lost profits..

Meh. Call me a sappy goody-two-shoes but I don't pirate anything unless it's simply not available through any legal means, ie. a ROM, and even then it's rare.

I'm not that instant gratification that a month or two wait is going to....I mean....

A-DoMcjCMAA8rr9.jpg

I don't agree with what you did not because of torrenting but because I see 0 point in ruining a movie like that for myself. If I don't think it's worth seeing in theatre or I don't want to ruin the experience being surrounded by idiots in the theatre I will gladly wait for the bluray release and see a good copy in my own home theatre.

Same reason why I still find it so strange people will watch a shitty cam rip, if you have so little interest in seeing the movie that your willing to watch a shit quality version why even waste your time seeing it?
The movie was shit. Sooooo quality? Meh.

Definitely the worst of the MCU movies IMO. Even gambit couldn't save that movie and the deadpool character spawned the deadpool movie. Other than that? No thank you.

Back