Hacker Exposed Thousands Of Insecure Desktops

HardOCP News

[H] News
Most of you guys know that you should always secure your VNC (Virtual Network Computing) connection by using a username and password. It's just common sense. This is an old topic that rears its ugly head every so often but people still don't learn that, if you don't use a password for VNC, you could end up compromised. At the very least, screenshots of your desktop and you IP could end up on one of these websites.

Revolver created a script that cycled through IP addresses and select ports on his own server, which tries to connect to unsecured servers through a web-based VNC viewer. If the script finds an available connection without any authentication, it will connect and grab a screenshot, otherwise the script will kill the session and move to a different IP address. After thousands of successful connections, he now has about 23 gigabytes of screenshots saved.

Terrorists use usernames and passwords so....think of the children. If you have nothing to hide, not using usernames and passwords is nothing to fear.

#EndPasswordPrompts

VPNs provide an encrypted tunnel for network traffic. Terrorists and drug dealers might use them!

They must be banned, for the safety of children! Save us, Senator Feinstein!

VPNs provide an encrypted tunnel for network traffic. Terrorists and drug dealers might use them!

They must be banned, for the safety of children! Save us, Emperor Feinstein!

FTFY.

Secure your shit. Even if it's just a simple password, it's better than nothing like this. Having a script just try and connect with no authentication? That's easy. So easy to add a password, too.

They must be banned, for the safety of children! Save us, Senator Feinstein!

what do VPNs have to do with VNC?

We use RealVNC.

I use Teamviewer for my personal stuff (RDP to the home server, though).

Anyone have a recommended VNC. UltraVNC keeps giving me issues with Win10.

I use TightVNC server on my Windows 2012 R2.
Clients I use regularly to connect are TightVNC client on work win7, TightVNC client on home win10, Jump for my Android (use to use Jump for BB10).

I will try Real and Tight. I am looking for speed being local server control. Will try them out. Thanks.

I am used to traditional VNC, what is Teamviewer best suited, and not suited for?
I always thought it was for games.

Back