Ha my mom went ape over some games

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only time my dad gave me a look was when I got gta 3 for pc when it came out. I gave it to teh store clerk and hes like to my dad "Its rated M you know that right?" My dads like looking at me, then like yeah sure". I was like cool. My parents understand I can control my gaming..

My 3 year old brother cant see games with guns though. Im going to wait till he is smart enough to understand you dont play with guns outside of the pc.

I agree with your mother's decision. I don't think those games are suitable for an 11 year old child. The Mature rating is there for a reason. :rolleyes:

god damn ladies journal, that shit affected my mom too. Moms now adays, i swear, those articles affect them more then video games do kids. She is the same way, except SHE CANT STOP ME....lol ;)

Just curious as to how old are you?

I never had problems with games and my parents. In fact, when I was about 8 we had the cool 386 running Windows 3.1 for workgroups. My dad picked up this cool game called Doom Hell on Earth. :D Well, we didn't have a 3.5 floppy, so $90 later and we were ready to install it. Spent about 30 hours trying to get the thing configured right. Finally got it ghetto rigged and working and try to install and find out we dont have enough memory. $90 later and we've got 2mb of memory and we're set to install. Nother error pops up saying our version of windows wont work with Doom! Ahh!!!!! Apparently "For Workgroups" prevented it from running.

I do agree that parents should watch out for M rated games for children. I dont see a big problem with MP2 for an 11yr old as long as the parent monitors the child's game play. Also, some M rated games have setting to control violence so thats a plus. However, I don't think I would give my child Doom3. That gets a little too mature. Sometimes games are rated a little to high but its really up to the parents to investigate and make the right decision. Just remember that she's only trying to look out for you guys and protect you. May not always make the right choices, but I'm sure she's doing her best.

Actually your mom is really wise. Max Payne 2 even if not excessively bloody isn´t suitable for an 11 year old boy. Streets of L.A I never heard of and Half Life can be pretty scary too.

Jesus christ. This is one of the many things that is FUCKED up with the media.

Half-Life was rated M? What the hell...

I'm gonna have to stand by your mom on this one. While the rating system isn't perfect, it's there for a reason and does a pretty good job most of the time and she's taking an interest in the type of entertainment her children partake in. It's called being responsible. My sister was playing Half-Life when she was probably about 11 or 12 but my parents knew what she was doing and made a judgement call based on what they knew about her maturity/resposibility and what they saw in the game. Your mom may have over-reacted a bit but I think that she did better that way than if she had just turned a blind eye.

Making your bro return the games was good. Making a big fuss about it is rediculous. I mean, how can you expect an 11 year old to be responsible with $150? That's the parent's job, don't bitch at the kid.

Originally posted by xbreaka
so im in the mall wit my bro whos about 11 and he brought 150$ into best buy wit me and i went to go pick up some case fans and i was like go get whatever games u want and ill come back and pay for em. so i got my fan came back, he had half-life(pc),streets of l.a.(gc) and max payne(gc). So i pay for em we get back out and my ma like peeks into his bag and shes like holy shit these are all rated m, im like mom calm down there just games. She starts screamin and causin a scene we get home i get bitched at and my bro starts cryin, what ended up happenin was that we had to bring all of em back the next day and my ma took away my wireless access point. All of that over a few games. God parents these days are fucken riudiculous

Her screaming and causing a scene (assuming you're not exaggerating) was not a good thing, but returning the games was appropriate (and punishing you, as well, if her policies were such that you should've damn well known that you shouldn't have been buying those games for your brother without specific parental consent).

Consider yourself lucky. Whatever faults she may have, she's not a complete idiot of a parent.

Just be glad your mom cares....

Some kids are not lucky enough to have a parent that will even pay attention to what they are doing or get into

dude
all i have to say is i am very sorry for your loss
i am glad my mom and dad aren't like that. but what can i say
if your mom keeps doing shit like that. i know for a fact your going to get in her face about it. oh well

also when you have kids don't do that to them. i have a 4 and a 2 year old
hehe my 4 year plays UT2K3 with me
my wife gets a little mad but hey it's better than the kids watching TV all day long. oh well
parents need to chill out

Originally posted by Skittza24
Just be glad your mom cares....

Some kids are not lucky enough to have a parent that will even pay attention to what they are doing or get into

Agreed.

The games arent the problem at all, if children at the age of eleven don't understand the diffrence between right and wrong and then what happens to you when you do act out what is seen in video games, movies,tv, ect ect, its the parents fault for not teaching thier children whats right and whats wrong, not some video game.

The rating system is only there for parents that don't have time to flip over the box and read what the game is about, since more times than not, you can read what the back and get a good idea of what your buying.

Remember , in america its hard for anyone to take responsibility for their actions, hince parents blaming their kids actions and the kids inability to control themselves on video games, movies, ect ect

Lotsa idiots here. :)

"damn yo that suxorz, 2 bad ur brother cant play teh grand theft autoz"

Ive been exposed to violent movies/games/etc since before i was 11 and Ive never had the urge to kill or harm anyone for no reason, I turned out pretty good actually. No offense but your mom is over reacting, big time. And all you people that agree with her are very wrong imo. My father did a damn good job of raising me, teacing me right from wrong. Maybe if someone doesnt have the ability/skills to teach their children properly then in that case maybe they shouldnt let their children be exposed to violence...

Originally posted by finalgt
Lotsa idiots here. :)

"damn yo that suxorz, 2 bad ur brother cant play teh grand theft autoz"
No not really. He has a parent that is involved enough to care. Which is not the norm anymore. I see that with my cousin who is 17, he is allowed to basically do what he wants and, gets what he wants. He is under motivated and, to me will be a useless member of society. While I hated my parents and, their discipline, as, I have aged, I see the merit in what they did. Many of my friends who were allowed to run wild, are either dead or, working dead end jobs and, never achieving anything.
While it is a pain in the ass now. Later you will see it was good overall, in the great scheme of life.

Er, the quotation marks were making fun of all the people taking the 11 year old weiner's side. I know it's a good thing.

Sorry it is early and, I was out too late, having a Happy Brew Year. But then leave it for the people instantly sididng with the kid.

Originally posted by Raven01
Ive been exposed to violent movies/games/etc since before i was 11 and Ive never had the urge to kill or harm anyone for no reason, I turned out pretty good actually. No offense but your mom is over reacting, big time. And all you people that agree with her are very wrong imo. My father did a damn good job of raising me, teacing me right from wrong. Maybe if someone doesnt have the ability/skills to teach their children properly then in that case maybe they shouldnt let their children be exposed to violence...
Right, but was it because your parents didn't care what you were doing or rather that they knew you to be responsible enough to not be stupid and imitate? If you were well raised, I'm thinking it's prbably the latter. This guy's mom may be over-reacting, but we don't have any indication as to the rest of her policies so I'm willing to default to the parent taking an interest in her children. Maybe she's not confident that she's taught her son well enough to not be an idiot. She may not be completely right, but given the information, she's seems justified.

Wow, when I was 11, Wolfenstein on the 486 was all the craze, I played it tons and my parents didn't care... I also saw R rated movies, parents didn't care...

now today everyone is such a media whore that they are stupid enough to believe that Max Payne or GTA or whatever video game violence is the reason why some kids tweek.

People need to wake up and think for themselves once in a while :rolleyes:

It may same unreasonable to you, but I can see where your mom is going at. At least she's showing that she cares :p

LOL

there was this friend of a friend, who was like 13 (when i was bout 14 in 8th grade)

We went over his house and we brought some ps games to play.

his mom was like "are those m-rated games?"

na.......

fucking RE, she wouldn't let a 13yr old play resident evil......

man, there are BOOKS that have worse things in them that people are encouraged to read....

Originally posted by Kakyoin
My mom used to play GoldenEye with me and my cousins :D

Mine too. I played violent games and I turned out fine.,

You are a moron for buying the games for your brother.

It is obvious you are exaggerating your mom's reaction.

Your mom is very wise for holding her ground and not being a push over. The games are rated M for a reason.

Stop being an emo fuck complaining about her being brainwashed by the media and accept your faults.

My parents did a pretty good job (so far) of raising me in the fact that early on they didnt let me watch R movies or play M games. I only really started watching R movies in like 6th grade when i knew right from wrong and like with M games my mom just doesn't really care anymore. She sees the game and says "matt thats disgusting" as a melee a guy in cs.hah. SO yeah I take the moms side. It's her decision how to raise her child andif she doesnt think he is mature enough to be virtually killing people then he is not. I know that every person who sees or plays violence doesnt become violentbut it can lead to tendencies like bullying. prolly like 1/1000 people are affected. So ya. Maybe she can chill a little bit and learn to see how mature he is and if he can play these games

</rant>

yah, your mom is right on this one, there is a reason games are rated M, granted the game rating system sux, but its good to see some parents actually pay attention to it. causing a scene is never a good thing, but i can see why she was mad. maybe when he is a year or two older your parents will let you buy him those games.

While many of you have definite feelings on this and are willing to emphasize your stance with namecalling to make a point, I would strongly advise against that course of action. Word ;)

HL is not a bad game at all.

I was playing wolfinstien 3d, Rise of the triad, doom 1 and 2, and quake 1 at that age.

I can totally understand how she feels on streets of LA, maybe max payne, but, seriously, HL is a very softcore game, yeah, there is some violence, but there is no crime/murder/swaering/language/dialog like on the toher games.

Sorry, but the ratings system is there for a reason, and those games are posterchilds (with the possible exception of Half-Life) for it. Be thankful you have an informed mom who cares.

i agree with ur mom , i wouldnt let my little brother play those games , i didnt let him play stuff like GTA when he was like 10 cuz its really not appropriate for that age group.

maybe the flipping out and causing a scene wasnt the best way to handle it but then again ur mom was probably shocked felt u should know better than that , and reacted accordingly

Its things like this that make me believe society is going downhill. The fact that PARENTS believe these so called child experts that a GAME can affect your child’s view on reality really pisses me off. Do you guys not think that his little brother is seeing worse images on TV? They have Violence, Sex, and Drugs on T.V and the highest rating is TV14 (not considering HBO etc...). I'm sure when all of you where 11 and in middle school you have heard swear words hell even TV is allowed to use a few.

See the reason that I find this wrong is that it is only a game. When I was 11 and playing duke nukem 3d, doom, and watching R rated movies. I did not want to go and start killing people. I knew in my mind that it was a game. Parents nowadays do not give little kids credit on their intelligence. You would be surprised out how much of the world they can and do understand. Hell I've met little kids with more intelligence then their parents. (I'm sure some of you have also.)

That is why when I see parents freaking out about a mature rated game, or some so called child expert on CNN talking about how it has corrupted children. I just laugh and am amazed that people blame their parenting skills on a game, music, or movie. But what are we to do? That is the way the world is nowadays. All parents believe that their children are perfect and no matter what their kids do (even if their kids are wrong). The parent will shift the blame on something else.

When parents see a mature rating, they don't for the most part think violence, they think sex.................

Originally posted by torment
Wow...glad I'm in college.

Hehe...word. Although, now that I think about it, my parents never really cared what type of games I played as a kid because they knew it had little to no affect on me. :cool:

It sucks for you man. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back