Ha! Kyle's Ultra-X died

jaffy

[H] Custodian
Check the front page, Kyle's Ultra X-connect PSU died.

We told ya Kyle :) Might I recommend a PCP&C?

(sorry for all the edits, I'm on lots of meds right now, kinda out of it)

I have one and it's still running, and gets more stable voltage than my Enermax 300, Antec 430W and Fortron 530 (recently sold)

luck of the draw, I guess

ScHpAnKy said:
I have one and it's still running, and gets more stable voltage than my Enermax 300, Antec 430W and Fortron 530 (recently sold)
Until it blows out on you. :D

dandragonrage said:
All good PSUs have stable voltage, but not all PSUs with stable voltages are good.

What do you mean by stable ?

Are you saying that all PSU's can keep their 3.3/5/12 V rails at the same voltage under load ?

I beg to differ. The only PSU's that are capable of doing that are the PC P&C PSU's and I can record a video to prove it.

This may be so but my Antec keeps my rails all within 1-2% under all conditions and that's stable enough to make the cost of a PCP&C PSU unjustifiable. They might not constanly be dead on 3.3v, 5.0v and 12.0v but hell, for $100+ less I'm not going to bitch.

Not only PCP&C can do it. Just because PCP&C can do a better job than other PSUs (even the other "good" ones) doesn't mean that EVERY other PSU has unstable voltages.

I bought a 600W Ultra 2 months ago and it's still going!

Despite the facts that when I pulled it outta the box it said it was rated at 570W, and the blue LED fan in back has an intermittent blink instead of the steady ON it's suppose to be.

But I don't mind!

Anything was better than the 4yr old 300W generic that was in there.

saturnine2 said:

I've had a PCP&C die on me, so stopped using them for a while. Ultimately went back to them for my 510-SLI. Any PSU can fail, not matter its quality or price. Hell, imagine the uproar if Kyle had a PCP&C PSU fail. :rolleyes:

I ragged on him in another thread about buying the thing a while back and i guess Ultra's reputation finally caught up with him lol.

mohammedtaha said:
What do you mean by stable ?

Are you saying that all PSU's can keep their 3.3/5/12 V rails at the same voltage under load ?

I beg to differ. The only PSU's that are capable of doing that are the PC P&C PSU's and I can record a video to prove it.

By stable it means does not fluctuated from their base output versus under load.

No PC Power and Cooling are not the only ones they are just rated for the least variation from the spec at 1%. The Antec Truepower series are rated at 3% and spec compliance is 5%. I have PSU's other than PC Power and Cooling that do not budge under load (but not any modular ones.....however the modular do remain in spec). PSU's from a variety of manufacturers can be dead on but be rated for more varaince from 3.3/5/12.

What kind of video do you have? Are you taking a multimeter reading?

burningrave101 said:
I ragged on him in another thread about buying the thing a while back and i guess Ultra's reputation finally caught up with him lol.

Congrats, here's 1 cookie.

madmat said:
This may be so but my Antec keeps my rails all within 1-2% under all conditions and that's stable enough to make the cost of a PCP&C PSU unjustifiable. They might not constanly be dead on 3.3v, 5.0v and 12.0v but hell, for $100+ less I'm not going to bitch.

I'm not saying within 1-2%. This PSU is rock stable. It does not budge from 12.00V load or idle.

Spectre said:
By stable it means does not fluctuated from their base output versus under load.

No PC Power and Cooling are not the only ones they are just rated for the least variation from the spec at 1%. The Antec Truepower series are rated at 3% and spec compliance is 5%. I have PSU's other than PC Power and Cooling that do not budge under load (but not any modular ones.....however the modular do remain in spec). PSU's from a variety of manufacturers can be dead on but be rated for more varaince from 3.3/5/12.

What kind of video do you have? Are you taking a multimeter reading?

Yes, this thing is @ 12.00V Idle, & 12.00V load. I have an X800 XT PE video card 2 hd's, 1 cd burner and 2 fans and 2x 512 ocz plat. pc 3200 rev. 2 ram. CPU: P4 3.2E

All my readings are using a digital multimeter.

mohammedtaha said:
Yes, this thing is @ 12.00V Idle, & 12.00V load. I have an X800 XT PE video card 2 hd's, 1 cd burner and 2 fans and 2x 512 ocz plat. pc 3200 rev. 2 ram. CPU: P4 3.2E

All my readings are using a digital multimeter.

Ok and? I can go to my workbench at home and record a Zippy that does the same, and a Seasonic...........

PC Power and Cooling is not the only company that has supplies that can do it....they are simply rated for the least variance from the spec.

Spectre said:
Ok and? I can go to my workbench at home and record a Zippy that does the same, and a Seasonic...........

PC Power and Cooling is not the only company that has supplies that can do it....they are simply rated for the least variance from the spec.

How many watts are the Zippy and the Seasonic ? On what systems are you testing them?

mohammedtaha said:
How many watts are the Zippy and the Seasonic ? On what systems are you testing them?

It is a Zippy HG2-6400P in the workstation used for hydraulic modeling. I can pull the system when I get home but off of the top of my head it is a Xeon 2.8, Quadro FX 1100, 2GB, Pioneer 104 DVD-RW, and I think it is all SCSI on the drives(I'll have to check on that). My room mate works from home. I'll be back in a few.

Look .. don't get me wrong.

I'm not saying that all PSU's suck.

There are some that are ok. Some that are better than ok, and there are those that rarely dissapoint.

Zippy PSU's are known to be good. PC P&C are known to be good. I rarely hear complaints from either one.

Antec's are good, yes but they're not the best out there. If you want to save money, I would say buy an Enermax.

As for me, I love o/cing and the last thing I want is an unstable PSU or one that fluctuates under load.

Had I the enough of a system to really stress it, I'd wager money I could get the PC P&C to fluctuate ;)

My FSP 530w is that good on the 5v rail where my CPU is most of the time - occasionally it will blip from 5.10 to 5.09, but not often. A well designed PSU operating well within its specs should at least have a chance at this kind of performance. And I don't count Antec/CWT in there myself either - the PC P&C is a server grade unit, designed for a beating.

mohammedtaha said:
I'm not saying within 1-2%. This PSU is rock stable. It does not budge from 12.00V load or idle.

Congrats, here's 1 cookie (to further quote you). I can sacrafice .033v on the 3.3v rail, .05v on the 5.0v rail and .24v on the 12v rail (my 3.3v and 5.0v rails never go below 1% and my 12v rail barely ever drops to 2% below, actually more like 1.3%) in order to save 100% of the retail price of the PSU I'm currently using. PCP&C provides 10% more performance than Antec at over 100% more cost, woot what a bargain...not.

saturnine2 said:

I am glad you find happiness in someone's computer equipment dying.

Just remember that you would not be here nor this would this forum be here unless we tested different equipment and reported back on it. So you PSU snobs can stick it up your ass and then turn your nose up at it.

Just for the record, I have had many more top brand PSUs die than one single Ultra.

burningrave101 said:

I am glad you think it is funny too. I am not simply going to go around bad mouthing a product that has worked perfectly for me in all situations just because someone on a forum said it sucked.

Just for the record, I will laugh the next time something of yours burns up. ;)

And just remember the folks you laughed at next time you need help with an RMA on something and no one will return your emails.....I have seen a lot of uncool things done on these forums, but this is the first time I have seen this breakdown in brotherhood that exists here. I guess all for one and one for all aint the rule with you two. I find it quite sad. :(

What's up with taking a dump on Kyle all of a sudden?

We ought to be thanking him for trying the stuff out for us.

"So you PSU snobs can stick it up your ass and then turn your nose up at it."
"it shined like a diamond in a goat's ass when it came to stock stability" from another article
God I just love quoting good quoting :D

I think it's time for a group hug ;)

Sorry for your loss KB

But damit cleanup dem der wires

Kyle, I apologize for the mean/snooty sounding op. I really didnt consider the implications of this thread when I started it :(

Anyways, good luck with that TT PSU. ;)

canislupy said:
imagine the uproar if Kyle had a PCP&C PSU fail. :rolleyes:

mota had one go and take the mobo with it
any PSU can fail, some just seem to make a habit of it

sorry for the bad luck Boss

are memorial services planned? and more importantly when is the wake? :p

friends we are gathered here today to bid farewell to this PSU
he was a lively fellow with an electric personality
everyone would just light up when he walked into a room
the future looks so dark without him, he will be missed but not forgotten
(largely do to the news coverage of his untimely demise) :p

wakes are for levity after all
no disrespect to the deceased ;)

J-Mag said:
However, I am sure you will use a product openly if it represents a stream of revenue (direct or indirect) for you.

Didn't you know Tiger Woods secretly wants to wear Reebok?
Ahh... sadness... do you think ANYONE involved in 'streams of revenue' would so ardently stick to what he needs. Example: Kyle need to MULTITASK and game. He uses a p4 while that is the best hardware for his needs. When Amd comes out with a better choice, he switches.

Your comments are cold, unthankful and almost certainly: WRONG.

Kyle, thanks for an awesome website. I'm sorry it took me so long to find it, as I went years on lesser clones.

And, sorry about your PSU. Its never fun to loose hardware, especially when you have work to do and it fails at a bad time. (aren't they all bad times?)

J-Mag said:
However, I am sure you will use a product openly if it represents a stream of revenue (direct or indirect) for you.

First off, I would be very careful of what you are SURE of and what you are implying.

OPUS1 said:
Sorry for your loss KB

But damit cleanup dem der wires

Thanks for the kind words.

As for the wires, just having my PC work was my focus. Will get the wires cleaned up when I get the other PSU out. :)

Ice Czar said:
mota had one go and take the mobo with it
any PSU can fail, some just seem to make a habit of it

sorry for the bad luck Boss

are memorial services planned? and more importantly when is the wake? :p

friends we are gathered here today to bid farewell to this PSU
he was a lively fellow with an electric personality
everyone would just light up when he walked into a room
the future looks so dark without him, he will be missed but not forgotten
(largely do to the news coverage of his untimely demise) :p

wakes are for levity after all
no disrespect to the deceased ;)

Google "viking funeral" and check the third link down. :D

saturnine2 said:
Kyle, I apologize for the mean/snooty sounding op. I really didnt consider the implications of this thread when I started it :(

Anyways, good luck with that TT PSU. ;)

Thanks bro, I appreciate that. We are all in this together.

dekard said:
Kyle, thanks for an awesome website. I'm sorry it took me so long to find it, as I went years on lesser clones.

And, sorry about your PSU. Its never fun to loose hardware, especially when you have work to do and it fails at a bad time. (aren't they all bad times?)

Thanks bro. Trust me I did look at the bright side when everything booted back up this morning. I am still missing one hard drive, but I was not going to turn this thing off till the end of the work day.

dekard said:
Ahh... sadness... do you think ANYONE involved in 'streams of revenue' would so ardently stick to what he needs. Example: Kyle need to MULTITASK and game. He uses a p4 while that is the best hardware for his needs. When Amd comes out with a better choice, he switches.

Your comments are cold, unthankful and almost certainly: WRONG.

Thanks for getting my back brother, it is appreciated.

LOL

valhalla.jpg

Lo, there do I see my father
Lo, there do I see my mother and my sisters
and my brothers
Lo, there do I see the line of my people back
to the beginning
Lo, they do call to me
They bid me take place among them
in the Halls of Valhalla
Where the brave may live forever...
Lo there do I see a hotdog
and a cold beer to :p

Kyle,
Yall gonna do a review of that TT PSU your putting in your rig? Im curious to see what you think of it. Ive had the 480w 20pin version of the TWV for quite a while and its performed flawlessly. But Im gonna need a 24pin and mo power for SLI pretty soon.

Bummer on the ULTRA. I put one in my folks pc and they've havent had any problems, is it still under warranty?

I don't do PSU reviews because for the most part I think they are bullshit. Unless you have some very expensive testing equipment and loading equipment, these "reviews" we posted are worthless. That said, I will continue to answer emails and speak out about what we find good and what we find bad.

I have an ultra x-connect 500w psu. Have only had thi system up and running now since saturday, but so far so good. It was bought used, so I have no idea how long its been around. I wish that I would have gooten an ocz modstrea b/c I have s939 and pci-e(24pin) and the ultra is only 20pin. Haven't got my X800XL yet and have my old pci mx440se hooked up. Wish me luck with the 20pin-24pin adapter....have heard they cause some issues. Anyways Kyle, best of luck with the new TT psu.

I've got 2 things to say...

1) Why would you start a thread to publicly joke at and comment on the [H] God's PSU failure?

2) I'm really surprised no custom titles came out of this after the few people who directly laughed at and disrespected Kyle. I was hoping for some amusing titles :(

burningrave101 said:
I certainly wasn't laughing at you cause you lost a piece of hardware though cause it sucks and your lucky it didn't take out some other components along with it. I only laughed cause you blew us all off when we warned you about it. I just still am really surprised you dont have a PCP&C unit running in your machine with the cost of some of your other hardware in there like that cool new X2 4800+.

First off, if you are going to be rude and laugh at someone over a system loss, I think you had best be very specific about your laughter.

Secondly, I never "blew you off," I simply explained to you MY EXPERIENCE. At the time you want to argue that there are not other correct opinions but your own.

Third, as I have repeated over and over here and other places, I would find it hard to hold real world opinions if all I did was use top shelf expensive parts and did not try to test a wide variety of hardware. If I did that, I might end up like you. Sharing narrow minded opinions based simply on what others say. I like to try my best to base MY opinion on MY experience.

I won't pull any punches here. I think you are a rude troublemaker in our forums and you overall detract from its value. That is MY opinion based on MY experience. See how that works?

Back