H50 Still Worth It?

covertash

Gawd
I was just curious if everyone thought the Corsair H50 is still worth it in the wake of the H70's existence. I've been waiting for a sale to come along to buy one for my girlfriend's rig since she has a Q6600 and a relatively small (read as cramped) case, where the H50 would be put to good use.

Last night we saw that Tiger Direct was having a sale that made it $60 with free shipping after a coupon code. As she's placing the order, I jokingly told her to get me one and without a second thought she added another one to her card and paid for it! :eek:

While I do have to compensate her, it got me thinking, is the H50 a worthwhile cooler for my sig rig knowing that the H70 is out now? I ask this, because after shipping and tax in some places, the cost of the H70 is pretty much double the cost of the H50. So is the performance difference worthwhile, even though I'll likely be using my Scythe S-Flex G's in push/pull with the H50.

For those of you interested in the sale ;), apply this code (DBH6079) to this product:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5267687&CatId=1871

I replaced the stock fan on my H50 with a Gentle Typhoon (1800 RPM) and got a 12C drop on full load temp on my 3.8GHz i920 (push fan exhausting out of case). And it is a bit quieter. Save the money and get the H50 and put a good fan on it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As she's placing the order, I jokingly told her to get me one and without a second thought she added another one to her card and paid for it!

Don't EVER let that woman go; I have to give a written proposal every time I try to buy a computer part.

writtin proposal? Sounds more like a wedding vow to me!

+1 for H50 still being worth it. I snagged mine while BB had them on sale $50. Had to pay taxes but was a good reason to get rid of a giftcard. Push pull with an extra random 120 I had around the house plus fan controler and it's kept my 1055t way down in temps, 3.6 @ 1.3v.

Don't EVER let that woman go; I have to give a written proposal every time I try to buy a computer part.

Lol, yeah she's a keeper no doubt. ;) But it was only smooth sailing because she wanted to build up her own rig too, lol. :D

ya when u compare the h70 and the h50 BOTH using 2 fans the results are 3-6c difference, not worth the $110+ to me

Thanks for the reassurance everyone! :)

Looking forward to finally moving away from the original Thermalright bolt through kit. :D

H70 seems too costly. It doesn't impress me considering the noise level required for its performance.

As for the H50:

The prospect of adding an additional 120.1 radiator (or replacing the original radiator with a 120.2 or similarly sized low-restriction rad) to the H50-loop is enticing.

I didn't think the H50 was good for anything but compact systems until I realized that it could be inexpensively modded in this fashion. I'd think that this would void warranty and possibly strain the pump, however, but Coolit runs a 240-rad on their Eco pump... and DIY'ers are doing it, so perhaps it's fine.

H50 is still good...

I think corsair sells waterblocks with the pump enclosed, buying that would be more cost effective and simple then buying an h50/h70 and butchering it... but then again, buying cheap, but good quality water cooling components would be better overall.

there's a list of parts on a thread xtremesystem.org that includes cheap but, good quality WC parts as a better alternative to the h70 (should be under the air cooling forum in the "corsair h70 worth the price tag" thread).

BeepBeep2 said:
MCR-120/220 $30/40
Enzotech Sapphire $35
Jingway 1200 $50
Tubing+barbs $15
T Line $2

$130/140...

Ahh yes. I left out that it'd be foolish to mod the H50 unless one could do so for the right price. I wouldn't pay $100 for any H50 or H70-based setup. I'd pick up the extra radiator used... possibly even the H50 used.

I happen to be piecing together a budget water loop right now, so far I've secured the following:

- Swiftech MCR-320 - $35 (used)
- Swiftech microres v2 - $10 (used)
- DD fatboys (A bunch of them, OEM'ed by bitspower), D-plug, worm-drive clamps, Y-fittings, etc - $17 (used)

SVC has the XSPC Rasa (great block; $50-$55 elsewhere) for $45 (OOS), and Jingway DP-1200 (DD CPX-pro; not Laing, but still has ceramic impeller and is quieter) for $53. I'll need to pick up a silver kill-coil, some teflon tape, a few more fans, and some silicone-ish or rubber/neoprene gasket material, and some LRT tubing, and I'll be done.

Used WC parts can be a great deal :)

Last edited:
if you like me, don't want to drop more than 150$ on a custom watercooling then go for it.

My h50 on a Q6600 @ 3.4ghz (1.3v) idles at around 32*c and loads at 63*C 24hr prime95 stable :)

Very good in my opinion, and I also got it for $50 at best buy some time ago. Dont waste your time with the stock shin-etsu tim, its waaay too thick.
I used MX-2 and it dropped my idle temps by about 1-2*C and load temps about 3*C. I would say its a great deal if you get it for around $50 because it is so much more compact than any air cooler, maintenance free and very easy to setup and maintain unlike custom loops.
Sure the performance will be less than a custom loop but it will cost half as much and require almost no maintenance.

My h50 on a Q6600 @ 3.4ghz (1.3v) idles at around 32*c and loads at 63*C 24hr prime95 stable :)

Very good in my opinion, and I also got it for $50 at best buy some time ago. Dont waste your time with the stock shin-etsu tim, its waaay too thick.
I used MX-2 and it dropped my idle temps by about 1-2*C and load temps about 3*C. I would say its a great deal if you get it for around $50 because it is so much more compact than any air cooler, maintenance free and very easy to setup and maintain unlike custom loops.
Sure the performance will be less than a custom loop but it will cost half as much and require almost no maintenance.

Good to know as the girlfriend's rig is also a Q6600 that is begging to be overclocked. :D

Thanks everyone!

Just curious, how many people are using the fan as an intake or exhaust with the H50?

Stick got the stock, but not sure which side it's on. Push/Pulled with some random 120 I had here.

Hey Covertash, good luck with your H50. Looks like your GF's rig is coming along well.
Post some pics (of the gir...rig ;)

Hey Covertash, good luck with your H50. Looks like your GF's rig is coming along well.
Post some pics (of the gir...rig ;)

Lol, she'd kill me if I did post pictures of her. I'll try to convince her of something, like posing next to her rig, but we'll see.

Btw, thanks again for the PSU. It's much quieter than the Earthwatts 430W that it replaced with its 80mm fan. :D

Back