H1Z1 - New SOE Game

It looks extremely early on in development (as expected).

Nothing really stood out in the livestream to set it apart from DayZ or anything.

I really hope they put a lot more focus on survival elements that are affected by weather, etc.

Also the world needs animals, lots of animals, deer, birds, wolves, turkeys, bears, horses, cows, pigs, chickens, + plenty of others.

Where each animal has it's own "need" based AI (a nd they don't just sit there in the world), where they have a need to find food, water, and shelter (just like players). With each animal type having differences in the AI, where some are passive (deer, etc), some run in packs (wolves), some alone, some a herd animals (horses/cows), some are terroritorial, aggressive, the animals have prey/hunter AI (IE wolves hunt deer, etc) deer and others live off plants/foliage.

Then people, just like in real life, can make use of both plants and animals.

Having hunting the animals give you all sorts of things. Hides can be crafted into clothing, bones and other things can be made into tools/utility items (which can help in crafting other things).

Have weather/time of day affect the temperature, where say if you are in a cold area (IE mountain'ish area) and it's snowy, you want to have protection from the weather, a good fur coat, a fire, shelter to go to, etc. However in the cold weather zombies are affected as well, slower and it's a safer area for humans.

The desert areas you'd need to have a supply of water as you would go through it faster, and at night you'd need fire and warmth as well.

Then you factor in seasons/weather into it all.

That's the kind of depth I'd like to see in these games. Rather then it being the usual "run around an empty lifeless world where other players grief each other."

There needs to be reasons to work together with other players, and have consequences/risks for players killing others.

You should be able to form guilds (actual guilds, not just "hanging out" with people, but guilds that are a function in game. Which you can then declare war/ally with other guilds in game.

Also would be nice (imo) if there was an rpg like system for player skills, where there's a tree like skill system (or maybe something like Path of exiles) where you can develop your character how you want. I mean doesn't it make sense that say, you'd need to learn about cars and develop a skill for mechanics to know how to put a car together/maintain one and repair one? or perhaps have a skill for alchemy that helps heal wounds and other damages (over time, not instant, like if a player gets their arm/leg damaged, they can't use it/move slower but seeing someone with a decent skill in doctoring can help heal it quicker).

There just needs to be depth behind things, the world needs to feel alive, dynamic.

That's the thing that to me felt missing in Dayz, it just felt like a very empty shallow world where it was mostly brainless zombies (or weren't really a threat) and players just being dicks because there was no reason not to.

Early access in about 4 weeks for $20 on steam.

no matter what state it is in, it is likely a much better state than day-z

Early access in about 4 weeks for $20 on steam.

no matter what state it is in, it is likely a much better state than day-z

I thought I heard them say it was a free to play? Either way Id pay for it.

If its remotely successful it will pretty much cement DayZ as a overall failure. DayZ was an important drive in the genre but ultimately is based on a clunky broken engine and has a history of not meeting their own goals, and surely players expectations.

If its remotely successful it will pretty much cement DayZ as a overall failure. DayZ was an important drive in the genre but ultimately is based on a clunky broken engine and has a history of not meeting their own goals, and surely players expectations.

it is f2p, if you want to wait.

To me this game is going to be starting in EARLY ACCESS on the SAME playing field as where Infestation/Rust/DayZ CURRENTLY are after a lot more time in concept and development.

I am perfectly OK with this, it's still going to be early access. 4 more weeks of added content and it's going to be in a good playable spot for anyone interested in early access.

Just remember, it's EARLY ACCESS. Truly the people I hate *MOST* in this world at this current time are people who pay for early access games and complain about them being shitty or unplayable.

I saw the rerun on youtube of the live cast, color me interested tbh 20.00 isnt that bad for early access and looks fun. I enjoy that the directional speech ingame can also bring zombies if your not quite enough.

soe is fucking me in the ass w/o lube on this game. If this is the "Starwars galaxies like" game they mentioned, im pretty upset. I wish the servers would just go live so i can PvP in restuss again :( I got my jedi robe 2 weeks before they announced server is ending...

soe is fucking me in the ass w/o lube on this game. If this is the "Starwars galaxies like" game they mentioned, im pretty upset. I wish the servers would just go live so i can PvP in restuss again :( I got my jedi robe 2 weeks before they announced server is ending...

LOL this is not the game they were speaking of. Pretty sure that would be the biggest troll ever by Smed to SWG fans

the game is free to play, but if you want early access you can pay for the ability to play now.

its the same thing with landmark. i am pretty sure that is free to play also isnt it? but you can pay to play it now.

LOL this is not the game they were speaking of. Pretty sure that would be the biggest troll ever by Smed to SWG fans

I'm pretty sure it is. It meets the criteria. Player build town/cities, crafting, open world, trading. The only aspect it is missing would be a talent/skill system. Smed said it would have some of the features that made SWG great but it wasn't going to be a Star Wars game.

Taken from Reddit

I'd like to announce a new feature for H1Z1. Player Servers. Similar to other games from SOE, H1Z1 is an MMO. We will launch with different rulesets and variants to cater to different playstyles.

We're excited about taking our dedication to letting you get a say in our games to a whole new level with Player Servers.

The idea is simple - If a community of our players wants to host a server with a specific theme or ruleset then we're going to do our best to give it to them. players will recieve a pledge token for free if they've played more than 5 hours. This pledge token can be used to cast a vote for a server. But use it wisely. You only get one free one per year. Make sure it's a community you believe in and that has a good chance to succeed because we're going to set the bar such that the community can sustain an MMO server (more details will be announced later). If you find yourself dying to vote on another server initiative we'll also sell pledge tokens but you can only use 2 pledge tokens a year max. So again, it's up to you but we want to make sure if we build it you're coming. We're also going to refund the station cash you used to buy it to your account if the Player Server Initiative succeeds. The Pledge token also comes with a wearable that's going to look sweet.

Why refund it if it succeeds? Simple - we really want to give you the kind of servers you want. We're going to set that bar high. If it succeeds, you've built a community of fellow players you want and as our customers we want to give you that. But we also need some indication of reality in order to make this work.

At SOE we've been doing a whole lot of asking our players what you think of our ideas. This is no exception. If you have better ones, we are all ears.

Hope you dig this.

Smed

Smed on Death and Looting

I've seen some questions about this. I want to clarify this as it's important to the game.

When you die, your corpse becomes a container with ALL your stuff. Your corpse may end up wandering around if it turns into a zombie and reanimates. But either way it's completely up for grabs.

Station Cash purchased items are always available to you from your locker. We're not going to have you buy something and have you permanently lose it. However, we will allow other players to loot a lower durability version of the item (Station Cash items do not degrade).

So dying is a serious thing in H1Z1. This game is not for the weak.

Great, sounds like they are just encouraging griefing...even new spawns just to try to get a low-quality version of any bought items they have.

Great, sounds like they are just encouraging griefing...even new spawns just to try to get a low-quality version of any bought items they have.

Yeah, unless they have some sort of 'penalty' for this, it's going to have the same complaints as DayZ. I'll hold off judgment until they've explained the system more.

I just find it funny how many people complain about pvp in a game like this since it has 'survival aspects'... to me surviving people is still survival, lol which is more fun than a eating/camping simulator

Yeah, unless they have some sort of 'penalty' for this, it's going to have the same complaints as DayZ. I'll hold off judgment until they've explained the system more.

don't buy nice things if you don't want to be targeted

IMO the game needs a kind of bounty system/PK system.

Where as players kill other players they gain notoriety. After so many player kills theyare labeled as a murder and their nameplates (or whatever is used ot identify players in the game) turn red so you can easily "assume" that player will be hostile.

Then when another player kills you, you are able to then place a bounty on otheir head, which other players can look up and then try to "track" down the pkers to obtain the reward.

This encourages both sides (those who don't want to pk and want to band together) while giving pkers both incentives for doing it and also consequences.

A system where there's ZERO consequence in these games will almost always lead to rampant griefing because there's no reason not to, you gain nothing by being thei "nice" guy while being the bad guy gets you loot and rewards.

I just find it funny how many people complain about pvp in a game like this since it has 'survival aspects'... to me surviving people is still survival, lol which is more fun than a eating/camping simulator

Why not add more depth to a system that's more than just "kill or be killed and lose all of your shit"? Seems like a wasted opportunity if they can't or won't expand on what DayZ already does.

Wow. Another PVP game in a large map, marketed as "open world" for your pvp pleasures. Let's not forget the useless zombies doing nothing in the background, while all the players are just shooting at each other.

Wow this makes me feel old, looting is basically the same model they followed in EQ, except this time, you're buying gear that can't be stripped, rather than raiding for it. You also didn't go anywhere without friends, and even then you always had a bard with you....

IMO the game needs a kind of bounty system/PK system.

Where as players kill other players they gain notoriety. After so many player kills theyare labeled as a murder and their nameplates (or whatever is used ot identify players in the game) turn red so you can easily "assume" that player will be hostile.

Then when another player kills you, you are able to then place a bounty on otheir head, which other players can look up and then try to "track" down the pkers to obtain the reward.

This encourages both sides (those who don't want to pk and want to band together) while giving pkers both incentives for doing it and also consequences.

A system where there's ZERO consequence in these games will almost always lead to rampant griefing because there's no reason not to, you gain nothing by being thei "nice" guy while being the bad guy gets you loot and rewards.

Sounds like you should play War Z. Has everything you want but the bounties :)

I hope this is the last time anyone refers to that 'game' in this thread haha

You're right...

Any of you play Infestation: Survivor Stories? Stiler sounds like you should check that game out ;)

Dammit, Stiler. You stepped right into that one. He got you good. He put the internet equivalent of a "Kick Me" sign on your back, and we were all powerless to stop him.

Infestation: Survivor Stories is what the scam artist developer of WarZ tried renaming it to in the middle of the night, in attempt to shake off the bad reputation and press. Didn't work.

If anyone tells you to play Big Rigs: Over The Road Racing, don't do it, it's a trap (same developer as WarZ/I.S.S.) - it also happens to be the worst game ever made in the history of all gaming.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f3HDsgLV68

Last edited:
don't buy nice things if you don't want to be targeted

Heh, so basically they are discouraging people from paying them money. Really sounds like there is a disconnect between the devs and the Sony execs somewhere. :p

Dammit, Stiler. You stepped right into that one. He got you good. He put the internet equivalent of a "Kick Me" sign on your back, and we were all powerless to stop him.

Infestation: Survivor Stories is what the scam artist developer of WarZ tried renaming it to in the middle of the night, in attempt to shake off the bad reputation and press. Didn't work.

If anyone tells you to play Big Rigs: Over The Road Racing, don't do it, it's a trap (same developer as WarZ/I.S.S.) - it also happens to be the worst game ever made in the history of all gaming.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f3HDsgLV68

I disagree. It WAS god awful at launch, and had a lot of issues (rampant hacking amongst them) in the early days of the game.

The current state of the game is much different. Colorado V2 is VERY fun, and the map is huge. They are still working on California which is 2x bigger than the original map.

Infestation is a great holdover and entry into the "zombie MMOFPS" genre. I still play it off and on. It has a different mentality though. To me it's downfall is the limitless Global Inventory. It tends to turn the game into a TV episode of Hoarders. The majority of my friends who still play just run around on empty servers collecting as many weapons as possible and then running back to the safe zones to drop them off in their global inventory. They have tons of "rare" guns that they never use because they're too afraid of dying and losing them lol.

H1Z1 not having a global inventory makes for a much better game, IMO. It means you won't have an untouchable stash of weapons outside the game that you can just load up new characters with every time you die. Finding rare weapons in H1Z1 will have you hiding in lockboxes and only using them when absolutely necessary. I definitely think having guns be SUPER rare is the best thing a zombie type of game could do. Once everyone has a .50 cal sniper rifle the game really just turns into a pissing match.

So does that mean there's a monthly fee? I thought they said there wasn't going to be a subscription.

i would think its still free to play still, having a SOE pass will likely get you in game store credits on a monthly basis you can spend on digital goods maybe extra character slots or other misc. things

So does that mean there's a monthly fee? I thought they said there wasn't going to be a subscription.

It's f2p, but this all access gives you access to most of soe's developed games, EQ, EQ2, Planetside 2, Vanguard, EQ next, EQ landmark, and now H1Z1 on the "premium" level (IE the one that normal subscriptions gave you), you also get a monthly SOE cash allotment of 500 and 10% discount on the marketplace.

All for the normal 14.99$ rate that most single mmo subs cost, so it's a pretty good deal if you want to play some of the games or want to support them.

It's f2p, but this all access gives you access to most of soe's developed games, EQ, EQ2, Planetside 2, Vanguard, EQ next, EQ landmark, and now H1Z1 on the "premium" level (IE the one that normal subscriptions gave you), you also get a monthly SOE cash allotment of 500 and 10% discount on the marketplace.

All for the normal 14.99$ rate that most single mmo subs cost, so it's a pretty good deal if you want to play some of the games or want to support them.

Does anyone know if the all Access pay $14.99 to play all the games listed at membership level gone live yet? I know they were talking it will sometime around April 29th.

Last edited:
Loving what I am seeing so far from the stream.

H1Z1, Everquest Next (Landmark), and Planetside 2 will definitely be worth the $14.99 a month.

Yea I wanted to try Landmark out but I thought that still wasnt open and in Alpha stages?

Back