H105 Problems and my Stupidity

Wendig0

Gawd
So after what I just did earlier, I'm reconsidering my handling with precious equipment and hardware after coming home at 10:15 PM from a day of work.

Anyway, so this is what happened.. I was so excited to see how my new H105 would look with my Asus Board and Fractal Design Case that I just rushed to get it installed. After installing the backplate I noticed that there was a lot of wiggle with the backplate screws. So I just ignored it and initially thought that that is how it was designed. So I was about to install the radiator and with the case that I'm working with (Mini R2) the top radiator mount washers may not be necessary to use. So while I was Google searching to see what everyone else was doing with their Fractal Design cases I came across the h100/100i loose backplate problem. Without researching this thoroughly I freaked out and ran to my new build. I attempted to screw the backplate screws tighter to see if that was the problem, without properly looking at how the screws were already at the end of their threading. Then I got frustrated and started to just take out the backplate entirely so I could get a better look. The first couple of screws came out fine and then there was this one in the top right corner, when looking from the front, that wouldn't budge. So I got some pliers and I tried using brute force and you know what, it spun and that's all it did. I couldn't get it out. The threaded metal female part was spinning independently with the rest of the "plastic" back plate housing. So after that I started cursing and even had thoughts of not wanting to buy a corsair product again... then I came to myself and accepted that what I did was just idiotic. I didn't take the proper amount of time to look at the situation; however, metal backplates would be really nice to use instead of these flimsy plastic ones that can break or strip (like mine).

So I have some questions before I do any more damage than I've already done.

1) Should I get an RMA? Would corsair be able to just send me a new backplate without me having to send the whole kit?
2) Should I just continue with what I have because the screw, although it's stripped, still is fairly secure and may mount without any trouble.
3) Is the backplate supposed to be loose for the h105? Some people say yes and that it will tighten up when you install the cpu and attach the heatsink on. However, it seems a lot of people say no and they add washers (which would honestly be really hard with my Mini R2 case because the motherboard backplate hole doesn't expose the whole HSF backplate. I had to remove the motherboard to get it installed. On top of that there is no wiggle room between the case mobo backplate and the bracket for the bottom two screws.

I'm a little OCD when it comes to these things so I was really determined to get this backplate off so I can send it in for RMA or for a replacement if I can't RMA it. I thought of putting blue loctite on one of the LGA 2011 screws and screw it in partiatlly from behind the stripped screw. Once it's cured I would be able to simply keep the LGA 2011 screw stationary with pliers while screwing out the other end with other pliers. As long as I can get the "stripped" screw out without using too much torque, enough to wear it would break the loctite seal, then I'll be fine.

So yeah... I feel really depressed about this.. What are your thoughts/opinions/ideas?

TLDR: Overtightened one of the backplate screws and can't get it undone (screw just spins and spins). 1) Should I get it out with loctite and RMA it? (even super glue may work to lock the metal threaded female part to the plastic housing, however I don't think it would withstand enough torque to get it undone) or 2) Should I just attempt to use it as it is and hope that I won't run in to any problems.

The thing is, is that I'm waiting for a 4790k and I don't have a socket 1150 processor laying around... So since I have the time I might as well RMA right?

Here is a picture of the back-plate, not mine, but it's the same back-plate regardless.
20i6o92.jpg

Edit: I decided to take a quick picture to show what I was talking about how the back-plate may not be compatible with the Mini R2. The back-plate that is partially covered by the case mobo back-plate is essentially sandwiched and flush with the motherboard. So this means that I would have to literally need to cut my case if spacers are needed to offset the gap (which I hope they aren't needed).
1zb3rbb.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think user error should be permitted as a legit reason for a RMA.

Just contact corsair directly, inquire on how to get a new back plate. They have excellent customer service.

^ I think you're right. I think I might have a good shot with newegg on replacing it but I will try corsair first. Even if I can just purchase that plastic part from them that would be better than using up all the resources and energy in sending the whole set to newegg and having them send it back.

As for the compatibility, is there supposed to be a gap between the screws and the motherboard before you attach the heatsink/pump? I'm concerned that it may not be compatible with my motherboard.

Yea RMA doesn't cover user error and it seems like this would be a pretty obvious case of that. Contact their support channels, maybe send a message to Redbeard here on the forums.

I'll see what corsair's support says and then move on from there. I feel embarrassed that it even happened... (haste makes waste).

If you fess up and tell them about your blunder, they may just take care of you for free; it's happened before. Sometimes honesty really *is* the best policy.

I did this myself and they offered to just send me new mount kit. I just wanted to know how to get it off.

They suggested needle-nose pliers and they worked.

+++ poster for an honest post.

I fix all kinds of things for a living and damn my life would be easier if folks would fess up to things like this.

As far as the backplate clearance.....just cut the case. Whats the issue? Just try not to use a hammer. please. :)

*edit*

When installing ANYTHING ON THE PLANET which has multiple fastener points do your best to go in a "star" pattern from fastener to fastener in at least 3 cycles, getting progressively tight as you go.

Small shank and fine thread fasteners (shank = width of everything that isnt the head) (fine thread= strip easier when torqued incorrectly but apply load in a more predictable manner) really need a little more TLC than the installing hammer you used the first attempt :p

Last edited:
So Corsair got back to me really quick and sent out the replacement part to me at no cost and with no questions. They said that there was no need to send the faulty part back to them. Corsair has gained a happy customer! I'll soon see how well the h105 works in my system without modding the case (for the bracket) when I get my 4790k.

Edit: Oh shoot, it looks like they may have mailed me the wrong parts. Looks like they gave me the Hydro Series Retention Bracket Kit for Hydro Series H40, H50 and H70.

Last edited:
Eh, Its not as fancy as the one that came with the H105, but it has the same threading, so it should work.

Back