[H] Windows 7 RC Install Video

Nice vid, it took me much longer to get mine installed in the system listed in my sig. Can't remember how long exactly but it was over 40min. Problem is when I boot from dvd it sits there for a long time before the first install dialog window pops up. Really looks like it is frozen because there is no indicator or anything, it's just the background image. Vista does the same thing when I install it. I am guessing it is something weird about my hardware setup and the way the install probes for hardware. Happens when its stock and overclocked, it's odd. No problems otherwise though, have been running win7 rc1 for a couple weeks now.
I got this too with my system. Both the beta and RC, though the DVD drive just failed, though I want to rule that out because it seems that my drive failure was mechanical.. however, yeah I thought that was really annoying that nobody else gets the delayed inital dialog window.
It may be your DVD drive and/or any settings related to it. I have 2 cheap Lite-On Drives in my system, one is a plain DVD SATA drive, while the other is a DVDRW SATA drive. It literally takes 30 minutes to install some games on my plain DVD drive. I notice the damn thing spinning up and down all the time during the install. It used to exhibit the same behavior during bootup (for about 30 seconds) until I took it off the boot sequence in the bios. I've never seen these behaviors on any other CD or DVD drive I have ever used, including brands such as Samsung, Toshiba, Phillips, Plextor, and even other Lite-On drives. The drive works perfectly for all other uses, so I don't plan on replacing it anytime soon.

Installs on my DVDRW drive for those same games literally take a fraction of the time.

Is this going to be a series of videos installing different OS? If not I dont really see the point, except for showing off some nice hardware.

Tell us more about your cock.
Kyle is a hugely famous chicken farmer, and he is off course very proud of his poultry show champion rooster.

Is this going to be a series of videos installing different OS? If not I dont really see the point, except for showing off some nice hardware.

Kyle is a hugely famous chicken farmer, and he is off course very proud of his poultry show champion rooster.

Na, no series. If you don't see the point, no biggy, just consider this for our other readers.

I got buddies that are chicken farmers. Not a pleasant buisness. :(

Last edited:
We have done somein-house testing lately that showed the Single Layer SSD from Intel was able to be written to twice as fast as the Multi-Layer SSD. Was not really article-worthy, but it was interesting to see. Getting real world read speeds on a desktop system proved to be futile, or at least so variable it made the datta worthless. I still think the biggest bottleneck to Win OS installs is the media you are reading off of. Another point is the DVD drive you are using. I have seen very many times here in the last couple of years where DVD drives are not set to the proper speed by the BIOS and you end up with something REALLY slow.

Please.
1. What is the file size of the install iso?
2. How Much disk space did the final initial install use?
Thank you.

I would've thought they replaced the fish(Beta) with something else like an RCV or a remote control since it's now RC.
Yea, I know they have better things to do.

That's impressive, 10 mins to reformat? That'll save me a lot of time for the systems I build!!

How much effect did the RAM have? I have 6 gigs, what are the benefits of 12? (Gaming rig)

Also, great look Kyle, nice haircut and beard trim!

Install ISO sizes:
32-bit: ~2.35 GB
64-bit: ~3.04 GB

So you will need a 4 GB thumbdrive minimum. If you have spare room on the thumbdrive, putting the new video drivers and such on it would be handy, as well as your favorite AV program, etc.

Hey Kyle,

can you post the steps you used to prepare the USB key for installing windows 7. I have been having a tough time getting my system to successfully read from the USB key.

Thanks

edit: maybe I should clarify...I have a x64 copy of windows 7 however I am trying to prepare the USB key on a x32 XP SP2 machine. my only x64 machine is the one I am trying to install windows 7 on and it is currently non-bootable

Hey Kyle,

can you post the steps you used to prepare the USB key for installing windows 7. I have been having a tough time getting my system to successfully read from the USB key.

Thanks

Read post directly above yours.

It may be your DVD drive and/or any settings related to it. I have 2 cheap Lite-On Drives in my system, one is a plain DVD SATA drive, while the other is a DVDRW SATA drive. It literally takes 30 minutes to install some games on my plain DVD drive. I notice the damn thing spinning up and down all the time during the install. It used to exhibit the same behavior during bootup (for about 30 seconds) until I took it off the boot sequence in the bios. I've never seen these behaviors on any other CD or DVD drive I have ever used, including brands such as Samsung, Toshiba, Phillips, Plextor, and even other Lite-On drives. The drive works perfectly for all other uses, so I don't plan on replacing it anytime soon.

Installs on my DVDRW drive for those same games literally take a fraction of the time.

I had an old Lite-on DVD drive (no R/RW) that acted the same way. It would take forever just to eject a disc. I replaced it with an Asus SATA DVD-RW and threw the lite-on in the attic...I should probably just take it down to the computer recycling center though.

Installed Win7 RC x64 this weekend on my system after the Beta died on me about a month ago. It would blue screen right after booting to the desktop. Safe mode worked fine. Probably just a driver issue, but I didn't bother trouble shooting it since the RC was coming out anyway. Definitely tough to go back to XP Pro though. I think i missed mahjong the most! ;)

In an early iteration of the 7k betas II ended up with bluescreens after taking some WindowsUpdate (W7x64) drivers that supposedly were to make my ancient SB Live! run at all, but then again, Creative Labs.

This OS is shaping up so nicely, spoiling me with great boot times and all that I think I'm going to get it from the shelf at day one just to get an early proper start. Decided to use a spare computer for a WinXP install rather than aim for a Pro edition Win7, unless I can get it at a business rebate with a little magic and kind words with my contacts :eek:

Win7 working perfect on AMD 7 chipsets.

Kyle:)
Make a video review of windows 7, tell abit of the pin to thingy, and memory usage.
Bring up a review with 8 gigs of ram, then do 2 gigs of ram, or less, and tell diffrence between vista and win7.

I cannot see any other improvements with resource use than memory usage, and that it actually is stable.

Systems ive tried at:
Amd 790fx 790X 790GX 780G.
ATI radeon 4870 4850 4770 3870X2 8800 GTX 7800 GTX

MARVEL LANS ARE A PAIN IN THE ASS.
For those who have DFI, they do work, read on net, I dont know what ive did, i used 2 hours on both my computers, and i cant really tell what i did, something worked.
Windows 7 actually has the correct driver, but fails to understand it, however i downloaded so you might need to.

Otherwise, not going back to vista ever, been using Win7 since first leak, and now running 3 diffrent builds, and really cant tell any diffrence with my use.
First build had issues, device manager got screwed up by a usb device.

Pleased with it :) replaced xp and vista, but not ubuntu tho :)

Imagine if this was USB 3.0; oh, how very delicious that would have been.

USB 3 + SSD (SLC) on a RAID 0 with 4+ drives. YUM!

I have always done this method of install on everything basically works out great. And what I actually find amazing my intel atom 1.6 netbook installed win 7rc about the same amount of time as my i7/965. Great vid kyle keep them coming for the noobs.

Ok, so here's the part I don't get. Why are people making SSDs out to be so sexy for a windows install? It's not like there is random i/o going on, isn't this as close to massive sustained sequential throughput as you can get?

I beta test for HyperOS, which is an application that allows you to install an boot to as many as 22 OSs of 2000, XP, Viata, and Win 7 in 32 and 64 bit for the last 3. I do a LOT of reformatting and installing of a number of the Windows OS,s when a new version comes out, and saving time on an OS install is always a good thing.

I've been installing XP from a flash drive for quite some time now, using USB_MultiBoot which you can find here:
http://www.msfn.org/board/Install-XP-from-USB-f157.html
Using that, and an nlited, unattended install version of XP, it will install XP 32 or 64 in about 15-16 minutes. It makes a huge difference when you want to install 6 'clean' OSs for testing purposes. The nice thing about USB_MultiBoot, is that it allows you to install to the partition of your choice to start with, since you don't always install to C:. It takes a LONG time to get XP onto the USB stick using this method, but it's more than worth it in time saved in future installs.

With Vista and Win 7, it's a lot easier as you only have to make a bootable stick, and then copy the OS to it.

No one mentions the 3 GTX looking video cards just chilling there behind the monitor... sad.

Nothing sad about that. Those cards are used all the time when we test SLI setups on motherboards. I still personally test every motherboard we review here, so they get used a good bit.

18 minutes on 2x74 gig raptors running raid 0. and dvd, makes me wonder how much better it would be coming from a usb stick.

I still think the install media is the biggest bottleneck so I think you would have results close to mine.

Please.
1. What is the file size of the install iso?
2. How Much disk space did the final initial install use?
Thank you.

64-bit 3.04GB
I have not installed a single driver - 28.6GB Used Space on the drive.

Yea, I know they have better things to do.

I was thinking the same thing. :)

That's impressive, 10 mins to reformat? That'll save me a lot of time for the systems I build!!

How much effect did the RAM have? I have 6 gigs, what are the benefits of 12? (Gaming rig)

Also, great look Kyle, nice haircut and beard trim!

I doubt the amount of RAM had anything to do with it, and thanks.

Make a video review of windows 7, tell abit of the pin to thingy, and memory usage.
Bring up a review with 8 gigs of ram, then do 2 gigs of ram, or less, and tell diffrence between vista and win7.

I am a hardware guy, not a software guy, but will be using Win 7 for mobo testing. Will let you guys know.

I have always done this method of install on everything basically works out great. And what I actually find amazing my intel atom 1.6 netbook installed win 7rc about the same amount of time as my i7/965. Great vid kyle keep them coming for the noobs.

Again, I think the install time is mostly linked to the speed of the install media.

Ok, so here's the part I don't get. Why are people making SSDs out to be so sexy for a windows install? It's not like there is random i/o going on, isn't this as close to massive sustained sequential throughput as you can get?

Who is making a big deal out of SSD's for install?

i had no pants on when i installed Windows 7

Me either.

Wow! Cool rig for testing motherboards... I'm jealous!

Just a thought, if you want to save yourself a bit of a time, you should look at setting up an answer file so that no human interactions is needed when installing the OS:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933495

That is my personal system I am building up. I had it on the bench for testing before installing it in my chassis.

If I thought that is the way most end users installed Windows did it, I would do it that way. I like our mobo testing to represent REAL WORLD user experience as much as possible and one of the biggest issues I think that is important besides loaded stability, is the ability of the mobo to take an OS install out of the box easily. And that is why we do a full real world install on every mobo we review.

My Experiences, so far.

Don't install it over a dual monitor system. It won't work(unless you unplug your secondary you won't see the configuration screen).

Flash is a BITCH, W7 keeps BSOD on me when I maximize a screen.

BETA ran fine with flash.

Still doesn't comes with dx10 libraries properly installed. Had to add them using Internet downloaded wizard from M$. I don't know about you, but with me Dx10 is a snail compared to Dx9.

I don't know about you, but with me Dx10 is a snail compared to Dx9.

We have done some pretty extensive testing on this in the past and your statement has not shown to be true in real world gaming environments for us.

One thing I'm not clear on yet, and if anyone knows the answer I would appreciate it. When this RC expires in 8 months will you be able to put in a new key from a legally purchased copy and keep going, or will you have to do a clean install for the legally purchased copy? I hate reinstalling a clean OS, it takes me days to get the computer back to the way I like it and all the programs reinstalled.

The thread, not you.

SSD's are a great technology that will have their time come soon. Right now I still think the value aspect is not really there in the desktop arena. But even if you don't use them for their speed, they are great for their size, "heatlessness," and literrally siltent running qualities.

One thing I'm not clear on yet, and if anyone knows the answer I would appreciate it. When this RC expires in 8 months will you be able to put in a new key from a legally purchased copy and keep going, or will you have to do a clean install for the legally purchased copy? I hate reinstalling a clean OS, it takes me days to get the computer back to the way I like it and all the programs reinstalled.

Nope, will require a clean install.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/faq.aspx

Can I upgrade from the RC to the final version of Windows 7?

When you install the final version of Windows 7, you'll need to do a clean installation. So plan on backing up your data then reinstalling your applications and restoring your data.

You will most definitely have to do a clean install with a retail version of the OS, you can't just patch RC to RTM or what have you... You could probably install the retail version over the RC, but you're probably just asking for things to go wrong down the line, better off doing a clean one.

SSDs are starting to be borderline affordable imo... At $325-ish an 80GB X25-M is very tempting imo, considering the impact it has on your system, and I'm not the sort to (usually) spend that much on any one component of my system unless it's absolutely worth it. If you're willing to go smaller for less or want something a lil' bigger the Vertex drives are pretty attractive too... I'm seriously considering picking one of these up by the time Windows 7 is out, I'm guessing I'll need to order something from Newegg to get an OEM disc anyway. ;)

Great excuse huh? Hehe...

Nice vid, it took me much longer to get mine installed in the system listed in my sig. Can't remember how long exactly but it was over 40min. Problem is when I boot from dvd it sits there for a long time before the first install dialog window pops up. Really looks like it is frozen because there is no indicator or anything, it's just the background image. Vista does the same thing when I install it. I am guessing it is something weird about my hardware setup and the way the install probes for hardware. Happens when its stock and overclocked, it's odd. No problems otherwise though, have been running win7 rc1 for a couple weeks now.

That issue tends to happen to me too. I narrowed it down to the floppy disk. If you have one, it works fine. If not, disable it in the BIOS. Hopefully you have the same issue, since its a quick fix :D

^^^^^
Bah, he beat me to it...8)

I've got your fix (as I've had similar issues).

1. If you don't have a Floppy Drive, make sure your Motherboard BIOS doesn't have one listed.

2. For some reason, both Vista and Win7 need your main Hard Drive to be connected to SATA 0. If you have the SATA Hard Drive set to some other SATA port, it will cause a long pause during the Install of either Vista or Win7. This also applies to a mixed system with IDE Hard Drives and SATA CD\DVD ROM's. Make sure your CD\DVD is set to SATA 0.

Oh, and my old (like 3 years) 4gig Thumbdrive, installed Win7 RC on my 60gig Vertex in about 10 minutes. This compared to my 8x DVD drive which did it in about 22minutes.

Just a little heads up for everyone, once the initial file copies are over, you can remove your Thumbdrive (or DVD) and it will speed up the install times a little.

The odd thing is that it also did this from USB drive... it makes me think it's with my hardware. More specifically gigabyte motherboards... it seems that Windows 7 seems to lag on Gigabyte mobo's or that's what my google-fu has led me to believe

The odd thing is that it also did this from USB drive... it makes me think it's with my hardware. More specifically gigabyte motherboards... it seems that Windows 7 seems to lag on Gigabyte mobo's or that's what my google-fu has led me to believe

I have done literally hundreds of Vista installs and I have yet to pinpoint why this delay issue happens sometimes. Have tried all the above suggestions without any one being a fix.

I had the same issue on a PC at my house I was testing on. I re-burned the DVD at a slower speed and it worked much, much better. Would also be interested to see if using the USB method helped you as well.

Kyle, did you do the nasty and turn UAC off yet? I actually kept it on and I am one of those who usually turns the Vista UAC *off* pronto after a fresh install. Much less annoying in Win7. Also big + to the more informative disk defragmenter with a percentage counter. I mean jeesh, a percentage counter, why did that get removed from Vista??

ugh! Your not getting what I was saying. :(

I agree, SSDs are GREAT in some applications. They are going to make insane impacts on the server world and databases. I was simply wanting to know why everyone was simply salavating over the SSD in this thread as if installing to it was the reason windows 7 was so fast, despite the video clearly showing that the install media was the limiting factor.

Honestly that is the first real informative statement you have posted that was not some off the cuff flippant remark. I think there is more of a general excitement about SSD's in the enthusiast community overall than anywhere else...expect maybe in enterprise. I am thinking our first change-over will be on our forum database servers. :)

Kyle, did you do the nasty and turn UAC off yet? I actually kept it on and I am one of those who usually turns the Vista UAC *off* pronto after a fresh install. Much less annoying in Win7. Also big + to the more informative disk defragmenter with a percentage counter. I mean jeesh, a percentage counter, why did that get removed from Vista??

It is normal SOP to turn off UAC and Search Indexing and several other options when testing mobo's with Vista. It is impossible to get solid numbers otherwise. Also for reference, we still test under all motherboards under WinXP too. All perf numbers are done in Vista, but we will not move to Win7.

What Bluray drive is used for this video? I've read some of them have problems booting from a DVD and/or problems doing a fresh install from said DVD. It could be a problem isolated in motherboards prior to i7 though. I'm in the market for one and the one used looks like a good contender.

Last edited:
Back