[H] Windows 7 RC Install Video

Just wanted to drop in and say that I really like the video's Kyle does. Very informative and keep them coming. Wish I could watch one-a-day.

Great video, Kyle. As always, very informative, no BS and quick and to the point. Thanks for all of your (and everyone at the [H]) hard work.

Nice vid, it took me much longer to get mine installed in the system listed in my sig. Can't remember how long exactly but it was over 40min. Problem is when I boot from dvd it sits there for a long time before the first install dialog window pops up. Really looks like it is frozen because there is no indicator or anything, it's just the background image. Vista does the same thing when I install it. I am guessing it is something weird about my hardware setup and the way the install probes for hardware. Happens when its stock and overclocked, it's odd. No problems otherwise though, have been running win7 rc1 for a couple weeks now.

I had the same problem on the first dialog screen. It just sits there with no indication its doing anything. I thought it hung so I ended up rebooting it after 10m. Second time around it did the same thing.. but at the 5m mark it finally brought up the install screen. Odd. I didnt have this issue with the 7000 build.

In the Windows install screen...what does the "upgrade" option do? I really want to install win7 but I'm too lazy to move all my shit around and back stuff up.

To the gentlemen that recomends not installing Win 7 with dual monitors, I did just that without a hitch. It was the most trouble free install of an OS I have ever done. Rig in sig, dual boot and it even detected my wireless nic card. The only driver I had to install was for my xfi.

I am not sure why you had so much trouble with dual monitors.

In the Windows install screen...what does the "upgrade" option do? I really want to install win7 but I'm too lazy to move all my shit around and back stuff up.

upgrades from vista. (possibly xp, not sure). no can do on the 32bit to 64bit though

kyle: what happened to the facial hair?!?!?!

Great video. I will definitely use the USB method when I move to Win7. Wish I could afford the sexy hardware though.

I did an upgrade just this past weekend to 7, took a long time, but I didn't have to reinstall anything. That's going to be a big plus for those who don't want to go through that.

Great video. I will definitely use the USB method when I move to Win7. Wish I could afford the sexy hardware though.

Why? I installed onto a non-SSD drive in just as much time...

Also, the USB install time doesn't account for how long it takes to unpack the ISO onto the USB stick.

I'm been using the OCZ Throttle e-SATA drive for Win7 installs. I haven't run a stopwatch on it, but GD IT'S FAST! It would kick the shit out of that Corsair Voyager (nothing against that, I own two of them and they rock). The first part of the text interface boot where "Windows is Loading Files" or whatever is practically a flash on the screen with the Throttle. While I do not own an SSD, I do have a similar Core i7 setup with 2x Velociraptors in stripped RAID, and I would agree the bottleneck is the install media.

I tried to create a VHD on a second physical hard drive and boot to it and install Win7 from that but without success. I keep running into a boot manager problem. :-/ But I'll bet that'd be even faster if I could get it to work.

To the gentlemen that recomends not installing Win 7 with dual monitors, I did just that without a hitch. It was the most trouble free install of an OS I have ever done. Rig in sig, dual boot and it even detected my wireless nic card. The only driver I had to install was for my xfi.

I am not sure why you had so much trouble with dual monitors.

Post specs please.

Thank you,

I was simply wanting to know why everyone was simply salavating over the SSD in this thread as if installing to it was the reason windows 7 was so fast, despite the video clearly showing that the install media was the limiting factor.

Yeah, I have to agree here. It took probably 20-25 minutes to install it on my PC, and I'm running a PATA WD 80GB drive from 2002 (which scores 45MB/S in HDTach, about 15-20% as fast as an Intel SSD).

SSDs are great (I can't wait till I can afford one), but in this particular case it's the Windows installer that is great, not the SSD.

Ok quick note anyone using the 32 bit version needs to run windows update before doing anything else due to this, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970789 some of the tech comunity was having a slow day... http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1003 but big or small you should get it fixed before adding software. This is not an issue if you are using the 64 bit client.

The other thing is when you use MS iso based installers that have drop dead dates when they drop dead you partition is toast, so it is far better to do the file transfer wizzard and do a clean install when you computer starts shutting down after 2 hours, which is the early warning sign the rc is about to go away. There is a drop dead date when you download the client from MS.

Then again why anyone would be using the 32bit client

WAAAAY off topic here, Kyle, but how long does it take to make one of those videos? Do you have to do retakes?

I had the same problem on the first dialog screen. It just sits there with no indication its doing anything. I thought it hung so I ended up rebooting it after 10m. Second time around it did the same thing.. but at the 5m mark it finally brought up the install screen. Odd. I didnt have this issue with the 7000 build.

The same thing happened to me as well. And I rebooted as well. Finally, I just left it alone for a little while, and the install screen popped up. This was on a brand new machine that I just built.

But once the install screen popped up, the rest of the install went great. So far, I am very pleased (except my McAffee virus software I get from Comcast won't work, so I went with one of the free solutions).

sasme here. Built my dad a new PC on friday. Everything went together well but I didn't have a dvd drive so couldn't install windows. He dropped by sat morning with his drive and I started the install. It "hing" on me as well and for about 10 minutes I was thinking "YOU POS" but I stalled by showing him my desktop with win7 on it. SUre enough the status started doing its thing and it installed fine.

Ok quick note anyone using the 32 bit version needs to run windows update before doing anything else due to this, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970789 some of the tech comunity was having a slow day... http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1003 but big or small you should get it fixed before adding software. This is not an issue if you are using the 64 bit client.

The other thing is when you use MS iso based installers that have drop dead dates when they drop dead you partition is toast, so it is far better to do the file transfer wizzard and do a clean install when you computer starts shutting down after 2 hours, which is the early warning sign the rc is about to go away. There is a drop dead date when you download the client from MS.

Then again why anyone would be using the 32bit client

"Then again why anyone would be using the 32bit client"

Netbooks!

More people need to realize this.

Actually you are overlooking the point of a betas, TESTING!!!

They are going to be selling it so regardless if people really should go 64-bit, people still need to test the 32-bit version to make sure it works.

It would seem that it doesn't work correctly, so luckly this got caught now before it got shipped.

I never even thought about this for my Netbook....hmmm...that give me ideas!! LOL

It is very cool to see Liam Neeson - or was that Kyle? - install W7. I swear Vista is ME 2.0 ... i have no issues, but seems everyone else does, did, etc. The video was cool, and happy it is coming out later this year. May [ H ] live forever!

Would like to see the numbers for installing Win7 from eSATA from a Intel SSD to an internal Intel SSD.

It is very cool to see Liam Neeson - or was that Kyle? - install W7. I swear Vista is ME 2.0 ... i have no issues, but seems everyone else does, did, etc. The video was cool, and happy it is coming out later this year. May [ H ] live forever!

Actually I bet that most people did NOT have issues with Vista. They just like to bitch about it because somebody else told them it was bad.

We have it on a few machines in the office, I have it at home, and knew a few people that have it and none of them really have any trouble with it.

Only issues I have seen is IE locking up, however IE 8 fixed that. Although i've seen firefox lock up just as much so it could have just been something with those sites.

Also, the USB install time doesn't account for how long it takes to unpack the ISO onto the USB stick.

Honestly, given the fact that one can prep their USB thumbdrive from any Vista/XP box ahead of time and only have to do it once, I don't think it would be fair to include that time into the process. Would you factor in the time needed to burn a MSDN/Technet'ed ISO before the install? Probably not. :)

Why? I installed onto a non-SSD drive in just as much time...
Don't you mean copy the ISO onto the USB stick?
What matters more is what makes sense for your setup.
Its impressive that Windows7 managed to completely unpack and install itself so quickly in this demo.
A 3GB image to an unpacked 28GB install in less than 20 minutes without needing to add a single driver... nice.

Nice vid and nice info to know.

I am still torn on the direction I am going to be taking. Currently I run Vista x64 Ultimate on a 640gb Raid 0 for performance. (yes I know raid 0 is dangerous and yes I have an external backup solution). In 95% of what I do vista performs flawlessly, I really have few complaints. For me vista is a far cry better then XP ever was as such I don't have a great deal of incentive to upgrade just yet. Win7 even with Vista Sp2 does look like a solid OS and there are certainly a few tweaks it has that Vista still hasn't gotten that appeal to me. I suspect I am going to wait to make the jump until about this time next year as I want to go ahead and jump to a SSD setup as well. I speculate that SSD's will start falling into the price ranges I want at that point, and if still a little pricey I will just buy a smaller SSD as the OS and primary app drive and reset the raid array to a better solution for storage and security.

Of course my major gripe this go around (my fault) is I have gone far too long between upgrades, which is unusual for me and now I pretty much gotta gut my entire system this go around instead of the usual sell my stuff and recoup some of the cost's. If it isn't already my E6300 and corsair XMS DDR2 should be worth a whopping nothing this time next year :(

Damn it Kyle , now I've got to install Windows 7 RC :)

I tried Windows 7 64-bit beta but my ATI driver would never work with my 4870X2 which made me mad to no end. However now that ATI has released a newer Windows 7 driver I'm gonna install it on my patriot SSD's in raid .. I hope its as smoking fast as your install.

i barely got the hauppage wintv go pro card working under W7 32, i'm sure there's no way in hell it'd work under 64.....

I would be running the 64-bit Windows 7 build on my laptop but it has an older Core Duo CPU which has no 64-bit support. Just to keep in mind for those older systems with P4 Northwoods, Athlon XPs, old Semprons, etc...

Got windows7 32 bit on my aspire netbook the dayi bought my netbook. No problem on the little atom with everything enabled and runs fine.

After watching your vid, i went and downloaded me a copy of it. Thinking that I would get no where near the installation time that you got I was pleasantly suprised when from (Boot from USB, it ran Windows 7 setup) to the time i was on my desktop was just over 11 minutes.

One thing I did notice though is that when it was extracting the windows files, mine went a hell of alot faster than yours shown on the vid. (used a Sandisk 8gig thumb drive without U3 stuff installed).

Boot time is now just around 20 seconds once i see the initial windows startup screen which seems a ton faster than my XP ever did.

Anyways.. thanks for posting that vid, it was very informative.. (although i could only wish to have your test rig.. lol)

would it be possible to install from a second hard drive?

also, it's worth noting that Corsair Voyager GT USB drive is significantly faster then your run of the mill USB drive

Back