[H] User selling items I am currently selling on ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.

TType85

[H]ard|Gawd
This is sorta strange. I have some stuff listed in the FS forum. I was on ebay and I happened to find the items I have listed, using the pictures I took (including using some of the wrong ones for the item). The user name on ebay is similar to the one on [H] and the location is the same. I have sent a PM to the user and tried reporting it to ebay but there really is no way to do that.

Needless to say the user is now on my DNT list. Is there anything else I can or should do on this?

Just ran into this myself and had two people steal my images in the past few days. One of them even copied my description verbatim which I thought was unusual for a user with 500+ feedback. Seeing as you own the copyright to the images, you can do what I did and file copyright infringement notices with eBay. They are actually quite quick to act upon them and in both cases took down the listings in under 24 hours. If they keep doing it, eBay will disable their account. File a report here: http://pages.ebay.com/vero/notice.html

I also watermarked all of my images as a result. At least that took very little work...

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
And that is why, when people say I have feedback on eBay but no heatware or feedback on any other forum, i reply, you know nothing :)

And that is why, when people say I have feedback on eBay but no heatware or feedback on any other forum, i reply, you know nothing :)

I only have feedback on ebay because that's where everything sells. Heatware is an obscure feedback system outside this forum.

Some other forums require that and it seems to work ok AFAIK.....

I've bought & sold lots of stuff from some of those places without any issues whatsoever, but then again I've never had any problems buying (or selling) things here either...

The fleebay hijacking of photos & descriptions has been going on as long as I can remember, as far back as '96 (when I started selling stuff there). Hopefully they have gotten better/more vigilant about stopping it, but that has to be a 24/7/365 job all in itself.......

And for the record, I would much rather rely on Heatware when dealing with folks on here.....and if they happen to have good ebay feedback too, so be it, but I will not rely on it exclusively if the person doesn't have any Heat.....

Last edited:
Actually I noticed that other sites which have implemented mandatory picture / name embedding have seen their trade levels plummet. It's just a severe hassle sometimes for low cost stuff. As for EBAY feedback it's completely worthless for buyer feedback. For seller feedback it's probably stricter than Heatware.

I don't think the name & ID is needed here as a requirement. The community here on [H] is one of the best I have ran across. If the buyer (or seller) uses common sense 99% of the transactions here are fine.

That might be useful in some cases, but you're just walling yourself off from like 90% of potential buyers. Everyone has an ebay account / feedback (or most), and relatively few people have heatware.

That might be useful in some cases, but you're just walling yourself off from like 90% of potential buyers. Everyone has an ebay account / feedback (or most), and relatively few people have heatware.

True and that is completely fine with me (I know, more than half the people selling their stuff usually want to sell them as fast as possible) but for me, safety comes first, especially since i've been screwed over twice via paypal before. If someone doesn't have any feedback on any forum (Some forums, like OCN, have their own rating system, so Heatware isn't a must, just any known forum is usually fine) then I refuse to go ahead with the transaction.

I only have feedback on ebay because that's where everything sells. Heatware is an obscure feedback system outside this forum.

not entirely true, although Heatware is less popular, most people that have accounts there, tend to trust it more than eBay feedback.

eBay feedback is garbage. You cannot be left anything but positive feedback on there as a buyer.

Also for the record, it was more than just copying the photos/description. There's really next to no chance they had the same item with the identical configuration (see the first item in my FS thread and you'll understand). They were making fake eBay listings in the end. As to what purpose they might serve, I have no idea because at least the item of mine that they copied is not something that would sell quickly.

This is sorta strange. I have some stuff listed in the FS forum. I was on ebay and I happened to find the items I have listed, using the pictures I took (including using some of the wrong ones for the item). The user name on ebay is similar to the one on [H] and the location is the same. I have sent a PM to the user and tried reporting it to ebay but there really is no way to do that.

Needless to say the user is now on my DNT list. Is there anything else I can or should do on this?

So OP ... are you going to name names so that we can add this seller to our lists?

not entirely true, although Heatware is less popular, most people that have accounts there, tend to trust it more than eBay feedback.

I also tend to trust heat more than ebay feedback. The only person i delt with that only had ebay feedback i messaged on ebay to confirm it was the same person, not perfect but helps.

I don't do much buying and selling though so my heat is pretty sparse too lol.

The way I read it is that it isn't member here. It is some guy on Ebay stealing pictures and using them for his items he doesn't have.

Which has nothing to do with [H]. It is a common issue on Ebay. Not sure why it is even still open at this point. As all this should be handled between the OP, Ebay and the Ebay seller.

You cannot really trust any feedback site now. All can be washed over with with fake feedbacks or game keys feedback now. As long as you do your research you can find out a good deal to be safe.

So OP ... are you going to name names so that we can add this seller to our lists?

The way I read it is that it isn't member here. It is some guy on Ebay stealing pictures and using them for his items he doesn't have.

Which has nothing to do with [H]. It is a common issue on Ebay. Not sure why it is even still open at this point. As all this should be handled between the OP, Ebay and the Ebay seller.

You cannot really trust any feedback site now. All can be washed over with with fake feedbacks or game keys feedback now. As long as you do your research you can find out a good deal to be safe.

The user is a member here. He expressed interest in a few things I was selling they then were listed on ebay for a higher price than I quoted him.

His [H] user name is MAX_M. He took down the auctions but seeing as he has done this to other users here I don't mind naming him.

That makes a bit more sense then. He should have just used the name to begin with. Interesting as he is still a active member of Anandtech. They will pretty much ban on site for anything out of the ordinary. Maybe something will be done. He only has one negative on his heatware account also. Perhaps he is trying to keep a low profile.

http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=67275

I seen people use multiple accounts to boost prices on a auction and if it didn't sale at that price. They would get a friend to get it, get feedback and list it again in a week or so.

There was that one guy on [H] buying feedback for a dollar on here. You leave good feedback he gives you a dollar. So you spend 1 dollar and get 2 back. It was some crazy stuff back then.

I dont even consider ebay feedback. Its pointless to me.

I don't think MAX_M is happy with me posting this thread.

TType85 said:
You are being un-ethical and you are committing fraud. You were selling stuff you do not own. You are also stealing pictures to represent what you are "selling".

Here is your listings of my items.
http://imgur.com/SUG7lmx
http://imgur.com/Dg6YyvX

Please do not contact me again.

MAX_M said:
Whats your problem? Did I stolen from you something, or harm you with something, why you publishing my name and still blaming me? If I wanted make some money, what it's criminal?
Any way thank you!

TType85 said:
So, why are you selling my stuff on ebay? Even stealing my pics (and using the wrong ones).

From my thread (http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1850377)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thin...Server-Intel-Xeon-E52620v2-2011-/171669434739

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TYAN-S7012G...830?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27f84bb99e

BTW the X5650's are no longer for sale, just the board.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I guess they were just planning to buy the items from us if they managed to sell them on eBay and enjoy the difference in profit. Too bad for them, I own the copyright to my images, so yes, they were in fact stealing things seeing as they're in the US and the same laws apply to both of us. I flip some items myself, but I at least take the gamble in buying them initially and don't have anything listed for sale that I do not have possession of.

Ok, I'm that guy. First thing, I have sent offer to TType85, and only after his responded I have put on ebay selling, because don't needed all components from his server. ok, this all my bad, but why this guy publishing PMs, and still blaming me. I don't stolen any thing from him or harm him. If you happy do that go on...

Ok, I'm that guy. First thing, I have sent offer to TType85, and only after his responded I have put on ebay selling, because don't needed all components from his server. ok, this all my bad, but why this guy publishing PMs, and still blaming me. I don't stolen any thing from him or harm him. If you happy do that go on...
No, you're not going to get away with that excuse. You have had zero communication with me and copied my items as well.

OK, I'm going to play devil's advocate here.
Outside of some (c) violations which are so minimal as to be harmless, the guy's just capitalizing on your undervaluation of the product. If he knows of a market that will pay more and he wants to resell as soon as he purchases... there's nothing wrong with that.

Now, if we want to talk about some unwritten rule about keeping [H]FS/FT goods within the community, ok, but i'm not one for "unwritten rules."

Outside of some (c) violations which are so minimal as to be harmless, the guy's just capitalizing on your undervaluation of the product. If he knows of a market that will pay more and he wants to resell as soon as he purchases... there's nothing wrong with that.

Now, if we want to talk about some unwritten rule about keeping [H]FS/FT goods within the community, ok, but i'm not one for "unwritten rules."

It is fraudulent to be selling things you do not own. Simple as that. If he wanted to flip them for a profit, he should have posted the ebay listings AFTER he purchased the items, not before.

Undervalued or just someone who doesn't like dealing with ebay/PayPal fees.

I'm kind of torn on this. I've had instances where I buy bundle items and flip the stuff I don't need. But I at least wait until I have items in hand before listing them. I really don't see copyright infringement. That sword swings both ways as your pictures show copyrighted logos and products. It would be different if you showed financial harm being done to you.

Just my 2 cents...don't shoot the messenger :)

It is fraudulent to be selling things you do not own. Simple as that. If he wanted to flip them for a profit, he should have posted the ebay listings AFTER he purchased the items, not before.

That's hair splitting, tbh. If he fully planned on buying and flipping, why not cut down the turn-around time? Now, if he was taking POs on ebay and then cancelling, ok, but that's something Ebay would crack down on real quick.

But it's not fraud.

That's hair splitting, tbh. If he fully planned on buying and flipping, why not cut down the turn-around time? Now, if he was taking POs on ebay and then cancelling, ok, but that's something Ebay would crack down on real quick.

But it's not fraud.

He was selling something he did not own nor pay for. THAT IS FRAUD. If he sent me the paypal and then listed it on Ebay I would have zero issue.

WADR, not fraud:
http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/fraud

If he did what the you describe, and I bought it from him on ebay, he bought it from you and then shipped to me, and I received it on time... That's just not fraud. Hell, it's drop shipping at worst. Risky for him should he not receive the card, or there's something wrong with it? SURE.
But not fraud.

WADR, not fraud:
http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/fraud

If he did what the you describe, and I bought it from him on ebay, he bought it from you and then shipped to me, and I received it on time... That's just not fraud. Hell, it's drop shipping at worst. Risky for him should he not receive the card, or there's something wrong with it? SURE.
But not fraud.

I concede that is not fraud by the letter of the law. It is very unethical. If he thinks the price is undervalued he should have purchased it and then re-sold it. I also only ship to verified paypal addresses so I would ship it ground to him then he would have to ship it.

** edit he could have listed it the minute he sent the paypal and I would not have cared.

That's operating under the assumption that you'll sell to them. I'm very particular about expensive items, especially ones that I have listed for $7000. Either way, they stole my copyrighted images and eBay sided with me and removed their listing.

Thousands sitting in America and selling stuff from china and other countries, and not seen what they selling, but have note:"allow 14-25 days for delivery". What it's fraud or stealing? I have bought from newegg a week ago web-camera that they not have because shipment from china, maybe I should ask them, why you selling that you do not owe, fraud, and stealing from China sellers?

Thousands sitting in America and selling stuff from china and other countries, and not seen what they selling, but have note:"allow 14-25 days for delivery". What it's fraud or stealing? I have bought from newegg a week ago web-camera that they not have because shipment from china, maybe I should ask them, why you selling that you do not owe, fraud, and stealing from China sellers?

You sure you're not running a store front here or something? All I can see from your posting history is your bumping FS/FT threads... And that one TTT thread you were involved with when you accidentally sold someone a 3770 and not a 3770K.

There is a difference. They have agreements with companies that they drop ship from BEFORE they sell/offer to sell items.

I'll tell you what, I have a bridge for sale* $1b.

* I don't currently own or have possession of said bridge but I will deliver it 15-20 days after you buy it from me.

Trying to justify what you were doing by comparing yourself to a drop shipper isn't going to work. Newegg carries inventory and you probably bought from a third party seller on there anyway. Regardless, they have agreements to facilitate such things. You have no assurance that I nor anyone else on this forum will sell to you (and at this point I won't, along with what I presume are a number of others). If you want to flip items from here to eBay, at least buy them first. You also still stole copyrighted images and have no excuses for that.

Seeing as English doesn't appear to be your first language, I'm going to make the assumption that you're not from the US originally. Expectations here as a seller are pretty in line with the points that we've tried to address thus far. While what you're doing (aside from stealing images) isn't illegal, it's generally considered unacceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back