[H] Ubuntu DC Appliance -- alternative approach to Linux crunching/folding

Thanks for the info.

Release we're working on right now is ~5 GB large and features autoexpansion (to drive's size)
so, hopefully, it will make (un)supported drive lists unnecessary :)

Question on this appliance.

Can I take one that's already configured and running on a 6 core amd desktop, and plug it into a 4P system and it reconfigures and starts grabbing bigadv wu?

side note: I need more flash drives man.

You will need to reconfigure it for bigadv manually:
  1. Log in
  2. Open a terminal
  3. Ensure fah is not running (if you had configured fah for autostart at boot you will need to shut it down by means of: pkill fah6)
  4. Enter the following
    Code:
    cd ~/fah
    ./fah6 -configonly
  5. When client prompts 'Change advanced options', answer 'yes'
  6. When client prompts 'Additional client parameters', answer -verbosity 9 -bigadv -smp
  7. Keep remaining options intact -- just press Enter to go with current setting
  8. Start the client:
    Code:
    ./fah6

Note: when you first boot the drive on another machine, it may complain about "low graphics mode". Shall that happen, just reboot the PC by means of Ctrl+Alt+Del.

I'm assuming this is built on 12.04 LTS with all the common tweaks?? A list detailing the kernel tweaks and optimizations in the OP would help the users track updates and better provide feedback. Just my .02

 
I'm pleased to announce general availability of version 9 of [H] Ubuntu Folding Appliance!

Special thanks go to bowlinra for testing and providing valuable feedback on the image
and the FAQ (which we have significantly expanded). Thank you!

Current users are encouraged to read the FAQ (esp. sections 2 and 4), you won't regret it :)

Appliance changelog is located in the first post.

Feedback is always welcome. If anything's not covered or needs to be expanded, let us know!

Last edited:
Just popping-in to say "most excellent work" by the HardOCP Team. You guys are helping the Folding Community with these kinds of advanced utilities and we appreciate what you are doing for us!! :cool:

I used Version 9 just last night as my PC decided to play a trick instead of giving me a treat.

I must say this is one of the easiest things to use. Thanks guys!

Hello [H], Squirrel here. Getting in on this late. First, thank you for the investment of time and resources you put in on all the FAH work you do. Second, can this appliance support a remote desktop feature either over a network or over the internet? Thank you. :cool:

I do not know if it does this natively, however using FreeNX can allow you to view GUI over a network, and the internet

If you just need the CLI interface, SSH is what you would want, and that *should* be setup already on the appliance.

Hello [H], Squirrel here. Getting in on this late. First, thank you for the investment of time and resources you put in on all the FAH work you do. Second, can this appliance support a remote desktop feature either over a network or over the internet? Thank you. :cool:

You would need to add this, which isn't difficult to do. Here we use SSH for as much as we can as it requires very little in the way of system overhead or bandwidth. It IS the best remote administration method IMO.

Using anything with a GUI is going to have performance implications.

Please start a separate thread. We want to keep this solely for the image. We will be more than happy to help you.

Can you define what "will not work" really means? Does the server try to boot to the USB drive? What errors do you see? Can you boot to something like a Ubuntu LiveUSB drive?

I second the suggestion to start a new thread on this in the general DC section.

Downloaded this appliance over the weekend and deployed it to 2x 2P and 1x 4p folding rigs. Each of the installations went flawlessly. Great job and thank you for the efforts that went into creating this.

Sounds like a drive that would have failed in production.

I finally got a chance to run this and all I can say is sheet!!!

Thanks tear and gents!
grinning-smiley-003.gif

Tanner2 from evga stopping in to say....
Wow that was easy. Was not ready to just sit back and enjoy the install.
I will fold for a while on your team to say thanks.
Also thanks Tear, Nathan and the rest.
Started a 2p e5 2650 v2 it's running great.

Good to hear. The goal was to make it as easy as possible for anyone to have a turnkey solution.

Tanner2 from evga stopping in to say....
Wow that was easy. Was not ready to just sit back and enjoy the install.
I will fold for a while on your team to say thanks.
Also thanks Tear, Nathan and the rest.
Started a 2p e5 2650 v2 it's running great.

Nice to see you got it working:)

When I plug in the USB drive to my mobo ( supermicro h8qme-2 )
it gets to the part where you select Ubuntu, memtest, ubuntu.... and after that, instead of booting it just sits there with a dash line blinking in the upper right hand corner....

it properly installed on the stick!
any ideas?

Thanks for the report.

This problem has been reported once in the past but I haven't been able to troubleshoot it
due to not having the board (IIRC it was one of Asus 2P 2011 boards) handy.

If you have time, do you think you could try transferring the image to a (spare) hard drive
and see if that makes any difference wrt ability to boot?

Let me arrange earlier version of the appliance for you as well, it worked better on the
other problematic board. Will let you know.

orion,

See sc0tty's post for NUMA-aware BOINC client.

I'll add support for other DC projects to version 10 TODO list.

Running. This now it starts a WU says turning dynamic load balancing on. Then my server reboots.

Tried deleting the work dir and cores but still the same thing.

4p system

Sounds like too high an OC or possibly a PSU issue.
What are your 4P rig specs?

sounds eerily similar to an issue i had with a socket F system i had...

Check pads and verify HSF is not over torqued as well.

And if you still experience issues, create a fresh thread please as your problem isn't specific
to the appliance.

any chance you could turn this into a PXE image? This seems like a prime candidate for PXE booting for massive network processing.

Back