[H] Titan Benching/Overclocks/Performance Thread

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
My EVGA Titan came in today and I ran a couple of early tests with it.

Baseline is RE6 Benchmark on 660Ti at 1225/6600

1080p Score: 16322 all settings to high, NV control panel default, vsync off
1440p Score: 12348 all settings to high, NV control panel default, vsync off

Titan (same settings as 660Ti SLI) Clocks 1124 some downclock to 1071 during runs/RAM first runs 6300

1080p Score: 15996
1440p Score: 11226

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dawn of War II performance test:

Core: 1071-1150
Ram: 6450

Average FPS: 107
Max FPS: 228
Min FPS: 34

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Valley Benchmark

Core: 1110-1150
RAM: 6450

Extreme HD
FPS: 70.4
Score: 2945

Min: 33.4 FPS
Max: 133 FPS

Last edited:
Sooo...it's slower than 660 Ti SLI?

Yes it appears to be a little bit slower in this benchmark than two decently overclocked 660Ti's.

Once I get my RAM speed up on the Titan performance should improve a bit.

This is a directx 9 benchmark. Don't take it for the total picture of Titan performance.

isnt it pretty safe to say sli 670s will be really close though in terms of performance? especially at 2560x1440?

isnt it pretty safe to say sli 670s will be really close though in terms of performance? especially at 2560x1440?

Yes, in games that scale at near 100%. The Titan will never have scaling problems.

i know some games don't even care about all the new features a new video card might have(even if the card is double the performance of a single previously released card), F.E.A.R. engine is one of these games, more actual cores give much better results then a more powerful single card, from tests i see, it's all how the programmers coded it. In some games titles programing, just having an extra available core yields more results, but if you load an intensive game titan should shine, possibly destroy sli in certain titles

its way harder for me to justify it since i already have a 670.

if i had a 460 or a 570, probably be willing to drop the dough..

but haswell is coming i think ill save for that and sli my 670s

excited for those of you with a titan though, and jealous :)

Congrats on the card, do you play guild wars 2 or tera by any chance? Debating titan/7970 xfire/680 sli

Well, I was full expecting my benchmark numbers to be complete tonight but I have run across some interesting aspects with Titan. I think I may have an inkling why some of these performance numbers and charts are low and all over the place. Apparently, even with all "limiters" set to max: (106% power target, 94 deg C, +38mv for an even 1.2v), the cards are throttling pretty bad for some reason.

The fan's max out at 85% even though you can set up to 100%. (they are super quiet btw which is amazing), and with the GPU's maxed out at 85% fan I am staying below 60 C. (I also removed the rear brackets which tend to slow the air down and create noise). Power % virtually never goes over 100% so it's not hitting the 106% limiter, they aren't even on the same planet as the temperature limiter, so not quite sure what is going on here and why they are throttling down.

As an example, my cards in SLI are limited to about a 1150 MHz core. Running some benchmarks like Valley 1.0, the GPU usage will be maxed out yet the core frequencies drop down to the ~1050 MHz range with a power % draw of ~90's well under the 106% limit and temps under 60 C. It makes no sense (not a CPU limit as the GPU utilization stays at 99%). It's like the cards aren't properly reacting to the demand. Not only that, the voltage drops down from 1.2v to as low as 1.1v under full load when the clocks drop down and then the voltages bounce around wildly. The only thing I can think of us that the launch drivers are just crap or that EVGA Precision 4.0 isn't reading stuff correctly.

I'll have to play around with the cards more but I'm not too impressed so far. All of these cards will max out around the same clocks and there is no reason to water cool them unless you need to lessen the already fairly low noise. The stock air cooler is handling everything I can throw at it without even breaking a sweat. The testing continues...

Wonder if its some arbitrary voltage lock in the bios, software attempts to change it, then the hardware lock kicks in, keeping it from going to your max?

Are you running them off the Pro-1200? You're using 314.09 or newer? Something's wrong here. The Titans should be around 40% faster than the 670. I'm not seeing any reviews that are in line with the results you're seeing. How do they compare when run individually?

2560x1440 benches are done (both 314.09):

graph.jpg

Going to work on Surround benches after work.

Thanks Vega, it does appear that two titans will give me that elusive 120fps steady in BF3 I couldn't get with two 680's. Heavy cost though, I ordered one to see how it will do @1080p (not really interested in higher res anymore, for competitive play the IPS panels I found to be too slow). I hope one of these will give me decent enough performance with no microstutter while waiting for the 780.

Is the throttling and voltage jumps a function of heat/temp of the cores? Like some limit they put in the bios of the card that automatically changes volts based on temps or something instead of fan speed?

Nope, my cards stay under 60 C at max load. It's a TDP limit and it's very annoying. It takes the GPU fan power into the limit too. :(

It's a BIOS limitation, yes? I imagine there is a way to workaround that..

Wow only 33% more performance over SLI 680's for 110% more cost?

I heard that compute wise this thing is selling like hotcakes because the performance of this card is pretty close to that of a 4600.00 Tesla card.... So its a no brainer for those ppl. But for gaming this is only for the E-peen / money to blow guys.

I heard that compute wise this thing is selling like hotcakes because the performance of this card is pretty close to that of a 4600.00 Tesla card.... So its a no brainer for those ppl. But for gaming this is only for the E-peen / money to blow guys.
Wait for Surround benchmarks. For a single monitor these are a silly purchase. For people who like to game on multiple screens these are far and away the best option.

Just a humble poster, but can we keep this thread on topic about bench / oc / perf please ... (there are plenty other threads for high cost / vs radeon / etc)

Hopefully KGB and KeplerBiosEditor guys are on the job already, or soon. Anyone know for sure?

I would be slightly concerned about how beefy the VRM hardware is on the Titan, personally. If they restricted it to a 265W TDP purely via BIOS, I wonder if this will be a repeat of the GTX 590 situation if workarounds are discovered.

I wonder how well titan will be performing in 2-3 months. I want to see with driver improvements how fast titan will actually be. Its getting harder and harder not to buy them.

from what I understood. Is Titan will always throttle down even if you max out the power to 106%, and the volts to 1.2v IT will always stay below the 265watt TDP limit period, and thats built into the card.

Maybe thats what you are seeing

Also titan will clocked down further when you stay above 75c or something like that, not sure why, but I read about that in numerous reviews.

Those are not regular 680's the Titan's were put up against though. 1380 MHz Classifieds with EVBot that cost $700/card new.

Those are not regular 680's the Titan's were put up against though. 1380 MHz Classifieds with EVBot that cost $700/card new.

All the reviews I have read are only getting 40% over regular SLI 680s.

To finish off my benches in Surround:

graph2.jpg

The increased bandwidth of Titan over 680's in Surround hasn't really materialized. The performance gain is almost identical to a single 2560x1440 monitor gain that I've seen in my previous test.

Honestly for the price and with the throttling issues, Titan hasn't terribly impressed me. Granted I had some killer 680 Classifieds to put them up against that were only $300 cheaper per card when new. One thing I did notice about Titan though is that it has always run incredibly smooth in all benchmarks. No stuttering, pausing etc. Titan does have some pretty amazing build quality and air cooler (amazingly quiet for the amount of air it moves). With the back-brackets removed and max overclock I am not even breaking 60 C. Too bad NVIDIA's gimped power system and throttling really prevents one from pushing these cards and makes water cooling worthless.

PICT0007-4.jpg

PICT0011-4.jpg

Just tested mine vs a single 680 in my SG08. Sorry for the rough and shitty testing with only 3dmark, but hopefully this will give m-ITX owners some insight.

All were done on 314.09 on the demo version of 3dmark. I don't know how increasing the the resolution/settings affect these scores, but 3dmark is my only testing tool.

i5-3570k @4.3

Reference GTX 680 @ +110 core/~300mem (IIRC?) Whatever people average on a ref 680 is what I had, wasn't anything crazy.

Firestrike - 6663

Stock GTX Titan right out of the box (hit 80 degrees but whisper quiet)

Firestrike - 8332

GTX Titan with 85 deg target, +100 core, +0 mem, modified fan speeds (never broke 79 deg). Boosted to 1150 core.

Firestrike - 9178

Some non-performance remarks. My Titan has coil whine, which is why I returned a 7970 and ended with the 680 about a year ago. It doesn't whine at idle like the 7970 but we'll see. Hopefully it will go away, otherwise it's a test of Amazon vs Newegg's return policy! Can't have a whiney card when a video card is basically in open air in the SG08.

The fan sounds awesome, maxed out around 3900rpm(thats the 80% max that vega mentioned actually) but is a solid low woosh, where the 680 was annoying and high pitched jet.

Anyone know what a 7970 runs on the free 3dmark settings? I'm guessing the titan isn't performing that much better.

Last edited:
I settled on a 10~11% overclock, approx 1100/3300 (+110/+300). Works great! :cool: Was hoping for a 1200 golden sample, but I can't remember the last time I won the cpu/gpu overclocking lottery.

Nope, my cards stay under 60 C at max load. It's a TDP limit and it's very annoying. It takes the GPU fan power into the limit too. :(

That is depressing, wonder if there is a way to flash around this or if the card is a hard lock down.

Will you benchmark a geforce titan against a geforce 4 TI 4600 on unreal UT2003 for me?

Too bad NVIDIA's gimped power system and throttling really prevents one from pushing these cards and makes water cooling worthless

I'm hoping the non-reference cards resolve this issue. Great benchmark data, though.

Will you benchmark a geforce titan against a geforce 4 TI 4600 on unreal UT2003 for me?

I see what you did there...

To finish off my benches in Surround:

graph2.jpg

The increased bandwidth of Titan over 680's in Surround hasn't really materialized. The performance gain is almost identical to a single 2560x1440 monitor gain that I've seen in my previous test.

Honestly for the price and with the throttling issues, Titan hasn't terribly impressed me. Granted I had some killer 680 Classifieds to put them up against that were only $300 cheaper per card when new. One thing I did notice about Titan though is that it has always run incredibly smooth in all benchmarks. No stuttering, pausing etc. Titan does have some pretty amazing build quality and air cooler (amazingly quiet for the amount of air it moves). With the back-brackets removed and max overclock I am not even breaking 60 C. Too bad NVIDIA's gimped power system and throttling really prevents one from pushing these cards and makes water cooling worthless.

PICT0007-4.jpg

PICT0011-4.jpg
Interesting, I honestly was expecting better. Definitely not worth it for me then. I have EVGA reference 680s that I bought on release day that run over 1300MHz, and I primarily game on a 2560x1440 screen. Guess I'll sit this round out.

Just tested mine vs a single 680 in my SG08. Sorry for the rough and shitty testing with only 3dmark, but hopefully this will give m-ITX owners some insight.

All were done on 314.09 on the demo version of 3dmark. I don't know how increasing the the resolution/settings affect these scores, but 3dmark is my only testing tool.

i5-3570k @4.3

Reference GTX 680 @ +110 core/~300mem (IIRC?) Whatever people average on a ref 680 is what I had, wasn't anything crazy.

Firestrike - 6663

Stock GTX Titan right out of the box (hit 80 degrees but whisper quiet)

Firestrike - 8332

GTX Titan with 85 deg target, +100 core, +0 mem, modified fan speeds (never broke 79 deg). Boosted to 1150 core.

Firestrike - 9178

Some non-performance remarks. My Titan has coil whine, which is why I returned a 7970 and ended with the 680 about a year ago. It doesn't whine at idle like the 7970 but we'll see. Hopefully it will go away, otherwise it's a test of Amazon vs Newegg's return policy! Can't have a whiney card when a video card is basically in open air in the SG08.

The fan sounds awesome, maxed out around 3900rpm(thats the 80% max that vega mentioned actually) but is a solid low woosh, where the 680 was annoying and high pitched jet.

Anyone know what a 7970 runs on the free 3dmark settings? I'm guessing the titan isn't performing that much better.

Single MSI 7970 Lightning @ 1200/1650 and 2600K @ 5.2 ... My other Lightning is out on RMA atm

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/315540? 7962

You know you are having a good day when a box this large from Frozencpu arrives for your Titan chilled liquid build:

pict00034.jpg

pict0006rx.jpg

Those EK Titan water block boxes are so small!

Back