[H] Thoughts on chipset coolers?

That NB heatsink (per your pic) is perfect for using silicone adhesive (aka Silicone RTV adhesive) to glue a small fan blowing down and give you all the NB cooling you would ever need. a 40 or 50mm fan, measure the heatsink, med speed of 1600rpm or less so it is not whiny, would be perfect. If possible and it looks like it is, pull that "bling" label off of the top before glueing the fan on.

If you really want to get into it, take the stock one off and replace the pad/grease with AS5. Your NB heatsink has the nice spring tension hold downs so there is no need to worry about replacing that.

There is usually no need but if you wanted too you could also put a fan on the SB heatsink but it would not help the OC any.

What you might want to look at is extra cooling for the mosfets around the cpu area, there are 8 of them. 2 pairs of 2 between the cpu and the I/O area and 2 pairs of 2 between the cpu and the edge of the board. With the power draw of a overclocked quad and the possibiltiy of an aftermarket heatsink that might eliminate the downwards "blow by" of the stock Intel heatsink, having good airflow over those components and the others (caps and inductors) aroud the cpu area is a very good idea for long board life and stability at a high OC.

So it may be that a stragetically placed larger fan blowing air such that it washes across that whole area of the board would be a good overall solution to both the NB and the cpu voltage regulation components remaining cool under heavy load. A lot depends on your case airflow, video card used, etc. etc.

edit: looking at your case now, if the one in your sig it should be excellent for OCing and have some fan mounting options that would just need a fan moved or added.

Please edit your post, direct hot links to pictures are not allowed, just paste in the link to the newegg pic and not the pic itself.
Like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Image...5TS-R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Last edited:
That is an awesome case for OCing, the huge side fan should mostly eliminate the issues I mentioned above. If you want to go for overkill, mount your CD/DVD etc, in the lower 2 external 5 1/4 bays and put a bay cooler in the top 3 bays which will shoot additional air right into the area we are concerned with.

One crazy idea is that since that side panel is mesh, if the holes would allow it, some extra washers might help, but if you could move that huge side fan up a little higher on the side panel, its big enough it will still give the video all the air it needs, it would also be blowing on the mosfets/cpu voltage regulation ciricuits.

But after looking at that case, if that side fan moves much air at all, I dont think you are going to have any kinds of issues with hot board components giving you a problem. The trouble will be that the side fan will likely not let you use the huge tower cooler and you will need to pay attention to that when choosing a 3rd party heatsink. BTW I get 3.2GHz out of the stock Intel heatsink with Q6600's so check it out before dropping a lot of cash.

Last edited:
That is an awesome case for OCing, the huge side fan should mostly eliminate the issues I mentioned above. If you want to go for overkill, mount your CD/DVD etc, in the lower 2 external 5 1/4 bays and put a bay cooler in the top 3 bays which will shoot additional air right into the area we are concerned with.

One crazy idea is that since that side panel is mesh, if the holes would allow it, some extra washers might help, but if you could move that huge side fan up a little higher on the side panel, its big enough it will still give the video all the air it needs, it would also be blowing on the mosfets/cpu voltage regulation ciricuits.

But after looking at that case, if that side fan moves much air at all, I dont think you are going to have any kinds of issues with hot board components giving you a problem. The trouble will be that the side fan will likely not let you use the huge tower cooler and you will need to pay attention to that when choosing a 3rd party heatsink. BTW I get 3.2GHz out of the stock Intel heatsink with Q6600's so check it out before dropping a lot of cash.

I'm using an OCZ Vanquisher which is a rebadge Arctic freezer pro 7 tower deal. No complaints works easy with the side fan. Thanks I'll try and mount a 120mm in the empty 5.25 drive bays.

Back