[H] Thermal Compound TIM Round-up Candidates

I read through and didn't see why no liquid metals as you stated in the first post? I know you have some on hand from the delidding, any reason for not using it in the test?

I would suggest Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and/or Conductonaut (if you do metal TIMs).

I read through and didn't see why no liquid metals as you stated in the first post? I know you have some on hand from the delidding, any reason for not using it in the test?

I would suggest Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and/or Conductonaut (if you do metal TIMs).

maybe due all the work it take to purify the CPU and cooler surface once metal TIM is applied, some Liquid Metal Tims require specialized lapping in order to return to a somewhat original state of the CPU IHS and CPU cooler. in other words PITA to test and review that doesn't worth all the time spent

maybe due all the work it take to purify the CPU and cooler surface once metal TIM is applied, some Liquid Metal Tims require specialized lapping in order to return to a somewhat original state of the CPU IHS and CPU cooler. in other words PITA to test and review that doesn't worth all the time spent

This I know, however his block is already mirror finished, assuming lapped already, and you also test them last, so cleanup is not an issue. They really are not that hard to remove either, and a few of them have come out with cleaning solutions, a quick rub on a lapping block however I find to be the best. You don't really need to test the whole range of metal TIMs, as most of them are exactly the same, one or two to give an idea to people the kind of temp swing from a normal paste to the metal TIMs.

Also curious; I have a Corsair AIO en route and was debating using the stock paste vs swapping AS5 on there. To be fair, I'll probably use the stock stuff and try AS-5 if I don't like what i see, but seeing some numbers side by side would be nice.

Rubbing alcohol and and credit card will scrape off the excess. No need to lap.

Also curious; I have a Corsair AIO en route and was debating using the stock paste vs swapping AS5 on there. To be fair, I'll probably use the stock stuff and try AS-5 if I don't like what i see, but seeing some numbers side by side would be nice.
the stock paste is actually quite good. youd be hard pressed to see a difference, I didn't when I repasted my 280 aio with as5.

Thermalright has their new TF6, TF8 and TFX thermal paste out now. Miaybe worth adding them to list.

The test that never was. 😿
Probably not comparable to anything the [H]ard ever did but it's something. https://www.tomshardware.com/best-picks/best-thermal-paste published 3 days ago
I like how almost none of the pastes "tested" list any reasons not to buy... How about... The performance sucks, especially the one with the lowest performance?

They also say the liquid metal ones are difficult to apply. I just built a system and used the Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut. With the provided swabs, it was pretty easy to apply.

I like how almost none of the pastes "tested" list any reasons not to buy... How about... The performance sucks, especially the one with the lowest performance?

They also say the liquid metal ones are difficult to apply. I just built a system and used the Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut. With the provided swabs, it was pretty easy to apply.
Tom's Hardware, amazed they can spell paste.:p

The sheer number of ads that popped up when I tried to read that article made me close it. I don't have an opposition to ads, but when I have to close them so often that I can't even read a half screen on my phone... no good.
Anyway, PK-3 and MX-5 are the two I've heard recommended the most often. I can't remember what compound exactly it was, because I got it six years ago, but whatever came with my Cryorig M9i seemed to be pretty good as well.

The sheer number of ads that popped up when I tried to read that article made me close it. I don't have an opposition to ads, but when I have to close them so often that I can't even read a half screen on my phone... no good.
Anyway, PK-3 and MX-5 are the two I've heard recommended the most often. I can't remember what compound exactly it was, because I got it six years ago, but whatever came with my Cryorig M9i seemed to be pretty good as well.
You hit one reason I rarely go there.
Dont allow scripting or selectively block for a better experience.
I use PC only for browsing btw, not sure what tools are available for mobile.

Nice that people still talk about TIM, but its less of a "big deal" than it used to be. I think we've come close to optimizing TIM as long as the style of heatsink/coldplate, application, and mounting style is going to be similar ; there are relatively few TIM comparisons compared to 5 or 10 years ago when there was a new one almost every year and sometimes significant (ie 5+ degrees C ) differences between the top tier and lower ones etc. Then again, it seems that many sites are less focused on overclocking these days and not doing the kind of reviews in depth the way that [H] used to do. Some say the more in depth stuff have moved to certain video channels, but that's another discussion.

Anyway, its no surprise to see liquid metal at the top again and in their own special category. The performance was always at the top, tempered by a more difficult install and the possibility of being electrically conductive and frying something on the board if it leaked out, dripped etc..or was otherwise improperly installed; certain kinds used to be hard to remove/cleanup as well! Conductonaut being the new top premium metal-style TIM makes sense, as Thermal Grizzly seems to be doing well overall and they also make it easier to install given their enhanced syringe, tips and other applicators/swabs. I can remember reading about Indigo XTreme and similar hard-pads in the old days where you needed to temporarily run your proc without the cooler plugged in in order to melt and bond the TIM !

For the standard pastes it seems that not a lot has changed in the past few years given their suggestions. However, I am surprised to see Prolimatech PK-3 at the top of the list. Don't get me wrong its a great premium (standard, non-liquid metal type) paste but I was to understand that overall Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut was a step ahead. I'm also curious why they didn't use the newer Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme, but I doubt most users would go wrong with either. Prolimatech PK-3 and Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut (extreme) being some of the best premium pastes still in 2022 make sense.

and regarding ads, sadly they're everywhere these days and an ad/tracker blocker is nearly required for those who are technically adept and want to avoid the normal ad-laden experience. I suggest using uBlock Origin with the properly updated lists, preferably with Firefox on both desktop or mobile, but it is also compatible with Chrome/ium based browsers too.

Back