[H] Thermal Compound TIM Round-up Candidates

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by FrgMstr, Jan 11, 2017.

1. BlueFireIce

BlueFireIce [H]ardness Supreme

I read through and didn't see why no liquid metals as you stated in the first post? I know you have some on hand from the delidding, any reason for not using it in the test?

I would suggest Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and/or Conductonaut (if you do metal TIMs).

2. Araxie

Araxie [H]ardness Supreme

maybe due all the work it take to purify the CPU and cooler surface once metal TIM is applied, some Liquid Metal Tims require specialized lapping in order to return to a somewhat original state of the CPU IHS and CPU cooler. in other words PITA to test and review that doesn't worth all the time spent

3. BlueFireIce

BlueFireIce [H]ardness Supreme

This I know, however his block is already mirror finished, assuming lapped already, and you also test them last, so cleanup is not an issue. They really are not that hard to remove either, and a few of them have come out with cleaning solutions, a quick rub on a lapping block however I find to be the best. You don't really need to test the whole range of metal TIMs, as most of them are exactly the same, one or two to give an idea to people the kind of temp swing from a normal paste to the metal TIMs.

4. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

5. tsuehpsyde

tsuehpsyde [H]ardness Supreme

Also curious; I have a Corsair AIO en route and was debating using the stock paste vs swapping AS5 on there. To be fair, I'll probably use the stock stuff and try AS-5 if I don't like what i see, but seeing some numbers side by side would be nice.

6. thesmokingman

thesmokingman [H]ardness Supreme

Rubbing alcohol and and credit card will scrape off the excess. No need to lap.

7. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

the stock paste is actually quite good. youd be hard pressed to see a difference, I didn't when I repasted my 280 aio with as5.

tsuehpsyde likes this.
  8. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

The thermal compound comparison that never will be. I am Jack's disappointment.

9. Spartacus09

Spartacus09 Gawd

I mean, maybe if he’s still using an intel system to test them :D?

10. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

I have all the TIMs to test if anyone feels like running with it. rgMekanic ?

11. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

Well that rules out the Hyper series from coolermaster. ;)
    i keed i keed

12. rgMekanic

rgMekanic [H]ard|News Staff Member

I honestly think I'm going to use the ML240L , dead simple install on our Ryzen test platform, and was extremely consistent throughout testing, so any large swings should be only associated to the TIM.

noko and alxlwson like this.
  13. doyll

doyll Kyle's Thermocouple is HOT

Thermalright has their new TF6, TF8 and TFX thermal paste out now. Miaybe worth adding them to list.